Netgear/ Dlink/ Linksys Wireless Router Purchasing Advice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Your input appreciated, you can just answer the poll for a quick stab at this question

Thanks people..!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    d-link and linksys. BOTH my netgear routers crapped out. they started losing packets and they'd have to be reset on occasion.

My D-link, which is also cheaper, is like a tank. No problems yet and I've used it for a year now.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

d-link and linksys. BOTH my netgear routers crapped out. they started losing packets and they'd have to be reset on occasion.

My D-link, which is also cheaper, is like a tank. No problems yet and I've used it for a year now.

hmm... i had a netgear all-in-one dsl-modem-wireless-router, yeah i had to reset it every month or so

yeah for always-on, wireless routers need to be reliable

thanks dude
  • Reply 3 of 33
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Belkin pre-802.11n, I love my router.

Avoid Linksys at all costs. I owned a d-link ethernet router and it was fine, but generated quite a bit of heat. I don't know if my d-link experience was typical.

Linksys gear seems to have compatibility problems a lot - sometimes it will work with other manufacturers gear and sometimes it won't. Sometimes it won't even work with other linksyst products.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I have a Linksys and I'm very happy with it. It's a great router, not the cheapest of the three, but what can you do.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Linksys all the way.

I own four of them and my first one from years ago still works perfectly.

Really like my latest one - WRT54G.

Lots of fun you can have with the Sveasoft firmware too!
  • Reply 6 of 33
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Linksys all the way.

I own four of them and my first one from years ago still works perfectly.

Really like my latest one - WRT54G.

Lots of fun you can have with the Sveasoft firmware too!

on a sidenote, that's the only router other than airport that can be used in addition to the airport express
  • Reply 7 of 33
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    I just went through this purchase decision and, after researching user comments on the Web, was tempted to post a new thread called "Are all wireless routers crap?"

Last week I bought a Netgear WRG614 router but returned it because its *wired* throughput was pathetic. It was also built very cheaply: flimsy case, tiny non-removable antenna, and it ran hot. I've had two good Netgear routers in the past, but they've really cheapened their build quality with this model.

I just bought a new Linksys WRT54G yesterday (same shelf price as the Netgear): speed is fine, wired and wireless Macs and an XP PC connect reliably in a weak signal area, and the configuration options are impressive. Linksys doesn't offer any Mac-specific setup instructions, but setup via Safari is easy.

Not crazy about the case shape and color, but you can't have everything.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

I just went through this purchase decision and, after researching user comments on the Web, was tempted to post a new thread called "Are all wireless routers crap?"

Last week I bought a Netgear WRG614 router but returned it because its *wired* throughput was pathetic. It was also built very cheaply: flimsy case, tiny non-removable antenna, and it ran hot. I've had two good Netgear routers in the past, but they've really cheapened their build quality with this model.

I just bought a new Linksys WRT54G yesterday (same shelf price as the Netgear): speed is fine, wired and wireless Macs and an XP PC connect reliably in a weak signal area, and the configuration options are impressive. Linksys doesn't offer any Mac-specific setup instructions, but setup via Safari is easy.

Not crazy about the case shape and color, but you can't have everything.

hmm keep the comments coming, i do appreciate it. yes Voxapps, i am concerned that wi-fi is becoming so prevalent, and in some neigbourhoods, you've got like 5-10 wi-fi networks in a block of houses, can't imagine in city apartments what it's like...

so it is disconcerting but not surprising that the wireless router makers are cashing in on this whole trend, without really keeping in mind that (a) routers are designed to be on all the time and (b) they are designed to handle tons of network traffic without f8cking crashing and burning..!

edit: especially with for example, BitTorrent, which really puts your network to work... hey that should be it's slogan:

BitTorrent. It really puts your network to WORK

makes me respect companies like Cisco a bit more, because corporate level routers and switches and stuff, the amount of network traffic that pounds through those things.......

Voxapps keep us updated on how your Linksys is holding up

edit: speaking of Cisco, i just remembered after seeing a Linksys ad that Cisco bought Linksys a while ago, bonus points in my book, unless one of y'all have something to say about it...
  • Reply 9 of 33
    thanks everybody

there is PC Fair on today, i hope to convince my neigbour (we are sharing DSL, base station in his house) to go with Linksys
  • Reply 10 of 33
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

... yes Voxapps, i am concerned that wi-fi is becoming so prevalent, and in some neigbourhoods, you've got like 5-10 wi-fi networks in a block of houses, can't imagine in city apartments what it's like...

So many people just simply hook up a wireless router and as long as it works just leave it at that - very bad move.

Secure your wireless! It's easy and painless.
    • Change the default password! I walked around the floor of my apartment building recently using iStumbler and my iBook and found 12 wide open networks. Whenever I see "linksys" I know that the default password/login is admin/admin - easy to get in and mess with settings.

• Disable SSID broadcast. If you disable it, no one will see it with iStumbler, MacStumbler, KisMac, etc.

• Enable encryption. WEP is good, WPA is better.

• Lock your wireless to work only with your specific MAC address.

Simple stuff, but not enough people do it.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    well, we got a Dlink wireless router.

bad news though

the Dlink router and my iBook g4, 10.3.8 cannot connect over PPPoE through the DSL modem

although PPPoE works with a WindozeXP machine...

I think there's something dodgy about the DSL modem, it's supplied by the local telco providing the DSL service, so who knows where and how its made

The real test i suppose is, assuming the DSL signal through the phone cable is clean (which sounds like it is because ofthe WindozeXP connecting alright through PPPoE),

is to use an all-in-one Dlink or Linksys DSL modem/wireless router

But in the mean time, is back to trusty old dial-up. I was secretly leeching off a neighbour but his DSL modem also bit the dust after a lighting storm here, it was connecting intermittently after the storm, and now it's stuck in 'startup training' or some sh1t...

Yup, a lot of wireless routers are crap, and so are a lot of DSL modems, although those modems are not necessarily built to handle nasty electrical/lightning stuff.

I pity the fools.................!!

but we all learn for experience. i guess its time to go hang out in an internet cafe every now and then or read some good books

goodbye broadband for now, see you in a few weeks hopefully
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Our old 802.11b Netgear router bit the dust last night, I phoned them up in the early hours and they said they'd replace it.... :o after 3 years!

Dad is keen to upgrade to a 802.11g though, so I'm off now to but either a Netgear DG834G or Linksys WRT54G. I can't stand this dial up crap much longer!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

.... I can't stand this dial up crap much longer!

Tell me about it... My DSL provider totally sucks ba11s. I've got my DLink router ready to rumble, but the crappy-ass DSL modem that comes with the DSL service is a piece of Sh1te and the Dlink router can't connect to it. F8cking DSL provider is being belligerent on replacing the DSL modem, it was working fine with another generic-brand wireless router a few weeks ago.

F8cking charlatans. Ah well, it was good while it lasted, managed to catch up on some Alias Season 4
  • Reply 14 of 33
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    What's everyone think about the Belkin Pre-N router ? I knew nothing about routers when I bought it, but from what I was told, it seemed to be the best one I could purchase at CompUSA. There was a comparable one, but this one had a lifetime warranty, where the other had a 2 year, I believe.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Tell me about it... My DSL provider totally sucks ba11s. I've got my DLink router ready to rumble, but the crappy-ass DSL modem that comes with the DSL service is a piece of Sh1te and the Dlink router can't connect to it. F8cking DSL provider is being belligerent on replacing the DSL modem, it was working fine with another generic-brand wireless router a few weeks ago.

F8cking charlatans. Ah well, it was good while it lasted, managed to catch up on some Alias Season 4

Does the DLink not have a built in modem? I personally always look for a router with built-in modem, too much hassle trying to pair together stuff. plus the modem I was given was a USB thing yuk. All in one box all the way.

Got me Netgear router working in no time, half due to using one before and knowing exactly how to get around their screens i guess... Plus it is a gorgeous size & shape, and white!!

PS. Do you think Jack is turning evil? My mate hasn't caught up yet and I don't have anyone to talk to about it... lol
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Does the DLink not have a built in modem? I personally always look for a router with built-in modem, too much hassle trying to pair together stuff. plus the modem I was given was a USB thing yuk. All in one box all the way.

Got me Netgear router working in no time, half due to using one before and knowing exactly how to get around their screens i guess... Plus it is a gorgeous size & shape, and white!!

PS. Do you think Jack is turning evil? My mate hasn't caught up yet and I don't have anyone to talk to about it... lol

Nah mate... Where I am, it's a bloody good idea to have separate router and modem. The other day the modem got fried by lightning, my neighbour was able to harass the telco to replace the modem 'coz he had some lightning protection and still the modem got jacked up...

But the Dlink now is not a built-in-modem thingy, just wireless router, it's sweet, I'm punishing it now and the DSL modem with Azureus. I'm bypassing the router firewall and putting my iBook straight into DMZ, activating the OS X Firewall of course, letting only a few port thingys through like BitTorrent. Let's see for now if Mac OS X is really safe

Well i am up to Episode 7 on my Alias, nah Jack's cool, if a bit icy. He's just angry and bitter, an interesting character overall. He plays a nice little part this season so far

My guess is towards the middle (episode 10+ of the season) Rambaldi thing may start coming back in with some Sloane connections. Overall, I'm hooked in any case. JJ Abrams is a genius....
  • Reply 17 of 33
    **Originally posted by Cake**

Secure your wireless! It's easy and painless.
    • Change the default password! I walked around the floor of my apartment building recently using iStumbler and my iBook and found 12 wide open networks. Whenever I see "linksys" I know that the default password/login is admin/admin - easy to get in and mess with settings.

8) Ok check.

• Disable SSID broadcast. If you disable it, no one will see it with iStumbler, MacStumbler, KisMac, etc.

8) Ok check. MacStumbler and KisMac can't see it

• Enable encryption. WEP is good, WPA is better.

Hmm.. I am a bit lazy on this point, would you recommend 128-bit WEP with WPA? Does this work well with OS X.3.8 Airport Extreme? What about older PC-Wi-fi-cards like 802.11b? will it support WPA alright?

• Lock your wireless to work only with your specific MAC address.

8) Ok check. MAC filtering is enabled. Doesn't protect against Mac Address spoofing though...

One question for you all. If DHCP pool is set to only give say, 6 addresses (we have up to 5 computers or so to share between our two houses), can someone force the router to give an IP outside the DHCP pool by manually assigning themselves an IP address? I will have to test this... Once I ahem stop downloading... which may be next year

Okay peoples, lets see how the Dlink holds up. It's 724-P+ model number.

8) Oh also I changed the default internal ip from 192.168.x.1 to something else, i know, not a big security thing, but kinda fun anyway

• Reply 18 of 33
    gjas15gjas15 Posts: 24member
    I have a netgear wgt624 (the Super-G model) running perfectly for almost a year now. before i had a 2 linksys products they both craped out within a year... Im currently in the CCNA Cert program for Cisco and trust me the enterprise equipment and the linksys products are lightyears apart in build quality. I've thought about replacing my current router with one of their enterprise level routers (with hefty discount ) Hell those things pratically run a full Unix kernel in their IOS... Anyway I digress

Ill summarize my Ramblings for you:

Cisco Equipment = God

Netgear Super-G = Good (1 con though at least with mine there is no command line i.e. telnet access)

D-link = no opinion really (their bluetooth adapter works )

Linksys = Avoid like the plague

Oh yes and on the security aspect:

1. Don't Hide your network

2. WPA on with strong password

3. 128bit WEP if no WPA

4. ACL in use but useless without WPA*

5. SPI Firewall

6. No Ping on WAN port

7. Dont open ports unless needed

8. If PC's are on your network turn off UPNP

*Mac filter - Unless you are using WPA your MAC address is not encrypted so anyone with a sniffer can spoof your MAC and connect to your network
  • Reply 19 of 33
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    So-wah, why not hide your network?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

So-wah, why not hide your network?

because noobs won't be able to connect easily otherwise?