iMac trouble free for past 6 months?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I have chance to buy a new and little used iMac. But I'm concered about all the problems that I have read about.

Anyone had problem free use of the 20" iMac G5's that are 4 months or older?

Have the problems been fixed in the recent models?

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Hi,

I have chance to buy a new and little used iMac. But I'm concered about all the problems that I have read about.

Anyone had problem free use of the 20" iMac G5's that are 4 months or older?

Have the problems been fixed in the recent models?

-Scott

I have had mine since November of last year and have not had a single problem with it. My dad also has one and the only problem he had was the AP card was not seated correctly when shipped, other than that absolutly no problems.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

But I'm concered about all the problems that I have read about.

What problems are you referring to?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oceansize

What problems are you referring to?

There many posts on problems with Video going haywire, power supplies burning up and having to replace the mid-plane board. Also noted was excessive fan noise. Here are a few links that I found:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

There was also one on the apple.com/discussion area, but I can't find it right now.

Hope that will give you an idea what I am concered about.

Maybe the vast majority are ok, but wasn curious if others were not having problems

-Scott
  • Reply 4 of 6
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    Found the other links:

From Apples support site

From another Mad site-01

And another

I decided against purchasing the system. Reminds me of the original Macs. The first two I owned (Fat Mac and Mac+) died not long after I sold them. All of them where I worked eventually had the video board blow out. So not sure if this is history repeating itself again with these new iMacs.

-Scott
  • Reply 5 of 6
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I see the defective taiwanese capacitor batch still rears its ugly head quite frequently.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Found the other links:

From Apples support site

From another Mad site-01

And another

I decided against purchasing the system. Reminds me of the original Macs. The first two I owned (Fat Mac and Mac+) died not long after I sold them. All of them where I worked eventually had the video board blow out. So not sure if this is history repeating itself again with these new iMacs.

-Scott

of course, you will find issues on any product, especially searching support boards.... I have a 20" imac, no problems, also g4 cube, flowerpower, indigo, g4 ibook, tangerine ibook, none of them have problems, but if you looked on the support boards at the time... you would see PROBLEMS....