new toshiba battery (fast charging, high capacity/weight)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
this will be cool when it makes it into powerbooks:

link

Toshiba has today announced a new lithium ion battery, which, it claims, can recharge 80% of the battery's energy capacity in just one minute, 60 times faster than the other lithium ion cells. It takes an unspecified 'few' more minutes for a complete recharge. The battery has a long life cycle, losing only 1% of its capacity after 1,000 cycles of discharging and recharging. Due to be launched next year, it will initially be used to power hybrid electric vehicles but could be used for smaller devices in future, such as mobile phones and digital cameras.

The new battery fuses Toshiba's latest advances in nano-material technology for the electric devices sector with cumulative know-how in manufacturing lithium-ion battery cells. A breakthrough technology applied to the negative electrode uses new nano-particles to prevent organic liquid electrolytes from reducing during battery recharging. The nano-particles quickly absorb and store vast amount of lithium ions, without causing any deterioration in the electrode.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

this will be cool when it makes it into powerbooks:

link

. . . .

I wonder if this is the Lithium-ion di-Sulfate battery that has been on the roadmap for the last 10 years? That was always the catch: fast charging combined with high capacity.

Anyway, here's the real beef: modern LiIon batteries are often rated at 5% degradation after 500 charge cycles. The problem is that many devices have poorly designed chargers that damage the battery every time you put it in, and that most people aren't good about charging. I'm talking about people who put things in the "cradle" all the time. It's a bad practice. But even so, the biggest killer of LiIon batteries is naive charger design, and unfortunately most chargers are naively designed. It takes about $4 in components to make a really good charger, some time to calculate all of the filter poles, and more time to program in monitor loops. To make a shitty charger takes $1 in components and deference to a lame reference design. Since the name of the game in Taiwan is low-cost, guess which paradigm you see more often?

To prove a point, I've had the same LG cell phone for two years, and the battery life hasn't decreased. I only charge it when the battery is running low, and I only use the cradle charger, which has pulse-charging circuitry in the base (I checked). The car adapters usually use open-loop linear chargers, which can easily damage the battery.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think they're also taling 1% degradation after 1000 charge/discharge cycles, and much better stability in hot/cold.

Hello hybrid vehicles...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    I wonder how hot the batteries get when recharging. Current notebook batteries can get quite toasty when recharging. Maybe it won't get hot, since it seems to take up juice quite efficiently.