iPod halo effect estimated at a staggering 20 percent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Cost doesn't "force" many people to stop using Macs--they cost less in the long run due to numerous factors. (Less need for support, lower failure rates, longer usable life, no need for antivirus software, etc.) Many Macs even cost less out of the box than fast-selling name-brand PCs... especially once you add the little extras and bundled software than PC makers tend to omit. And need I mention the Mac Mini as a way to afford a Mac?

It's amazing how many times I have to repeat this, but the majority of computers sold are whitebox PCs.

Whitebox PCs are PCs that are pre-assembled but have no brand name label on them.

The margins are so low on these, it's basically like building a computer from http://pricewatch.com and adding 10%.

People DO switch from name brand (Apple, Dell, Compaq) to white box all the time, after finding out that it's the same product (minus support) for half the price. Compaq and Dell used to build whiteboxes, but they found out (dell more recently) that people were buying from the geek down the street or the small business on the corner, and they've consequently gotten out of it.

This is probably where Apple would be losing customers to. Not everyone can afford another mac nowadays, and the mac mini would be a downgrade for some.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Consumers mostly regarding the white box thing.

Every now and then we run into biz clients that "roll their own" but not many. Take a company that has 200 seats. That's alot of work building and maintaining all the parts knowing that all support is coming from your staff.

I think if Apple can get the Mac mini production caught up they could definitely make wave especially is they have some kickass advertising once Tiger hits.

Apple has a year to flog Tiger and Macs before Microsoft can start beating the Longhorn drums. Take advantage now. Tiger is "the" OS to highlight. Apple just needs to keep the iPods flying off the shelves and expand the product line where it needs to be.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Well I can only speak for myself, but out of all my friends who own iPods (and that's pretty much everyone) only 2 of them are sort of talking about getting a Mac. Both of them are only considering it for virus-related reasons though. One of them can't even open up Word files on his computer, and the other is getting a new virus every week.

But then I have some friends who rave Rave RAVE about the iPod but still make fun of Apple computers and would never switch.

Oh well, even one more new Apple customer is a good thing.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

Both of them are only considering it for virus-related reasons though.

Isn't that reason enough?

(reason enough for them to buy Macs, not for Microsoft to develop Mac virii)
  • Reply 25 of 70
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Be warned, this 'could' be like the Blue Jays winning the world series: step one in the demise of the franchise...

Alright Matsu!! Making Red Sox fans sound optimistic!!!! (dang, can't really use that analogy anymore)

Besides didn't kormac predict this migration from the v***iPod, to the v*****mini years ago?!?!?
  • Reply 26 of 70
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

.... Both of them are only considering it for virus-related reasons though. One of them can't even open up Word files on his computer, and the other is getting a new virus every week....

no offense to your friends, but this is the typical idiotic take-it-up-the-ass-from-microsoft behaviour that perpetuates the monopoly

and you'll be surprised, this occurs not just for average consumers but in the corporate workplace as well. hours of wasted productivity thanks to 'money saved' not buying apple

such people (consumers and businesses that like to get REAMED by m$) probably don't deserve to use apple anyway, they're not ready to 'switch' to common sense
  • Reply 27 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Most of my PC owning friends who over the years used to kid me about owning a Mac have stopped. Two have actually switched.

One is an engineer for a large building complex in lower Manhattan, and the other purchases engineering workstations for the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority).

The first bought a 12" Powerbook because he writes JAVA programs for the engineering department and thinks that the Mac is the best JAVA development platform (and he just likes it).

The second just got fed up with all the problems and security hassles. He bought a 15" Powerbook.

Both used to put the Mac down. Now they pick it up and carry it (sorry, I couldn't help it).
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

......Both used to put the Mac down. Now they pick it up and carry it (sorry, I couldn't help it).

LOL
  • Reply 29 of 70
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

iPod use is proving to be more diverse than with competitors not so much because of an intrinsic iPod property but because iPods are hard-drive based players and the majority of competition players on the market are not.

The survey didn't make it clear if they meant all mp3 players or just the direct competition (Rio, iRiver, Creative Zen etc) so I wouldn't like to draw the same conclusion. I could see why flash based players get used less but if the survey was only taking in direct competition then it's quite an interesting statistic.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Workplace constraints might indeed force some people to buy a PC with their own money to use for their employer. But that's not likely to make them give up their Mac.

In short, real live Mac-to-PC switchers must exist. But they're a pretty rare breed compared to the reverse

In business it's not as rare though.

For instance, one of the companies I host a website for was using Macs across two sites with an Xserve at one and a G4 at the other handling mail. They were a Mac only (mostly) shop with 30+ Mac users. The Xserve was new and just bought as a fileserver rather than anything else. The G4 ran the old Eudora Mail server software for both sites. Yes, mad I know but that's what they had.

Anyway, they got in a consultant, who they paid too much money for, and he suggested they install a Win2003 server and Exchange. Presumably he knew bog all about OSX Server.

Since they were a Mac shop, the guy that I usually deal with wasn't overly pleased with having to employ an extra Windows support guy, pay the licencing fees and switch everyone to Entourage so, knowing their webhost knew Macs, they asked me.

So, I told them how to config the xserve for mail and saved them a bundle. With what they saved, they've bought a second xserve and an Xserve RAID and added some web based groupware which they run on the Xserve. ;-)

And it's running wonderfully for them.

The moral of the story is that some companies just don't see Macs as capable of running an enterprise so automatically go the MS route. Especially if they employ clueless consultants who will try and bump up their commission by selling them kit they don't need.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

In business it's not as rare though.

For instance, one of the companies I host a website for was using Macs across two sites with an Xserve at one and a G4 at the other handling mail. They were a Mac only (mostly) shop with 30+ Mac users. The Xserve was new and just bought as a fileserver rather than anything else. The G4 ran the old Eudora Mail server software for both sites. Yes, mad I know but that's what they had.

Anyway, they got in a consultant, who they paid too much money for, and he suggested they install a Win2003 server and Exchange. Presumably he knew bog all about OSX Server.

Since they were a Mac shop, the guy that I usually deal with wasn't overly pleased with having to employ an extra Windows support guy, pay the licencing fees and switch everyone to Entourage so, knowing their webhost knew Macs, they asked me.

So, I told them how to config the xserve for mail and saved them a bundle. With what they saved, they've bought a second xserve and an Xserve RAID and added some web based groupware which they run on the Xserve. ;-)

And it's running wonderfully for them.

The moral of the story is that some companies just don't see Macs as capable of running an enterprise so automatically go the MS route. Especially if they employ clueless consultants who will try and bump up their commission by selling them kit they don't need.

that is a beautiful Apple-in-the-Enterprise story

can you just mention, what is the IMAP-mail-server you are using, and what is the mail clients the users are using? thanks and keep up the great work

f8ck that bullshit-ass consultant rubbish. MS Exchange and Lotus Notes is rubbish.

edit: also, what is this web-based groupware? how does it compare to Lotus if you were to have to convince a small-to-medium-enterprise to stay in Macs or Switch??
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

can you just mention, what is the IMAP-mail-server you are using, and what is the mail clients the users are using? thanks and keep up the great work

edit: also, what is this web-based groupware? how does it compare to Lotus if you were to have to convince a small-to-medium-enterprise to stay in Macs or Switch??

They're using Kerio now. Before that they were up and running with just the built in OSX Server stuff.

http://www.kerio.co.uk/
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

They're using Kerio now. Before that they were up and running with just the built in OSX Server stuff.

http://www.kerio.co.uk/

sweet
  • Reply 34 of 70
    There's people actually buying Apple computers because they bought a ipod??? That doesn't make any sense.

The ipod is like the Xbox...they have their own operating system.

So if I buy a xbox..can I buy WXP?

I have used a Mac since before they were Macs...My mom bought one of the first PowerPCs..a PowerMac 8100 with a PowerPC 601 chip.

The only thing that in my mind,has plagued Apple of late, is the lack of a 2-button mouse..but rumor has it such a thing is being invented..

I use both Macs and PCs...they're both great at what they do. I do like when I put blank media in,Windows asks what I would like to do..and I can drag and drop..MacOSX starts up isomething or other

Powermac= G4 450Mhz with 1.38GB of SDRAM

PC=AMD AthlonXP 1.8Ghz with 1GB of DDR400Mhz

Apple could really shine if they had a lot more third-party support..like in Windows when you connect a device,it loads the drivers.

One really nice thing about Apple...very very little(if none) trouble with spyware...mostly it's pop-ups.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by alaskanblacklab

There's people actually buying Apple computers because they bought a ipod??? That doesn't make any sense.

I have used a Mac since before they were Macs...My mom bought one of the first PowerPCs..a PowerMac 8100 with a PowerPC 601 chip.

The only thing that in my mind,has plagued Apple of late, is the lack of a 2-button mouse..but rumor has it such a thing is being invented..

I use both Macs and PCs...they're both great at what they do. I do like when I put blank media in,Windows asks what I would like to do..and I can drag and drop..MacOSX starts up isomething or other

Apple could really shine if they had a lot more third-party support..like in Windows when you connect a device,it loads the drivers.

One really nice thing about Apple...very very little(if none) trouble with spyware...mostly it's pop-ups.

It's the experience with the whole shebang. The hardware, the software, and for those who go to an Apple store to buy it, the experience of seeing for the first time, a properly set up store full of all the latest, and being able to play with it for the first time.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

No, it's not that. It's the 'Hey, this iPod is a fantastic product, maybe I should look at their other products' realisation going on. The iPod is a foot in the door regardless of if it has any relation to MacOS or not.

Quote:

Right? so the the fate of the Mac rests on the inclusion of a $10 product which is easily replaced with another $10 product should you not like the Apple product. Utter bull. And if you really had used a Mac 'since before they were Macs' (huh?) then you'd realise what a load of crap that statement is.

Quote:

You know, I like the fact that on the Mac I can configure what it does when I insert blank media rather than ask me every friggin time. Perhaps you should learn how to use your Mac properly.

Quote:

1.38GB of RAM? Neat trick. How did you manage that. What's that? two 512MB DIMMS and a 389.12MB one? Or are is that a 1000MB DIMM and a 356MB DIMM?

Quote:

Perhaps it could, although the last camera, scanner, mouse and printer I bought all worked without asking for drivers, whereas I couldn't use the scanner or the mouse fully on my Windows box without having to load in a driver from CD and the camera and printer both needed a reboot before they worked. Funny that. So much for better device support. Then again, my Sony Ericsson phone is not supported via USB on my Mac, only via Bluetooth but the PC supports it by both although I do have to reboot every time I sync via bluetooth on the PC.

Quote:

Hint: stop using Microsoft Internet Explorer on your Mac. You'll find that both Safari and Firefox both block popups. I've not come across ANY spyware on the Mac. And no viruses either.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's the experience with the whole shebang. The hardware, the software, and for those who go to an Apple store to buy it, the experience of seeing for the first time, a properly set up store full of all the latest, and being able to play with it for the first time.

Since Apple sell half their kit in Europe and elsewhere, where there aren't any Apple stores, with the occasional exception, it's not the Apple store Experience that sells their product.

Small thought - perhaps it's their products perhaps?
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Since Apple sell half their kit in Europe and elsewhere, where there aren't any Apple stores, with the occasional exception, it's not the Apple store Experience that sells their product.

Small thought - perhaps it's their products perhaps?

Well since 75% of all iPods are sold here, and a survey by Merrill Lynch said that the store experience was of importance, I beg to differ.

Did you only read the last half of the second sentence? What about the rest of what I said? Read the first sentence and the first part of the second and then comment.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:

Small thought - perhaps it's their products perhaps? [/B]

Yeah, but they've always had great products. I think the stores are important to educate people. I also think that because some of these stores are so elaborite, that Apple doesn't really seem like this >3% market share computer company.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, but they've always had great products. I think the stores are important to educate people. I also think that because some of these stores are so elaborite, that Apple doesn't really seem like this >3% market share computer company.

yup it seems like a 60% market share MUSIC company, which it is...

nah, just messing with you, i know what ya mean