Future tech for iPod batteries

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Register reports on a snazzy new little number Toshiba are working on..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...i-ion_battery/

600mAh is a only a little less than the current gen iPods, (850? from memory), so a 1000 or more will be just the ticket with the newer chipsets in iPods that will draw less juice for long run times and colour screens etc..

One wonders if Apple will put the word on Toshiba on first use of these new gen batteries the same way they snagged all the first run iPod hdds..

This new battery tech will also be a great boon for wireless iPods.. Bring the lurv on Toshiba !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    but will the batteries expire after so long?

That's what I have against Apple...All those people who bought a IPOD and now they're stuck with a $200something paperweight because Apple got cheap and used sh*tty batteries.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alaskanblacklab

Apple got cheap and used sh*tty batteries.

Funny... I have an original 5 gig bought when it was released that still works fine.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Oh, how classic. Everybody seems to have a 5 Gigger that works fine. Dang, you can't criticize anything even though it's a legitimate issue.

If you start criticizing the iMac videocard, someone will come saying he has an Apple II and it works better than Dell. If you criticize the PowerMac's lack of enough RAM by default, someone will point to his 1984 Macintosh saying it runs just fine.

How unexpected and not at all predictable.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Oh, how classic. Everybody seems to have a 5 Gigger that works fine. Dang, you can't criticize anything even though it's a legitimate issue.

Take it easy man. I was just stating my experience and since when does one post from me constitute Everybody.

Also, based on this and other threads it appears alaskanblacklab is just another trollboy anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alaskanblacklab

but will the batteries expire after so long?

That's what I have against Apple...All those people who bought a IPOD and now they're stuck with a $200something paperweight because Apple got cheap and used sh*tty batteries.

They reportedly only lose 1% on 1000 charges. SO they last longer in both senses, they also take only sixty seconds to charge to 80% capacity: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/...ging-time.html