Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" reaches final candidate stage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spud

I certainly hope it comes out before the 28th of April, as I just ordered a new Powerbook yesterday, and 30 days is the free upgrade deadline, I'm told.

Does anybody know is that 30 days for the "release" of the OS, or is it 30 days from when they start shipping?

I believe--and could be wrong--that the free upgrade (usually for $20 with shipping and handling) is for those who purchase a new Mac for thirty days after the OS is announced, not before.

I don't believe your purchase qualifies.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

and

2) When will 10.4.1 be released, and what updates its going to contain (wait, i got this one, it'll contain 'improvements for stability' and include updates to graphic drivers, USB and Firewire, and networking components. I know, I'm reaching on this one, but, hey, that's what speculation is all about!

Dude, you forgot the most important part; 10.4.1 makes Tiger Snappier(TM)!
  • Reply 23 of 71
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I'm really hoping we see them set the release date on Friday. I think it makes sense. I'm hoping the Think secret reports are spot on, and I think they will be. We'll hear something on April 1, and we'll have it in our hands by April 15.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fatchuck

Then I can buy this sexy new 64-bit OS to run on a mid-level PPC to replace my current 1999 Athlon 650 PC.

What 64-bit OS? Unless you enjoy a command line.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    spudspud Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

I believe--and could be wrong--that the free upgrade (usually for $20 with shipping and handling) is for those who purchase a new Mac for thirty days after the OS is announced, not before.

I don't believe your purchase qualifies.

That wouldn't make any sense...

Any purchase of a new mac after the new OS is released should get the new OS ? 30 days or whatever.

I remeber back in the days of 9.x, I got the upgrade for free (+s/h) even though the OS came out after I bought my computer...

That'd be really sheisty if the OS came out two days after your purchase, and you still have to pay full price.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    spudspud Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Any purchase of a new mac after the new OS is released should get the new OS ? 30 days or whatever.

I remeber back in the days of 9.x, I got the upgrade for free (+s/h) even though the OS came out after I bought my computer...

That'd be really sheisty if the OS came out two days after your purchase, and you still have to pay full price.

from the apple support site:

"Apple has not yet announced what upgrade policy, if any, there will be for those who currently own copies of Mac OS X. With the exception of the 10.1 upgrade which was made available to all 10.0 purchasers, Apple has only offered a free or reduced-price Mac OS X upgrade to those who purchased (either retail or with a Mac) an older version of Mac OS X _after_ the newer version was officially released (or at least made available to order). Whether or not this will remain the case with Tiger, we'll have to wait until the official release to know."

that answers that. My powerbook should arrive on saturday. It would be worth the money for me to return it unopened, then purchase it again next week. The only question is: can I really have a new Powerbook sitting in my apartment without opening it? It will be a real test of my willpower.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

What 64-bit OS? Unless you enjoy a command line.

??? All OS X iterations have been 32-bit OSs, just like Linux or Windows. Tiger (10.4) is the first Apple OS that is natively 64-bit compatible. No command line necessary...
  • Reply 28 of 71
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Tiger will NOT be released on April 1st. Unless they are playing on tiger being a "joke". What kinda omen would that be releasing your latest product on April Fool's Day? It would on the other hand be the perfect date to convince thinksecret.com it was coming out on.... ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 71
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Was? Nobody is claiming an april first release date.

Instead, it is rumored that the product will merely be announced on the first. The announcement will get a few sound bites here and there.

Then, when it actually is released, CNN will run short clips which show throngs of Mac heads waiting outside an Apple store. I predict these news clips will refer to "Apple, maker of the wildly popular iPod... "

Sorry dude, crappy writing on my part. I meant 'announcing' on April 1, which is what the rumor thing stated above. As I said later, they have released the OS on Fridays, generally. But not announcing it.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by fatchuck

??? All OS X iterations have been 32-bit OSs, just like Linux or Windows. Tiger (10.4) is the first Apple OS that is natively 64-bit compatible. No command line necessary...

Wow, someone needs to get away from the RDF and read up Apple's materials on Mac's 64-bitness. As I saw on Macintouch...

... I should also add that one of Apple's WWDC sessions is as follows:

Building 64-bit Solutions for Tiger

Are you developing an application that could benefit from more than 32 bits of address space? Mac OS X Tiger offers support for 64-bit command-line processes that can address vast amounts of memory. Learn the specifics of Tiger's 64-bit support and how to factor a Carbon or Cocoa application to run in conjunction with 64-bit backend processes.

So, not sure why Apple would be holding a session on how to talk to back-end processes if they had it in their Cocoa space.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:

Yeah, but the mac's already been bought, and the OS hasn't been announced, so he/she is SOL. Theoretically you can call and if you bitch enough, might be able to squeeze out a 'free' update.

The technicality is all about the 'announcement' date, which is partly why Apple doesn't pre-announce their software way ahead of time.

Keep also in mind that even if you buy the computer after the release date, you might still get stuck with the previous OS, depending on who you buy from and how old the stock is, so you still might get stuck with the $20 'free' update.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Tiger will NOT be released on April 1st. Unless they are playing on tiger being a "joke". What kinda omen would that be releasing your latest product on April Fool's Day? It would on the other hand be the perfect date to convince thinksecret.com it was coming out on.... ;-)

But then again, Apple was founded on April 1. So you never know ...
  • Reply 33 of 71
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The build carries only two outstanding glitches, according to reports. These pertain to nVidia GeForce graphic cards...

gosh, and that only affects over half of all shipping macs for the past several years.

any idea what this "glitch" entails?
  • Reply 34 of 71
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

I think it was mentioned before that Apple Computer, Inc. was incorporated on 4/1/1976 so it might be a good date for Apple to use to announce "The Bestest OStest evar!!!!!1!11!"
  • Reply 35 of 71
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

gosh, and that only affects over half of all shipping macs for the past several years.

Yeah, it's kinda unfortunate that this glitch is in the one area in which Macs are getting publicly pummelled at the moment, based on those awful D3 benches.

Me, I could care less about Doom 3, but there are many who do. Still, I'm guessing that the majority of them aren't sad enough to frequent bench-marking sites.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesG

They are inadvertently (or purposefully) creating a situation where people are running 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and now 10.4...makes it very tough for developers. We can't assume that everyone has the money to upgrade their OS all the time (and yes, I know they should).

This is a big problem eh?

It is a pity they can't release an OSX 10.4 "express" or "lite" (edit: for FREE) which has none of the snazzy new features. I'm sure OSX 10.4 has configurability to turn things off like spotlight, graphic effects, RSS in safari, Automator, Windows printer sharing (there's a long list of things added since 10.1.x! What else could they disable?), while providing things like security and corevideo etc. It would allow new applications to run everywhere, they wouldn't have to keep doing old OSX security updates, and support could be standardised.

Still I'm not sure whether that is really feasible or not. What do you think?
  • Reply 37 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not feasible.

For every subset of features you can come up with that would satisfy new app needs, I can come up with an app that breaks that.

If you want the apps, you have to upgrade to the OS platform that provides the technologies those apps use. 10.4 is a *massive* upgrade in developer technologies, at a very fundamental level. People are going to see 'Requires 10.4' much more than they have any other version up until this point.

If they want those apps, (and they will, oh yes, they will) they have to upgrade. If you want the nice toys, you have to pay for them.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Hi Kickaha, I assume you're responding to my "OSX 10.4-express" wish?
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Not feasible.

For every subset of features you can come up with that would satisfy new app needs, I can come up with an app that breaks that.

Are you saying that moving to 10.4 is going to break lots of old apps? If so, I hadn't heard that (this may affect my girlfriend who has some old software and classic stuff too).

Otherwise I'm not sure why a lite version that turns off the new features but updates the underlying OS (part of which is free in Darwin anyway) wouldn't be feasible. (Note I say it may be feasible, quite a different thing to being likely!)

I take your point that the new Apps that require 10.4 would force people to upgrade, and this may be Apple's desire. I'm sure some people who would've bought 10.4 would take a free 10.4-express if it was an option (I doubt that any goodwill, consistency, compatibility, etc would offset that).
  • Reply 39 of 71
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregAlexander

This is a big problem eh?

It is a pity they can't release an OSX 10.4 "express" or "lite" (edit: for FREE) which has none of the snazzy new features. I'm sure OSX 10.4 has configurability to turn things off like spotlight, graphic effects, RSS in safari, Automator, Windows printer sharing (there's a long list of things added since 10.1.x! What else could they disable?), while providing things like security and corevideo etc. It would allow new applications to run everywhere, they wouldn't have to keep doing old OSX security updates, and support could be standardised.

Still I'm not sure whether that is really feasible or not. What do you think?

uh thats why they do 10.3.x updates.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

"Displays on machines with nVidia GeForce video cards (like the 17" iMac G4) may occasionally fail to wake from sleep."

http://www.cafemacs.com/#t572