is there a SIMPLE way to cut pieces of movies????

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
ive tried so many things

i know how to do it with adobe aftereffects but it makes me render the entire thing again and only lets you do it in flash/avi Plus the render makes the final product lose quality

final cut is such a hassle, a ram hog and creates a bunch of crap on the harddisk. i know how to use it but its annoying for something just so simple

i-movie i dont see how to do it with this maybe i just havnt experimented enough

otherwise, does anyone know a SIMPLE way to simply cut pieces of a movie and save the final product? i dont wana render or go through a big mission.

if there is an easy way with these apps im not seeing or another app that does it simply please let me know

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    http://www.objectifmac.com/english/actu.php

D-Vision

AMAZING software. Beautiful... and free.

Them Frenchies love that OSX yumminess

• Reply 2 of 11
    wow thanx for the amazingly quick response!

you rock!!!

edit: damn you live in paris? i love france! im dying to go!

french girls are so hot, theyre my favorite along with german girls.

do you think paris is a great place to live? i really wana leave the united states but im having a very hard time deciding where to go.

i like france a lot cuz the people there are just real you know? they arent all about that small talk, and they like good music and they say what they feel rather then saying what propaganda tells them to say, etc etc (and of course the chix and their sexy accents)

thanx again!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Thanks for the link ZO. I'm going to cut me some French movies...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    If you have QuickTime Pro, you can select a portion of the movie using the split markers over the playback head and go the the File menu to "Save As".

About the simplest way I know of, but I haven't checked ZO's link.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you require.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    outside of USA and UK, Paris has the largest American population... or so I am told (and to be honest I see and hear so many I don't doubt it).

I live in dead center of Paris near the Sorbonne. Its fun as hell around here with both non Parisians and Expats/Students.

Parisians and French are two different "species". Parisians actually give non-Parisian French a harder time than expats. As usual, the capital city of a country is envied by the rest of the people.. kinda like NYC or LA for the USA.

If you come here as a student, you'll probably hang with the non Parisian french since they'll be more open and less elitest.

Dont get me wrong, Parisians CAN be fun and cool too... sometimes.

Anyway, worse comes to worse, there are hundreds of bars and places to go out, hang out, chill, take it easy, etc. Anything for all tastes.

Its been 2 1/2 years since I been here and the first year was a bit slow and hard... then I just went with my own rhythm and am having a blast.

Advice? Well, can't imagine it being any funner than being a student here. Otherwise Brussels is a blast for when you're a student. Paris is about 50$ return fare with a high speed train and takes 1h20 minutes from city to city. I used to commute from Brussels to Paris. International scene in Brux is top notch. I absolutely loved my 7 years there and would do it again in without hesitation.

Brussels has the advantage that it costs a LOT less to rent and live, but is within spitting distance of everywhere in Europe (London is 2h30 byy train, cheap flights to anywhere else, etc).

As for the chick scene... hmmm.. you may have met them out of their native scene. Around here, French chicks seem to want to go through a season's worth of cooing and dating and etc etc... Of course you got the odd exception here and there...

If you want, err, easy fun then go to Finland and Iceland from June to August. I swear... the easiest and funnest times I've had. (psss... Sweden's a myth... skip it... they're bomb shells... but they know it.. and to tell the truth... after seeing 500 gorgeous blondes strutting around all over Stockholm... well... you kinda dont see them anymore.. if you know what I mean)

Yeay. So. Slightly off topic.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    uh imovie is ridiculously easy, and final cut doesn't make a mess anywhere as long as you read the directions before you go crazy with it. surely if you spent the $500 or whatever for it you know how to use it, right?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    He said 'SIMPLE', not 'EXPENSIVE'.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    thank you geneclean

people say things these days just so they can raise their own self esteem or something, wtf

ipodandimac, can you even read? i clearly said i know how, why do you like to see yourself talk?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

He said 'SIMPLE', not 'EXPENSIVE'.

final cut IS simple though. especially since he just noted he knows how to use it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ok you can stop posting now ipodandimac, and since when is fce 500 bux? imovie also isnt working with the movie file types i need, aside from those facts my point is i dont wana render!!!

----

quicktime pro looks exactly like what im looking for i might buy it eventually, i cant figure out the free program when working with mpg's so i guess ill just use final cut till then
  • Reply 11 of 11
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I think you are finding iMovie is not reading the kinds of file types you use because you have to convert your material to DV format (using QT Pro?) for it to pick it up. Of course, if you already have QTP, then you can use it in the manner it was suggested earlier. It just might not be as "clean" a cut given the data compression scheme.