I close my iBook's lid and the computer goes to sleep...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just recently bought a 14" iBook G4. When I close the lid it goes to sleep and breaks the internet connection to the computer (ie- kicks me off iChat). How do I get it to not goto sleep when I close the lid and kick me off the internet? I looked through the 'System Preferences' and found nothing that would help me. And in 'Energy Saver' there is nothing about closing the lid and putting the computer to sleep and I also set it so that the computer never goes to sleep. I searched through the computer help and all it told me to do was change the settings in 'Energy Saver'. There must be a way to make it not go to sleep when I close the lid and kick me offline, it's quite annoying. Any information and help would be much appreciated. Also, for what it matters I am not new to macs, I also have a G5, I'm just not too familiar with apple laptops. Thanks in advance.

-Jordan M.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    It goes to sleep when you close the lid, and there is no way around this. I think it does this for heat reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    really? not that i dont believe, but this does sound alittle ridiculous, right? im sure there is away to turn it off. or maybe at least a way so that it doesnt cut off the internet connection? thanks though, your response was much appreciated.

-Jordan M.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I had a program that could do this called No Sleep. You can check it out here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20087

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quick question for you... if you close the lid, you can't use the computer. You can't see the screen, you can't use the keyboard, or the trackpad.

Why *wouldn't* you expect it to go to sleep?? Seriously. If you can't use it, and you just put it into the mode for traveling, why would you ever expect it to stay running??

There is a way to keep it awake if you have an external keyboard, mouse, and display hooked up, but otherwise there's simply no reason to do this.

Also, the heat generated by the system is vented partially through the keyboard. If you close it, that heat ends up not getting well dissipated, and it also heats the LCD, which *vastly* decreases its life. It's not a recommended way of having it operate.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Quick question for you... if you close the lid, you can't use the computer. You can't see the screen, you can't use the keyboard, or the trackpad.

Why *wouldn't* you expect it to go to sleep?? Seriously. If you can't use it, and you just put it into the mode for traveling, why would you ever expect it to stay running??

There is a way to keep it awake if you have an external keyboard, mouse, and display hooked up, but otherwise there's simply no reason to do this.

Also, the heat generated by the system is vented partially through the keyboard. If you close it, that heat ends up not getting well dissipated, and it also heats the LCD, which *vastly* decreases its life. It's not a recommended way of having it operate.

well, the main reason i would expect at least an option for it not to goto sleep when i shut the lid is, as you said, i would like to use an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. but, it also breaks my internet connection when it goes to sleep, which kicks me off iChat and also stops any file transfers i might have going. also, the reason why I find it so hard to believe that I cant stop it from going to sleep when i close the lid is that I've had other laptops (windows) in the past, and they gave me a choice to have it or not have it goto sleep when i closed the lid. i mean, its a pretty simple option to have; am i crazy for wanting it to not goto sleep? i say this because your post made it seem like i was being very irrational with my request, which i dont think is that irrational, as ive explained. i also understand that that lid being closed with the computer still running might cause heat issues, but i however was not aware of this, especially since there are fan slots on the sides and back. i hope this helps you understand my situation/problem alittle better. thanks for your time.

-Jordan M.

ps- is there a way to keep the computer running when i close the lid and want to use an external monitor, keyboard and mouse?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You're right, some Windows laptops force you to manually put it to sleep before closing the lid to move it. Since the vast majority of the time that a user closes the lid they are doing so to move it, and since moving a laptop while the drive is spinning is a no-no, and since it generates heat problems, Apple has the unit go to sleep when you close the lid.

While the PowerBooks support the external KB, mouse, monitor set up, all I can find on Apple's support site (http://www.apple.com/support/) is that doing this with an iBook is *not* supported, and in fact, they don't have any tricks that allow you to do it like they do with the PowerBook. My guess is that the heat tolerances are simply tighter, and it will cause problems faster.

Note that you can just not shut it all the way, and that will keep it active.

See, if you're downloading, or have programs open and running that might access the hard drive (like iChat), you really don't want to be moving the unit much, and you certainly don't want to be turning it vertical and back to horizontal. That puts a *huge* amount of strain on the drive, and can just plain destroy it with a head crash.

I don't think you're being irrational, per se, it just seems like an odd situation where you'd *have* to close the lid, *and* keep the net connection up and running. I can't come up with a situation in my own head that would necessitate this. Why not just keep it open and let the screen dim?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Yes you can use Screen Spanning Doctor for iBook to run your iBook in 'Clamshell' mode, that is, it does not go to sleep when you close it

WARNING: THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED BECAUSE OF HEAT ISSUES AND COULD INVALIDATE YOUR APPLECARE 3 YEAR or 1 YEAR WARRANTY

Enjoy

You have been warned!! Here's the link BTW

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by JordanEatWorld

I just recently bought a 14" iBook G4. When I close the lid it goes to sleep and breaks the internet connection to the computer (ie- kicks me off iChat). How do I get it to not goto sleep when I close the lid and kick me off the internet? I looked through the 'System Preferences' and found nothing that would help me. And in 'Energy Saver' there is nothing about closing the lid and putting the computer to sleep and I also set it so that the computer never goes to sleep. I searched through the computer help and all it told me to do was change the settings in 'Energy Saver'. There must be a way to make it not go to sleep when I close the lid and kick me offline, it's quite annoying. Any information and help would be much appreciated. Also, for what it matters I am not new to macs, I also have a G5, I'm just not too familiar with apple laptops. Thanks in advance.

-Jordan M.

if you dont have time on doing software hack which is only option, Thanks for apple's 'flawless' degsin, for hardware i have a perfect ibook for you, it never goes sleep no matter i how hard to close its lid. contact me if you interested in.