iTunes only allows 5 users a day?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How come dozens of users on my college's network display the message "XYZ's Library only accepts 5 different users each day."? I don't see this option in iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Yeah, it was a kinda crappy thing they snuck into 4.7.1

Check here
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How come dozens of users on my college's network display the message "XYZ's Library only accepts 5 different users each day."? I don't see this option in iTunes.

Ouch they gotcha! And you can't downgrade either because then you can't buy music thanks to DVD Jon. Ain't life grand?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Oh do I miss the days of unlimited internet sharing in 4.0
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    that limit i'm sure was put in exclusively because of college campuses.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple ...is ....slowly...crumbling.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    "Damn it to puss spewing blood gutted hell!" - Stewie

• Reply 7 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Come on guys, even this limitation has its workarounds. I'm sure someone will come up with proxy sharing, so that each machine appears as the same one. Hell, a quick SSH tunnel may do the job.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's fucking dick. First limiting to subnets. Now this. Fuck the RIAA. I hope someone finds a way around this. Until then I'll keep stealing music. Thanks XFactor!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I was *wondering* what the whole 4.7.1 thing was for... and yeah.. that's lame.

At one of our office locations we have an MP3 server setup which anyone can access. It saves all the P2P stuff. We all took turns brining in a huge external hard drive, then combined it all on one massive server. We launch itunes, anyone can stream what they want and nobody downloads crap at the office. It's like a 'build to order' streaming radio station. This also keeps folks from 'stealing' even more. We only let them stream via iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I was *wondering* what the whole 4.7.1 thing was for... and yeah.. that's lame.

At one of our office locations we have an MP3 server setup which anyone can access. It saves all the P2P stuff. We all took turns brining in a huge external hard drive, then combined it all on one massive server. We launch itunes, anyone can stream what they want and nobody downloads crap at the office. It's like a 'build to order' streaming radio station. This also keeps folks from 'stealing' even more. We only let them stream via iTunes.

This reminds me...

I had this summer job. There were no rules announced about things such as MP3's, but this was a huge tech company and the athmosphere was pretty rigid. The possibility that someone would be scanning all over the place for .mp3 seemed very small, but I didn't want to take chances and besides I wanted to try a few new things.

So I set up an Apache server at my home. I could stream single files from there, so then there was just the problem of getting more than a single file, and not having to copy-paste links by hand. So I went to a directory that contained one album, saved the Apache directory listing (the HTML), and wrote a vim script that transforms it into a .m3u playlist.

Then I accumulated a collection of playlists. Putting on an album I hadn't already listened at work only took browsing to the album, saving the directory listing, running the vim script, and playing the playlist in Winamp.

I must have streamed 8 hours a day, 70 days @ 192kbps. Almost totally opposite to the solution you guys had
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

Oh do I miss the days of unlimited internet sharing in 4.0

This was never an intended feature. It was an exploit. And while I do agree the sub net change sucks, the dorms are the reason.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    Not exactly a legal solution but ourTunes is a great program that allows you to preview and download music from any one who is sharing their library on iTunes. (Currently does not support libraries that are password protected.)