Exporting to Powerpoint HUUUGE

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I did a Biology project on Keynote and it was only like 15 slides. On Keynote it wasn't that big of a file but when I exported it was nearly 25 megabites. Thats huge and way to big for an email attachment and I need to email it to my bio teacher. How do I fix htis?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Res down your pics to 72 dpi. Thats if you have pics.

Or zip it perhaps?

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Try exporting as an Apple pict image, which can do vectors, and then use photoshop or graphics converter to rasterize it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    PDF export is pretty reasonable (depending on settings), but there are people who report needing to run the Keynote output through Acrobat for further compression.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

I did a Biology project on Keynote and it was only like 15 slides. On Keynote it wasn't that big of a file but when I exported it was nearly 25 megabites. Thats huge and way to big for an email attachment and I need to email it to my bio teacher. How do I fix htis?

Are you using Keynote 2.0? I think this reduced the export sizes. I have a 2.3MB file in Keynote and it produced a 1.6MB PowerPoint slide (it was a 20 page slide show with full resolution designs). It worked beautifully in both. Keynote has better transitions though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Are you using Keynote 2.0? I think this reduced the export sizes. I have a 2.3MB file in Keynote and it produced a 1.6MB PowerPoint slide (it was a 20 page slide show with full resolution designs). It worked beautifully in both. Keynote has better transitions though.

Ya 2.0. Maybe I will try reinstalling. Because on Keynote the size was 2 MB and when I converted it to PP the size multiplied by 13. I am only converting it in the first place because my school teachers have PC's.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Ya 2.0. Maybe I will try reinstalling. Because on Keynote the size was 2 MB and when I converted it to PP the size multiplied by 13. I am only converting it in the first place because my school teachers have PC's.

Can't you export it as a QuickTime movie? That's cross-platform.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Can't you export it as a QuickTime movie? That's cross-platform.

In my experience schools often don't have QuickTime installed. But I would recommend that if you can't get PowerPoint to work. Are these images very large?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Alright thanks for all your help. I just manually moved everything from Keynote to PowerPoint manually and chose a new theme. It didn't take that long, but it would have been much better if converting to PowerPoint worked. From what I saw of Keynote it was a great program though. Luckily converting to Word on Pages works perfect because I use it all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Exporting works fine for the most part... your Keynote file plays back in PowerPoint as intended.

PowerPoint just can't handle high quality images Keynote sends it without exploding in filesize (even without transitions or builds), so you're comparing Apples to low-res Lemons.

Blame belongs with PP, not KN. It's a quality thing again... typical Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    but i think there should be an option to compress or something.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

but i think there should be an option to compress or something.

I've exported vector graphics inside Keynote and the file was smaller in PowerPoint. I think it depends on the sizes of the images. Keynote doesn't like large images either.