WiFi Noise spikes...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi again, While using this application to monitor my wifi signal (built in airport extreme on new 15" powerbook to a buffalo 802.11G wireless router) I notice every now and again I get huge noise spikes and the connection drops out for like a second.... what kind of things can I do to eliminate this? would moving my mobile phone away help any for example? I did change the channel to channel 8 and it seemed better but im brand new to mac AND wireless networking so any hints would be good.

The router itself is on my desk beside my TFT.

Would a high gain antenna make a difference?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ripkord

Hi again, While using this application to monitor my wifi signal (built in airport extreme on new 15" powerbook to a buffalo 802.11G wireless router) I notice every now and again I get huge noise spikes and the connection drops out for like a second.... what kind of things can I do to eliminate this? would moving my mobile phone away help any for example? I did change the channel to channel 8 and it seemed better but im brand new to mac AND wireless networking so any hints would be good.

The router itself is on my desk beside my TFT.

Would a high gain antenna make a difference?

Thanks

could be lots of things, could be cordless phones(I got the 5.8 phones instead of the 2.4, the 2.4s kept killing my connection), could be neighbors phones(depending how close), microwave ovens, lights,ect.. lots of things can do it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    crap ill need to check my wireless mouse and phone, eek

mouse is 27MHz so thats fine, Phone is DECT and so thats fine aswell, DECT is quite a bit lower that 2.4GHz if memory serves... I never really got a chance to try the other channel(s) out for any length of time, hopefully it will be ok...

cant believe the way things just work on the mac...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    Im not convinced, looking around I see that some others are having similar difficulties with the same router, I'm gonna take it back to the shop and get a different brand...

These drop outs are ruining that "new mac" glow

The wierd thing is that the connection doesnt go off completely it just drops to 0 for like 1 - 2 seconds and then back up to 82% (if im in the same room - using AP grapher software) which i always thought was a bit low considering the router is 3 feet away from the powerbook using a directional hi-gain antenna...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    That seems to have fixed it. fyi.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Sounds to me like channel-hopping madness.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nag it stayed on the same channel. think it was just a dodgy router, no matter got a niceer one for the same price and not one drop out so far