Mac OS X Tiger tops Amazon software sales, outselling TurboTax

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In a research note released to clients on Thursday, PiperJaffray said it believes that Apple's product availability is improving, particularly for both versions of the iPod Shuffle and Mac mini. The research and investment firm also noted that Mac OS X Tiger is outselling TurboTax at one of the Internet's largest online retailers.

"Over the last several weeks, the estimated time to ship every Apple product either remained the same or was reduced except for the iPod U2," senior analyst, Gene Munster, wrote in the report. "Though it might be a stretch, the increase in estimated days to ship the iPod U2 (same business day to 1-2 days) could be related to the strong U2 Vertigo 2005 Concert Tour ticket sales."

The analyst also noted that Apple products continue to be top sellers Amazon.com. In his latest checks, he found that 4 of the top 10 best selling computers on the online retailer's Web site are made by Apple. And although this figure has declined from a high of 6 out of 10 on a couple of occasions over the past two months, Apple remains tied with Sony for the largest presence in the top 10.

"We believe this shows that Apple continues to hold a significant computer market presence," the analyst said.

Munster also pointed out that 8 of the top 10 best selling MP3 players on Amazon were versions of the iPod. "This is the first time we have examined the iPod's popularity on Amazon.com, but we believe it shows that Apple continues to be the dominant producer of portable MP3 players," he said.

More significant however, Munster found that Apple's OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system software, which has not been released yet, was the number 1 seller in the Software Top Seller category.

"Though it is hard to determine how the rank translates to revenue, it is safe to say that the success of the Tiger preorder was a surprise to us, given that it is outselling the seasonally strong TurboTax software," the analyst wrote.

Amazon.com is currently offering Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" with a $35 rebate, lowering the cost of the software to $95.

PiperJaffray maintained its "outperform" rating on Apple with a price target of $50 a share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    In other news... we still have no release date. Can somebody at Apple *please* slip this out? I need to know which day to take off of work to camp at the Apple Store to be first in line.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I think that it's really impressive, especially since it's only "3% marketshare".

Not to mention the fact that there still isn't an official release date.

Of course all the Mac-haters will try to write this off as "Mac-zealots eating whatever Apple feeds them".
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Let's hope they do... it's always a sure sign that Apple's doing great things when the Windows conformists start to get defensive
  • Reply 4 of 20
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

In other news... we still have no release date. Can somebody at Apple *please* slip this out? I need to know which day to take off of work to camp at the Apple Store to be first in line.

If its anything like the last 2 or 3 releases, plan to camp out friday night and buy saturday morning.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Of course you could just mail-order it and have it delivered to your door on release day as well.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Of course you could just mail-order it and have it delivered to your door on release day as well.

And miss scoring free t-shirt or pin?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I missed these for the last two updates since I bought on student discount. I hope the Apple goods is worth the extra $50 I have to pay this time around.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Even better, pre-ordering from apple sometimes gets it delivered to your door prior to the official release date.

It happened for me on the last two OS X releases.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Even better, pre-ordering from apple sometimes gets it delivered to your door prior to the official release date.

Why do you suppose we have not had a count down like in past years???
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Why do you suppose we have not had a count down like in past years???

honestly, because i don't think even apple knows for sure when they'll release it. and maybe, for once, someone smacked steve before he announced a ship date without consulting the engineering department first.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Do the edu discount purchasers get that service, or are they sent to the back of the line by default?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Do the edu discount purchasers get that service, or are they sent to the back of the line by default?

I purchased the last two releases as a student and they were delivered by FedEx on the official release date.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I missed these for the last two updates since I bought on student discount. I hope the Apple goods is worth the extra $50 I have to pay this time around.

When you compare it to paying for SMS text messaging I'm really not sure. Afterall, that is so worth dumping money down the drain. Or how about those damn ring tones?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    tazznbtazznb Posts: 54member
    "Mac OS X Tiger tops Amazon software sales, outselling TurboTax"

What did you expect?? Microsoft has to buy enough copies (for their developers) so that they can copy the functions into windows.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

When you compare it to paying for SMS text messaging I'm really not sure. Afterall, that is so worth dumping money down the drain. Or how about those damn ring tones?

I think I'm missing your point? My cell phone is an el-cheapo black and white display made for making phone calls only type.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tazznb

"Mac OS X Tiger tops Amazon software sales, outselling TurboTax"

What did you expect?? Microsoft has to buy enough copies (for their developers) so that they can copy the functions into windows.

Not only that but it's kinda late in the tax season to be purchasing tax return software.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Well, if you're one of those who feels 5 hours of their life (and paying full price) is worth the price of a brand new T-shirt or a 5 cent piece of tin to stick on it, I guess you got a point. Me, I'd rather get some sleep, take my $35 amazon savings and buy a couple of t-shirts. Hell, you could probably buy those shirts on ebay.

Guess I'm just missing all the excitement. Of course, if I were to buy Tiger on day one, install it, then what? Go "Oh, wow, let me find all the files on my computer that have the word "naked" and "neighbor" in them!" Or, um, start playing with dashboard widgets. "In comes the calculator. There goes the calculator. In comes the calculator, and there goes the calculator...".

So, exactly, what about this release should I be standing in line for, slobbering over myself to install the minute it comes out? Or is it just "OMG! I've got the latest OS on my system! This is so cool! Now, here's all the programs it broke: ..... And my printer stopped working and needs new drivers. And my firewire disks won't mount (well, one wants to mount, but insists there's nothing on the drive). And my iSight keeps catching fire. And Doom performance sucks even more so than before."?

I'm just curious as to what the excitement is all about.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I recommend valium.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Louzer it's all about the experience. Nobody can say that they are really waiting for a feature in 10.4 *that* much. But when I am on my death bed, retelling my life story to NPR, I'll be the one telling them that I was there when it all started. I was there when she wouldn't get off the bus. I was there when the wall fell. I was there when the planes crashed. But most of all.. I was there for every release of OS X. From 10.0, to 10.10.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    As an amateur developer I can't wait to start fiddling with all the new Core* Frameworks added in Tiger. If they do a midnight Friday release then I have all weekend to install and play with it.