Whats Coming??....Predictions.

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

I think to let people use their PCI / PCI-X cards, there will be both PCI-E and PCI-X slots. Maybe 1 PCI-E for graphics, and 3 PCI-X?

2-E + 2-X would be nice. Add 1 PCI would be better.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    I'm still not sure how Apple might best support full 64 bit analog and digital multitrack audio recording in their new logic boards and expansion slots.

Of course we expect excellent video performance, but how

could one equally enhance audio in some native configuration?

What card and bus configuration might best support the highest quality audio and video if the new PM still only gives you 3 expansion slots?
  • Reply 63 of 71
    You have great insight to where Apple should be going with their new CPU's! You are so right. Pro audio/video mac's should have 4 - 6 built-in slots. But with Apple going native, they are wanting users to use all your tools within the software domain. Additional slots doesn't cost that much to add. But have not seen 6 slots since the 9600 beige 604e's. Where it looks like its going is to more powerful computers with all your key features, functions and capabilites carried out in software instead of hardware. The need for cards is really for video, raid storage and pro tools cards. Even synthesizers and effects are going to software. Very interesting times we live in today. But lets see where Apple takes this. Hopefully they'll listen to end users someday. I hope before it's too late. They are pretty insulated from their key user base.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Also, if the PowerMac's move to PCI Express, just like on PC's there will be no support for AGP cards-so no Radeon 9800's, 9600 or GF5200's.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Invader Zim

Also, if the PowerMac's move to PCI Express, just like on PC's there will be no support for AGP cards-so no Radeon 9800's, 9600 or GF5200's.

They will be. Don't forget the used Mac, and old Mac will always be there, So there is going to be more of them for a while. Same with the PC side. Just because it's mostly moved to PCI-E the old machines still out number the new ones.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:

My Rev. C Power Mac G5 Predictions:

2GHz PowerPC G5

733 GHz frontside bus/processor

512MB L2 cache/processor

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

Expandable to 8GB SDRAM

160GB Serial ATA

16x Dual-layer SuperDrive

Three PCI-X Slots

ATI Radeon 9600 XT

128MB DDR video memory

56K internal modem

$1,499

Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerPC G5

1.15GHz frontside bus/processor

1MB L2 cache/processor

512MB DDR2 400 SDRAM

Expandable to 8GB SDRAM

160GB Serial ATA

Three PCI Express Slots

ATI Radeon 9800

128MB DDR video memory

56K internal modem

$1,999

Dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

1.25GHz frontside bus/processor

1MB L2 cache/processor

512MB DDR2 400 SDRAM

Expandable to 8GB SDRAM

250GB Serial ATA

Three PCI Express Slots

ATI Radeon 9800

128MB DDR video memory

56K internal modem

$2,299

Dual-core 2.8GHz PowerPC G5

1.4GHz frontside bus/processor

1MB L2 cache/processor

1GB DDR2 400 SDRAM

Expandable to 8GB SDRAM

250GB Serial ATA

Three PCI Express Slots

ATI Radeon x800 Platinum

256MB DDR video memory

56K internal modem

$2,899

i think DHagan4755 had it pretty logical here. the thing ppl have to remember is at this point, there isn't currently and there are no plans for GPU's like 6200's, X700's, etc for mac. right now theres pretty much the nvidia 5200 and 6800 and radeon 9200, 9600, 9700, 9800, and X800. it also seems most likely to me in the processor aspect that they'll stick with 2.0, 2.3, 2.5, and whatever they get next. no 2.2's or anything like that, because they already have the other chips in production. they have the 2.0 and 2.5 in the PM's and 2.3 in the xserve. and anywhom, since when has apple ever come out with an astonishingly upgraded line? everything big seems like you're getting your hopes too far up.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Okay, i wont get into the really detailed specs and things, 'cause apple desktops simply arent my dish, 'specially the powermacs.

anywho, looking into my glass ball (i'm a cheapo magician, chrystal is WAY to expensive)

I see:

New low end powermac is simply the old best model, 'cept with single processor and a nVidea 6200 graphics card on the AGP 8x, 100gb SATA hard drive, upgrade options available

Next model up is dual 2.5 ghz. again, is simply best model, but this time keeping the dual processor and upgrading to 6200 graphics card. 150gb SATA, upgrade options available

Next model is single 3ghz, 6600GT graphics card, which is practically an X800 or 6800 in real world performance anywho, PCI express m'board, and if u opened up the case, you would probably find room to fit another processor in, as having only one version of the motherboard for the two top models saves a crudload in manufacturing coasts. 200gb SATA

BEST model is dual 3ghz. 6800Ultra or X800 interchangable graphics card. dual 250gb SATA 7200rpm hard drives. PCI express motherboard.

All models ship with 512mb ram, two top models ship with 1000. I would be pleasantly surprised to find an SLI capable motherboard, and even further pleasantly suprised to find a dual core.

Imac upgrades, rumors flowing round are upgraded to 2.0 ghz, which is why the lower end powermacs need to go to 2.5, as they probably wont sell them otherwise.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Personally, the rumor I'm most eager to see confirmed or denied is the eMac update rumor. I intend on grabbing one if they update the CPU to 1.5, bump the ram up to 512, and put in a 64mb GPU. If thats true, then at the end of the summer I'll probably order one of those, and buy a used 12" G3 ibook for word editing on the road.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    there seems to be rumblings and vague rumours with the Powermacs- but yeeehh what IS going on???? its bloody difficult not knowing whats around the corner with apple- where in the PC world you can estimate and budget for new desktops. GRRR

woops wrong thread!
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Extremely reliable sources have confirmed that tomorrow is

April 1st.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Extremely reliable sources have confirmed that tomorrow is

April 1st.

I hear that.