Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" reaches final candidate stage

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Apple Computer's next-generation operating system, is just about ready to wrap.

According to sources and online reports, Apple has recently distributed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build 8A425, which it has deemed a final candidate.

In regards to software development, and more specifically Tiger, a final candidate is a pre-release software build that is under consideration to become final, or gold master.

With massive software projects such as Tiger, Apple will sometimes seed several final candidate builds before one is declared gold master.

Once a final candidate build of Tiger is selected to become gold master, its code will be frozen and sent to manufacturers for duplication on optical media. The software is then packed for retail and shipped to distributors and retail outlets.

This entire process -- from gold master to retail -- could take as long as two weeks, but will likely take only a matter of days in the case of Tiger. Nevertheless, sources say that Apple is unlikely to begin distributing copies of Tiger until the third week in April, though it may take pre-orders.

So far there is no indication that Tiger build 8A425 will become gold master, but it's close. The build carries only two outstanding glitches, according to reports. These pertain to nVidia GeForce graphic cards and the compatibility of the Japanese character set in Carbon applications.

Furthermore, several tipsters note that the latest build of Tiger has shed its "Pre-release" indicators, which were previously visible throughout the system.

According to a previously published report on the ThinkSecret Web site, Apple plans to announce the completion of Tiger this Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    My prediction: announce early next week (maybe even this Friday), with a ship date of May 1, but some people getting copies at the very end of April even so.

Looks like "first half of 2005" may not be a close shave at all. (Much less years late like some OS's I know... and Tiger hasn't even had hyped features stripped away either!)
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

My prediction: announce early next week (maybe even this Friday)

that's actually Think Secret's prediction from 3 or 4 weeks ago.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Yep, once again, Windows is pie in the sky and Tiger is pie on my plate (soon to be in my belly)
  • Reply 5 of 71
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I could swear that I never saw the name Windows in the main article, yet people seem to mention it all the time. Very interesting.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Yes, April 1 has been rumored for some time. But I think next week is a little more likely, if Apple doesn't want to rush in before having a GM more firmly in their sights.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Shipping by NAB (April 15th) for use with the new versions of the Pro apps that require Tiger features. If I was in the media production business, that jump would scare me a bit - new versions of apps with major feature enhancements, and a shiny new OS to run them on? :shiver:

Now on to new hardware announcements!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:

Yes, April 1 has been rumored for some time. But I think next week is a little more likely, if Apple doesn't want to rush in before having a GM more firmly in their sights.

I agree, I was thinking April 1 myself, but Apple may very well wait until next Tuesday before making the announcement for no other reason than to keep the gossips guessing.

But really, I AM very surprised it's coming out this early in 2005. I would have been happy with a WWDC release, but this has me stoked. Now I'll HAVE Tiger by WWDC ... maybe ... really hoping...
  • Reply 9 of 71
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday. Why? Because you don't get any press about it. Friday starts off the weekend. Consumers are busy with their lives, out on the town, ignoring the world, etc. They don't read the papers, skim the internet, ignore the TV. Apple would lose out on any free publicity they could get from newspaper articles and CNN clips (if they and all the rest of the so-called 'news' channels can break away from talking MJ and Shiavo).

Apple's tendency is to announce new products on Tuesday or Wednesday (which of course means another week without G5 updates). Don't see why they'd change here for such an important product of their marketing campaign (Bwahahahaha, yeah, I know, that was funny! Apple having a marketing campaign for a non-iPod product.)

I would, however, expect a saturday release. That's been the day for the last two (if not all) OS X versions. Which makes the most sense, because those who want to try it most are going to want to do it on the weekend, not 3am Wednesday (like MS makes its users do - sorry, I thought Windows references were required to post).

Now we all await two important pieces of information.

1) The build number of the final, because, dammit, without knowing the build number, apparently Mac users just might as well throw themselves under a bus while slitting their throats and drinking cyanide (neat trick, huh?). In fact most users seem just as happy to learn the build number than to actually use the new OS.

and

2) When will 10.4.1 be released, and what updates its going to contain (wait, i got this one, it'll contain 'improvements for stability' and include updates to graphic drivers, USB and Firewire, and networking components. I know, I'm reaching on this one, but, hey, that's what speculation is all about!
  • Reply 10 of 71
    I'm glad to see 10.4 coming out if for no other reason than it will (hopefully) be up to 10.4.1 or 10.4.2 with major bug fixes out of the way by the time the PowerMacs get their next speed bump. Then I can buy this sexy new 64-bit OS to run on a mid-level PPC to replace my current 1999 Athlon 650 PC.

Booya!
  • Reply 11 of 71
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Is it time for temporary INSANITY yet?

This news is pretty INSANE!!!

cool!

now on to new hardware for wwdc!!!

sweet!!!!

• Reply 12 of 71
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    I'd like to see them ship this sooner rather than later. People are excited about this release and we'd like to get our hands on it to become familiar with it.

I hope this release sticks around for a few years and Apple chooses to update it rather than come up with some new cat name and ask people to pay for it. I doubt that, however, since OS updates seems to be a major cash cow for Apple.

They are inadvertently (or purposefully) creating a situation where people are running 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and now 10.4...makes it very tough for developers. We can't assume that everyone has the money to upgrade their OS all the time (and yes, I know they should).
  • Reply 13 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday.

...snip

Was? Nobody is claiming an april first release date.

Instead, it is rumored that the product will merely be announced on the first. The announcement will get a few sound bites here and there.

Then, when it actually is released, CNN will run short clips which show throngs of Mac heads waiting outside an Apple store. I predict these news clips will refer to "Apple, maker of the wildly popular iPod... "
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:

April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others.

technically, Tiger was announced last June on a Tuesday.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    I am so excited!!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 71
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday.

Yes, Fridays are terrible release days, but the rumor is that Apple will announce the release date on April 1. They may have released all sorts of NDA material to media outlets and prepped them for what may really be more of a late Thursday night announcement.

I could see it happening since the real news will be when it actually does ship...especially if they do the premiere parties like they've done before at the Apple Stores.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    i cant wait.. i cant wait... im soo excited!!! ive beena mac user ever since this past december, and im soo siked for this new tiger... ive seen the demos on the apple site.. and it just makes me like "wow...." i cant wait
  • Reply 18 of 71
    spudspud Posts: 25member
    I certainly hope it comes out before the 28th of April, as I just ordered a new Powerbook yesterday, and 30 days is the free upgrade deadline, I'm told.

Does anybody know is that 30 days for the "release" of the OS, or is it 30 days from when they start shipping?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

[B]April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday. Why? Because you don't get any press about it. Friday starts off the weekend. Consumers are busy with their lives, out on the town, ignoring the world, etc.

Wasn't panther released on friday ?
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

i cant wait.. i cant wait... im soo excited!!! ive beena mac user ever since this past december, and im soo siked for this new tiger... ive seen the demos on the apple site.. and it just makes me like "wow...." i cant wait

Since last December?!? Boy, you must really be chomping at the bit!