Starting a blog - iBlog or blogger.com?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm thinking about starting a blog, but I can't decide if I should use iBlog to creat one hosted on my .Mac account, or if I should use blogger.com. I've had a quick go with both methods, and they both seem pretty simple for what I want to do. However, there are pros and cons to each method... For example, iBlogger integrates with iLife if I want to post pictures, but it wasn't as seamless as I'd hoped. Blogger.com has the advantage that I can update it from anywhere, not just from my Mac... That's just two thoughts that spring to mind.

So, has anyone got experience with either of these methods of running a blog, and if so, how did you find it?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i'm a huge fan of blogger.com (see sig for link)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'm a huge fan of blogger.com (see sig for link)

Thanks for that. I had a quick look at your blog, it looks like it can handle what I want to do. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with...

1) Is it possible to reveres the order of the archive links? To me, it would seem more sensible to have more recent archives higher up the list, in the same way that more recent blog entries are higher up the main page.

2) Do any of the templates fill up more of the screen? From the samples, it looks like they all have a fixed width, but I'd like to have it wider.

Thanks .

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I don't know much about web developing, but blogger allows you to completely rewrite your template if you wish to do so. i havent bothered because i would end up screwing everything up. if you use a template with their graphics, you kinda have to follow their sizes. if you make your own graphics and know how to properly display them with css or whatever they use (i think css is right), it's all yours.

about the archives, i actually hadn't noticed they were reversed. i cant seem to find the setting right now, but i know other people have it the 'correct' way.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks .
  • Reply 5 of 7
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Well, hold it...

I use iBlog, and I´m very happy with it.

Have a look at http://www.denmaru.net . iBlog allows a complete rewrite of the Template as well, and I like the tight integration of iLife.

I´d say, if you already have a .Mac Account, why bother with hosting it somewhere else, and with HTML Interfaces?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I wasn't as impressed with iBlog's iLife integration as I'd hoped I would be. For example, I don't store my iPhoto library as albums, just as individual rolls. So, when I want to select a picture to post using iBlog, I have to scroll through 4000 pictures . I'll admit that blogger.com doesn't have any iLife integration at all, so iBlog clearly wins there, but iBlog is not as seamless as I'd hoped.

I've just thought of a point in favour of blogger.com... It's not taking up space on my iDisk . Plus, I can potentially access it anywhere - whilst away from my Mac, on holiday, etc.

The html interface on blogger.com doesn't support all features on Safari . But I have found MarsEdit that can be used as an editor instead.

So, it loooks like blogger.com is winning so far... any more thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i like blogger.com but 1. i haven't really tried iBlog and 2. i don't post pictures on my blog (too lazy/crap cameraphone/too shy)

hope that helps \