Recommended USB headset?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced USB headset (mic/headphones) for use on my iBook? I want to use it with Skype.

The only ones I am aware of are from Plantronics and are seemingly expensive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Sennheiser is moving into this market

I expect their quality to meet or exceed Plantronics.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Hmmm... NewEgg has that set for $58. Not too bad. I was hoping for cheaper but I just might have to bite the bullet. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Get a Logitech one, I cant remember the exact model mine is, it doesn't seem to say on it. I purchased this one at staples and it works pretty good. Its not really great for music but I use it for skype and other chat programs and it works great for that.

I paid about 30 dollars at staples.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    $30 is right up my alley

I don't need it for sound quality, just something decent enough for Skype.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Well thats what its made for and I highly doubt that skype would sound much better on a better headset.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Well thats what its made for and I highly doubt that skype would sound much better on a better headset.

Skype uses about half the bandwidth of what POTS uses (approx 3.5K vs 7K). You can use a pretty sh*tty microphone/headset and over Skype nobody will notice!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gjas15gjas15 Posts: 24member
    If you can spring for a bluetooth headset get a bluetrek G2 i love it for my cellphone and my powerbook.. battery life sucks on my phone since nokias default to the most power hungery mode but with my powerbook i can easily get 7-8 hrs on a single charge
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I thought about a BT headset as well but since my iBook doesn't have integrated BT, it'd mean another purchase (the BT dongle) and something else sticking from the side of the iBook.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I thought about a BT headset as well but since my iBook doesn't have integrated BT, it'd mean another purchase (the BT dongle) and something else sticking from the side of the iBook.

If u r using an iBook, why not use the microphone/line in port on the side. A headset for mike line in/headphone jack can be picked up for $20AU - Altec Lansing noise canceling, the works.

Or doesn't Skype like line in headsets - ive never used.

additionally, a USB headset simply uses up ur USB ports.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    My iBook does not have a mic input...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

My iBook does not have a mic input...

Sorry, ur right... could of sworn it did though, i'll look at the specs before I open my pie hole next time.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I just got a headset for using Skype. Plantronics Audio 70. It uses two mini headphone jacks...one for mic, one for headsets. Now it looks like I have the ability to plug both these in to my PowerBook G4 but when I go to prefs and change sound to "line-in", I get no audio imput. Nothing. I was hoping not to spring the 80 bucks just to talk on Skype. Do I need the set with the USB? I think I have a mic in...don't I? It looks like it, what's the deal? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your advice