playlists WITHIN playlists... how to?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok guys. your help is needed. here's the story:

i've got myself an iPod mini, and it is set-u pto AutoUpdate from particular playlists. But i also have a playlist (which runs parallel to the Mini) that simply shows me what i have on my iPod (regardless of whether or not my iPod is connected).

What i want to do is set up this playlist so that my iPod simply auto-updates from it, BUT i also want these songs to remain within certain playlists that i can access on my iPod.

Basically i want a couple of playlists within this larger one.... can anyone help?

if you can't make sense of what im talking about just say so, and i'll try to re-word it.

thanks for your help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    if i understand correctly...

you can create a smart playlist, and one of the options is "playlist is." so make this new smart playlist criteria "match ALL" of the following:

"playlist is (playlist name)"

"playlist is (playlist 2 name)"

i hope thats what you were looking for
  • Reply 2 of 11
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    ok. i'll give some examples of my playlists that are on my iPod:

-80s Hip Hop

-Fatboy

-Recently Added

etc,etc. But i also have a playlist named "Ollie's Music" ('Ollie' is my iPod's name - not my own) and this is a smart playlists that gets its songs from the same playlists as my iPod. So essentially whatever is on this list is on my iPod.

What i want to do is have it so that i go into "Ollie's Music" and then it will have all my songs, but also it will have other playlists within it. So it would have a little arrow next to it, and when this is clicked it would display all the playlists (much like when you use a Shared Library, and you click on the little arrow to display the playlists withing that library)..... is this making sense???

the final result would be that i simply use "Ollie's Music" as my one and only playlist that my iPod auto-updates from. So if i wanted to take a song from my iPod, all i need do is remove it from this playlist... you see???

i don't know if it's possible to do what i wish to in iTunes. but perhaps there is additional software you know of? Or maybe ive just thought of a new function that SHOULD be in itunes.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

ok. i'll give some examples of my playlists that are on my iPod:

-80s Hip Hop

-Fatboy

-Recently Added

etc,etc. But i also have a playlist named "Ollie's Music" ('Ollie' is my iPod's name - not my own) and this is a smart playlists that gets its songs from the same playlists as my iPod. So essentially whatever is on this list is on my iPod.

What i want to do is have it so that i go into "Ollie's Music" and then it will have all my songs, but also it will have other playlists within it. So it would have a little arrow next to it, and when this is clicked it would display all the playlists (much like when you use a Shared Library, and you click on the little arrow to display the playlists withing that library)..... is this making sense???

the final result would be that i simply use "Ollie's Music" as my one and only playlist that my iPod auto-updates from. So if i wanted to take a song from my iPod, all i need do is remove it from this playlist... you see???

i don't know if it's possible to do what i wish to in iTunes. but perhaps there is additional software you know of? Or maybe ive just thought of a new function that SHOULD be in itunes.

I think that this idea of nested playlists is a good idea for a future version of iTunes/iPod software. As far as I know, there is no way to do it now. At the least I would like to see a way to group certain playlists together. Once you hit 20 or 30 playlists, it becomes cumbersome to scroll through them all to find the one you want. Nesting them would be an easy solution.

addendum: Come to think of it, this is exactly how I functioned back in my WinAmp days. Playlists were just files stored in folders in My Documents. I could group together as many playlists as I wanted into as many subfolders as was necessary. It was a simple and effective way to organize. I do hope that Apple can incorporate something like this into a future version of iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I've been bugging Apple about having nested playlists for a while, I don't they'll be listening until a lot of people submit this feedback to them. Anyways, I somewhat got around this limitation by having a little tag before playlists, i.e. "Soundtrack: <playlist name>", "Rock: <playlist name", etc (and I have over 100 playlists).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    ok, what's the easiest way to bug apple about it? Where do i go?

Thanks all.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

ok, what's the easiest way to bug apple about it? Where do i go?

In iTunes, you'll find a "Provide Feedback" menu item (in the application menu) that will point you to www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html
  • Reply 7 of 11
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    ipodandimac gave you the answer. You create nested playlists by using smart playlists. They won't do the triangle thing but they'll behave like they're nested. I think you'll still have to auto sync from selected playlists but you should be able to manage all your iPod music from a single playlist.

OK. So you have an iTune's playlist of all the music currently on your iPod called "Ollie's Music". It can just be a manual playlist. Then you create smart playlists for all the iPod playlists you want to manage from it. If you want an "Ollie's Recently Added" playlist on your iPod you'd use the parameters

Playlist is Ollie's Music

and (all)

Playlist is (SPL) Recently Added

When you import a song and dump it into Ollie's playlist it will be added to your Recently Added playlist and, consequently, to Ollie's Recently Added. Add checkboxes and limiters to taste or nest some more. For example, you could create an "Ollie's Latest Favorite Hip Hop" with

Playlist is Ollie's Recently Added

and

Genre is hip hop

and

Rating is 5 stars

Then you set your iPod options to auto sync all your Ollie playlists and Bob's your uncle. I can't think of a way to do it from a single playlist. Anyway, if I've understood you correctly, this will let you keep Ollie trim, taut and terrific by manipulating a single playlist.

I think. SPLs make my brain hurt.

I have a vague recollection of some genius around here putting forth a very cogent reason, when this came up once before, why nested playlists, as you're talking about them, aren't a good idea. I can't remember what it was but I think you can take it as read that it's not an oversight on Apple's part.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Since iPhoto has album folders I'd expect iTunes to get the feature too. iTunes 5 I hope.

That and the ability to have my iPod listed when its not mounted, just like you can with the shuffles.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Since iPhoto has album folders I'd expect iTunes to get the feature too. iTunes 5 I hope.

YESS!!! i've written apple so much about this. i need folders. not want. need.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I added my voice to the email chain.... hopefully next 4.x release they'll add this. It can't be *that* hard...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Methinks that iTunes 5 requires Quicktime 7 which requires Tiger, or at least the launch thereof.