Apple.com continues Tiger roll-out preparations

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week continued to prep its Web site for the debut of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," which is expected in early April. Most recently, the company quietly launched a new Web site that offers customers a list of Apple Support RSS feeds. "Stay up-to-date with Apple's latest technical support articles," reads a description of the site. The site lists over two dozen new RSS feeds that link to support pages for each of Apple's most popular hardware and software products, in addition to a couple that cover technologies like Bluetooth and QuickTime. Scheduled to ship with Tiger is a new version of Safari, Apple's web browser, which boasts RSS support as one of its major new features. Earlier this month, the company's Mac OS X download Web site accidently listed download options for Automator Actions, Dashboard Widgets, and Spotlight Plugins -- technologies that are supported only under Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger."

Comments

• Reply 2 of 9
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    It's a new section off Apple's corporate web site that references the rss feeds.

How this is a new web site is still a mystery.

Of course I've been reading those feeds since some time in early January.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Earlier this month, the company's Mac OS X download Web site accidently listed download options for ...

Uh well, for a brief moment i was convinced, but

actually -

- i don't believe "accidently", not if "Apple" is involved.

Tight liped as they are.

It is marketing - shall i say "appleing" - at full blast.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    that website has been there a long time. Nice reporting and
  • Reply 5 of 9
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

that website has been there a long time. Nice reporting and

Yes but has it been highlighted on the top of the support page like it is now?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Why are we talking about the page in /support? Why not the one at http://www.apple.com/rss . Not that I think that this is really a big deal.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I go to the support page everyday...I like those boards too and that RSS image at the top is new as of today.

But in my mind...soooo thats important why?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Any idea how to get these feeds to work in Firefox? I guess this is what I should expect from a browser that started out as 'just a browser' and is starting to get the feature creep (hey, let's add a RSS news feed, but make it wacky by hooking it into bookmarks in a weird way!")
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lgnomelgnome Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Any idea how to get these feeds to work in Firefox? I guess this is what I should expect from a browser that started out as 'just a browser' and is starting to get the feature creep (hey, let's add a RSS news feed, but make it wacky by hooking it into bookmarks in a weird way!")

Hi,

ok, after some a rangling, I think I've figured out why there is no link icon for apple.com's rss feeds in FF, and how to add them manually.

1. it looks like the feeds at apple.com/rss do not show up as an icon in FF because apple leaves tags like this out of the <head>:

<link rel="alternate" title="AppleInsider RSS" href="//www.appleinsider.com/appleinsider.rss" type="application/rss+xml">

2. To add feeds manually in FF, I 'bookmarked' an RSS feed that had an icon on the bottom. I then went in the bookmarks and replaced the info for the feed location and title with that of Apple's. viola. live feed works!

I figure FF has an 'add RS Feed manually function', but i can't seem to find how to do it..