Tiger question: Any improvements to iSync?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi to all in the know, I hope you can shed somelight onto my questions:

- What is the synching engine like in Tiger?

- Did they improve mobile phone support/increase the number of supported models?

- Are there any enhancements in iCal as far as synching, Mail and AddressBook support are concerned?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Tiger should bring support for SyncML which will allow most modern phones to work.

The current glaring examples that we have now, i.e. basically Motorola's entire lineup (via bluetooth, iSync does support Motorola's USB syncing software) and the Nokia 6230 plus a few others should all work.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Tiger should bring support for SyncML which will allow most modern phones to work.

The current glaring examples that we have now, i.e. basically Motorola's entire lineup (via bluetooth, iSync does support Motorola's USB syncing software) and the Nokia 6230 plus a few others should all work.

I've heard differently...

AFAIK, Panther already uses SyncML. The reason so many Nokia phones (including the 6230) don't work is that they only support SyncML over the air, not over bluetooth.

This may be wrong, but I've heard it from a lot of places.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    iSync currently supports SyncML - they at least announced it to during the original introduction in 2002 (?).

It is depressing that Apple seems to be as unwilling to fill the void as the cellphone manufacturers.

Has anyone any hands-on experience with mobile phone synching in Tiger?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    iSync has been dismal experience with me with the Address Book between 2 macs, .Mac, and my Nokia 6600.

I get duplicates, currupt entries, etc

Also the calendar would mess up all the time with duplicates, triplicate entries for same day etc.

There is a 500 page rant at Apple Discussion Forums *just* for Nokia 6600 problems.

I REALLY hope Tiger's iSync gets things going better...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If Panther uses SyncML it's a screwy implementation because Motorola phones use SyncML over bluetooth and a different (supported) protocol for USB.

Either way, Tiger is supposed to fix it.