What is your OSX uptime?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    16:00 up 1 day, 22 hrs, 2 users, load averages: 1.32 1.12 0.93

used to be longer.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    nattynatty Posts: 2member
    up 20:40, 2 users, load averages: 0.99 0.46 0.28

I always thought that the OS benefited from beeing reestarted regularly, when I feel my PowerBook is running slow i do a reestart and think it helps. What do you people think about it?

I reestart every 2.-3. day and i do a permissions repair evry 2. week or so.

Is this totaly unnecessary?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    I think that uptime is only half the equation as a useful stat anyhow. Most systems can get huge uptimes if they aren't used, or are used for only a couple tasks (ie, servers).

A family system with multiple simultaneous users with activities ranging from syncing to gaming, running every app out there, often all at once, with an uptime of 1 month is much more impressive to me than a server with an uptime of 1 month. Making a system so it can't be abused in one thing, making a system so it can take the abuse is another thing.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    4:56PM up 3 days, 2:31, 2 users, load averages: 1.69, 1.42, 1.27
  • Reply 25 of 54
    21:28 up 6 days, 9:14, 2 users, load averages: 1.34 1.36 1.23
  • Reply 26 of 54
    wont leaving it on constantly just wear the computer down faster...or maybe turning it off and on hurts it more because it has to star and stop all the moving parts...which is best?
  • Reply 27 of 54
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Turning it on and off is deffinetly worse then leaving it on all the time.

The tempurature changes as well as the mechanical changes in turning it on and off are not good.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    But the only mechanical changes that happen when you shut off (parking of the drives and spin down of the fans) happens when your computer sleeps if you leave it on. A deep sleep also shuts off the CPU, so the whole thing cools off as well.

These days, I really don't think it makes any difference as long as you're not restarting every half hour. Now, if you're running servers, you've got to stay online so that's why I never shut down!
  • Reply 29 of 54
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    natty,

No, repair permissions is unnecessary. They shouldn't be changing unless you are installing a bunch of sketchy software all the time.

As for leaving it on all the time, it's not totally true. My machine is in "sleep" mode when I don't use it. The system powers down for the most part. All that's up is some power to the RAM to keep the current state in memory. I suppose you can call that cheating, but really, even suspend mode can screw up systems after a while and require a reboot. That's why good memory management is so critical for an OS.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    nattynatty Posts: 2member
    Thanx for reply Wingnut.

It's true my permissions don't usaly change that much (the only serious ones i have is when i update iphoto)

I am always doing what I can to keep my system uptimal (tips on how to do that would be great) because my PowerBook is not new and often working hard
  • Reply 31 of 54
    There's an iMac in our Manufacturing Lab that has not been shut down or rebooted since late last summer. It sits in a corner and does four things; prints serial number labels, prints CD's, runs a constant iChat session and plays random iTunes out of a 40 GB library. It's covered with a layer of dust and grime so much that the CRT has a round wiped off area so the folks in the lab can see the serial numbers. The tunes play 24/7 through a really nice set of speakers and a subwoofer. The OS is so out of date that every once and a while I see the automatic updater window show up and just about every known Apple software app needs updating, we just dismiss the window and let the Mac run on.

In a shop full of pee cees it has made believers out of many people here.

Next time I'm in the lab I'll grab the stats off it - it's on a UPS so it has quite literally been running nonstop since the day we moved into that lab, back in August.

Joe
  • Reply 32 of 54
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Uptime for 300Mhz G3 running OS 10.3 Server.

9:15 up 142 days, 23:35, 3 users, load averages: 0.02 0.03 0.00

Uptime for G4 Xserve

9:13 up 15 days, 3:47, 3 users, load averages: 0.18 0.21 0.10

Uptime for Sun V100 (Webserver)

9:12am up 186 day(s), 50 min(s), 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.10

Uptime for old Alpha server running image setter

OpenVMS V6.2-1H3 on node MHEAX1 31-MAR-2005 09:44:20.97 Uptime 813 11:20:13

This system was only reboots when we have a power failure.

Dobby.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    2:01 up 643,453,993,334 days, 19:22, 1 user, load averages: 0.19 0.08 0.07

• Reply 34 of 54
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

2:01 up 643,453,993,334 days, 19:22, 1 user, load averages: 0.19 0.08 0.07

Woops. I mean

2:01 up 34 days, 19:22, 1 user, load averages: 0.19 0.08 0.07

• Reply 35 of 54
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Only 5 days on this box, 64 days on the Linux server (which is when I installed it in a new case).

The record for me was 488 days - just shy of Linux's 497 maximum. The CPU fan on the Linux box died and the BIOS alarm went off while I was at work. My girlfriend panicked and called me, and I had to powerdown the server remotely. I was not a happy man.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    I hear there is a command that will show how many hours are on the computer, so you can see how used it is.

Anyone know that command?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sroach

I hear there is a command that will show how many hours are on the computer, so you can see how used it is.

uptime?
  • Reply 38 of 54
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sroach

Yes, just type "uptime" in terminal.

I'm up to 11 days. I had been having to restart, so I wasn't going over a couple days, for a while. I think my record was 50, or so. I'm hoping I can stay up until 10.3.9, or Tiger!!! OS X is such a brilliant OS. I can never get over the joy and simplicity in using it.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I haven't had to restart a machine due to a crash in months. I got to 113 days on my G4 Quicksilver, and finally shut it down to install a new hard drive a few weeks back. My G5 got re-started yesterday because I was installing the OS on an iMac drive I'd pulled. (dead CD drive) The current uptime king right now is my Powerbook, which is at 46 days.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    12 days uptime

Mac OSX Hint:

1. Open a new terminal window.

2. Choose File -> Save As, and pick a location, like your desktop.

3. Choose "Execute this command", from the save as window, and type the command you want terminal to execute in this case, uptime.

4. Turn on, if it is not already selected, "Execute command in a shell" and save the file.

An Icon should appear on your desktop with the name you gave it. You should be able to execute the terminal command 'uptime' just by double clicking the Icon.

Brought to you by Mac OSX Hints.