iPod camera connector available to buy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey guys:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.0.1.0.1

I don't know if this has been posted already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:

The iPod Camera Connector provides a fast, easy way to transfer images from your digital camera to your iPod photo.

Bang go the hopes of those (including myself) that hoped this could be used with regular iPods too .

Also, bloody typical, not in the UK store yet.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Am I right in thinking that you CAN'T view the photo's downloaded to the iPod photo from your camera UNITIL you have pluged the iPod into a mac and synched back to iPhoto and then chosen to put the photo's back to the iPod ?

Or is that only the original iPod photo's

j.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

Am I right in thinking that you CAN'T view the photo's downloaded to the iPod photo from your camera UNITIL you have pluged the iPod into a mac and synched back to iPhoto and then chosen to put the photo's back to the iPod ?

Or is that only the original iPod photo's

j.

no you can view them on the ipod photo, but not on a tv until you sync up.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    not available yet on the apple uk store (or if it is there i cannot bloody find it!)

the list of cameras is not available, nor is v1.1 of the software.

moan, whinge, moan
  • Reply 5 of 28
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I'm pretty excited about this!

It looks much better than the prototype shown in the slideshow pic from before. It looks cleaner.

I can't wait to try this out! I wonder how fast it'll be. Hopefully as fast as the small drive and USB 2.0 can support.

Also, will it read a USB card reader? Or only direct from the camera? Here's to hoping that it works with card readers as well because my rebel only has USB 1.1 and I'd like the faster transfer speeds of my card reader. If it doesn't work I don't really care that much- it'll just be nice to be able to download my pics from the field.

Peace

-taco
  • Reply 6 of 28
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I'm pretty excited about this!

It looks much better than the prototype shown in the slideshow pic from before. It looks cleaner.

I can't wait to try this out! I wonder how fast it'll be. Hopefully as fast as the small drive and USB 2.0 can support.

Also, will it read a USB card reader? Or only direct from the camera? Here's to hoping that it works with card readers as well because my rebel only has USB 1.1 and I'd like the faster transfer speeds of my card reader. If it doesn't work I don't really care that much- it'll just be nice to be able to download my pics from the field.

Peace

-taco

I think it was for cameras so you can just plug them in without fiddling with cards. However they're probably using the same drivers as iPhoto so it should work! BUT they need to keep the formatting size down.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    i'm still waiting for apple to add in the list of supported cameras to the support page.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

i'm still waiting for apple to add in the list of supported cameras to the support page.

here it is: http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibil...connector.html

List isn't complete, because the footnote says: This list represents only cameras currently tested by Apple, and does not include all cameras that are supported. The iPod Camera Connector works with digital cameras that support the following transfer protocols: Mass Storage, PTP, and Type 4 (sometimes referred to as "Normal"). Please consult the documentation included with your digital camera to verify support.

Most media card readers use Mass Storage Protocol, so even if your camera didn't support PTP, you can user a card reader to upload your photos into an iPod using the camera connector.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Speedlite

here it is: http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibil...connector.html

List isn't complete, because the footnote says: This list represents only cameras currently tested by Apple, and does not include all cameras that are supported. The iPod Camera Connector works with digital cameras that support the following transfer protocols: Mass Storage, PTP, and Type 4 (sometimes referred to as "Normal"). Please consult the documentation included with your digital camera to verify support.

Most media card readers use Mass Storage Protocol, so even if your camera didn't support PTP, you can user a card reader to upload your photos into an iPod using the camera connector.

great! my sony DSC-P10 is not on the list, but have checked the manual and it supports PTP and 'normal' so I'm good to go!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    my camera connector is shipping! delivery in 2-3 days. just in time for my holiday!
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

my camera connector is shipping! delivery in 2-3 days. just in time for my holiday!

when did u order it? I think I'll pick one up when I get Tiger.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

when did u order it? I think I'll pick one up when I get Tiger.

ordered it on Thursday 24 March. Public holidays here Friday and Monday (in the UK). Had shipping email yesterday. Arrived at my house 5 minutes ago!

just importing now!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    oh apple, that is too cute...

you've had this feature in place for a while. how else would everything just work like that...

• Reply 14 of 28
    OK...

it just works!

plugged the camera connector into the ipod and the screen changes to 'no device connected'. i plug in the usb cable from my camera and i can import.

importing is smooth, quick and does not drain batteries. it actually took less time than importing directly into my old powerbook. you get a thubnail of the importing picture too, and they are stored in rolls just like in iphoto.

i unplugged my camera and plugged the ipod into my mac. but the photos didn't sync. er...

i decide to read the manual in the box. ah, i need to turn on disk target mode. so i turn it on. odd, still not syncing in itunes (which as we knows handles syncing to the ipod photo).

i open iphoto. ah ha! there is my ipod as a recognised import device (just like my camera). click import just like a camera. done.

so smooth.

• Reply 15 of 28
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

OK...

it just works!

plugged the camera connector into the ipod and the screen changes to 'no device connected'. i plug in the usb cable from my camera and i can import.

importing is smooth, quick and does not drain batteries. it actually took less time than importing directly into my old powerbook. you get a thubnail of the importing picture too, and they are stored in rolls just like in iphoto.

i unplugged my camera and plugged the ipod into my mac. but the photos didn't sync. er...

i decide to read the manual in the box. ah, i need to turn on disk target mode. so i turn it on. odd, still not syncing in itunes (which as we knows handles syncing to the ipod photo).

i open iphoto. ah ha! there is my ipod as a recognised import device (just like my camera). click import just like a camera. done.

so smooth.

Sweet. I'll be ordering one with Tiger.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    just showed it to 2 professional photographers i know. they LOVED it. but they wanted to know if it supported RAW import, which according to the apple site it doesn't? my camera does not support RAW, so if anyone gets this to work do let me know!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

OK...

it just works!

so smooth.

Must... resist.. iPod photo... .

I'm pleased to hear that it's fast and doesn't drain batteries. That's the main problem with my 3G iPod + Belkin media reader: it took around 30 minutes to import 512MB, and used around 1/2 a full charge .

Do you have any idea if it will take advantage of USB 2.0 speeds? I've just got a new camera that has a USB 2.0 connection, and it's blindingly fast.

Thanks for the feedback .

Dave.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    oh don't know about usb 2 -- plain old usb 1 on both camera and powerbook i'm afraid.

i did only import 26 images (5 megapixel shots on highest quality), but it took less time than on my powerbook (i should have timed it but it seemed less than a minute) and the battery meter did not even flicker...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Thanks. Sounds good .
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Sweet. I'll be ordering one with Tiger.

me too, if my gf lets me - she's asking what's wrong with my belkin card reader which cost £70 last year. :-(