Calling all 1.5GHz PB 12" owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting the new 12" PB, but I was curious to hear about the experiences of you early adopters. Now that you've had it for a while, what are the cons (I know all the pros, so I just want to hear what ever minor gripes you guys have before deciding).

If you have no gripes, please say so, after all, we're always quick to complain, but not to compliment

Thanks in advance for chiming in!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    On Tuesday, I will have had mine for five weeks. It really is a fantastic machine. The 5400 RPM hard drive becoming standard was a great move. Complaints? I believe I have only one. The display could be better quality. I've had no issues with the Powerbook, and it has worked flawlessly from day one (knock on wood).

You'd be making a wise decision is selecting this machine, in my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'll echo what ibook911 has said: No problems here so far . It's a great ultra-portable machine, and I have no regrets about getting it. I only use it for light work, the usual web/mail/iLife etc., plus a little Photoshop Elements work.

The screen is smaller than what I'm used to (17" widescreen iMac), but the scrolling trackpad means I can get around in large images no problem . However, I would also agree that the display could be a bit beeter, but for me, this only really applies if the screen is in direct sunlight - away from direct sunlight, it's perfectly acceptable.

Battery life is around 4 hours with light use. I'm not sure what it would be like for heavy use such as watching a DVD, but I would imagine it would last 2.5-3 hours. Hopefully someone else can provide more reliable numbers for this .

Hope that helps .

Regards,

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I just couldn't wait. I already *knew* I wanted one, I just wanted to make sure that nothing ugly had popped up with this recent iteration, so after the first response, I just ran out and bought the damn thing!

So I've got everything transferred over, did the software updates and here I am typing on my new PB 12"

So now it's time to put my old 17" PB up on the auction block!

Thanks for your feedback, it's reassuring to hear that your only gripes are just minor!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Best 'Book ever ...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

I just couldn't wait. I already *knew* I wanted one, I just wanted to make sure that nothing ugly had popped up with this recent iteration, so after the first response, I just ran out and bought the damn thing!

So I've got everything transferred over, did the software updates and here I am typing on my new PB 12"

So now it's time to put my old 17" PB up on the auction block!

Thanks for your feedback, it's reassuring to hear that your only gripes are just minor!

fuzzball,

Good to know that you ran out and bought it after my post. I really think you'll love it. What generation of Pbook are you selling? Let us know some more of your thoughts on your new Pbook, when you've had some time to get to know it.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    I've had mine now for about 4 hours, its all set up and running amazing.

It's a consderable improvement over the 867 MHz model I had previously, The same machine, only much faster, cooler running.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Well I was up until 3:30 AM getting everything transferred/installed/config'd from my 17" PB to my new 12" PB. Other than that, I have not had a chance to play with it today until right *now*. The first thing I notice is that the screen on this is brighter than the screen on my 17" (first gen). Also, I knew the 50% speed bump (okay, we won't split hairs over the cache differences) would be noticeable, but the first thing I noticed was just how *snappy* Virtual PC started up and ran on this (and on this I loaded XP, on the 17" I used 2000).

As for my 17", to answer your question it is the first generation that came out 2 years ago, I ordered it a few weeks after it was announced, and waited what seemed like FOREVER to actually get it

It's been a good 2-year run for my 17". I got it as a desktop replacement, and it was perfect. The only reason I'm selling the 17" and got the 12" is for my new job I had to buy a PC (VC++ dev work), so I was forced to buy a monitor, and well, now that I have a new 19" monitor on my desk, and a PC desktop, having the 17" isn't as beneficial. So I got this new 12" to act as my Mac "desktop" (I'll use it in *docked* mode most of the time) but I'll still have portability when I need it--and it will be more comfortable to use on the plane, let me tell you, when the person in front of me would lean their seat back, I just had to put the 17" back in it's case cause there was not enough room!

I have one more question for you all, anyone recommend a good "coolpad" for the 12"? I've seen a couple, like the "traveller coolpad" but I'd like to hear other people's experience. Since I'm going to be using this like a *docked* machine most of the time, I'd like to give it a good airflow if at all possible.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

I have one more question for you all, anyone recommend a good "coolpad" for the 12"? I've seen a couple, like the "traveller coolpad" but I'd like to hear other people's experience. Since I'm going to be using this like a *docked* machine most of the time, I'd like to give it a good airflow if at all possible.

I use an iCurve. It is very good to keep the Powerbook cool enough, unless you live in a really hot place. But even then, it is preferable to have the Powerbook raised and well ventilated. Quite simple design, matches well the aluminum colour, much space beneath and keeps the Powerbook in a height more confortable to use.