Will this card fit into my G4?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

a friend of mine has a g5 that came with an ATI Radion 9600 Pro 64mb Graphics Card. He is going to upgrade and asked if I fancied buying the ati 9600 from him. Does anyone know if this card is compatible with my G4 dual 450 sawtooth mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

Hi,

a friend of mine has a g5 that came with an ATI Radion 9600 Pro 64mb Graphics Card. He is going to upgrade and asked if I fancied buying the ati 9600 from him. Does anyone know if this card is compatible with my G4 dual 450 sawtooth mac?

I'd phone Apple and check, that's the safest option. It's quite old so the documentation on their web-site isn't as good as it could be.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    that card is incompatible with 2X AGP slots, which the sawtooth has. only 4X and above. the 466 mhz digital audio power mac was the first mac to have the 4X AGP slot..so it would work fine on that system with a slight modification to pins 3 and 11...but not yours.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    thanx trans9B!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rollorollo Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trans9B View Post

that card is incompatible with 2X AGP slots, which the sawtooth has. only 4X and above. the 466 mhz digital audio power mac was the first mac to have the 4X AGP slot..so it would work fine on that system with a slight modification to pins 3 and 11...but not yours.

Hello all

well, I have the same card and a G4 867 digital audio and I would like to do this mod,

does anyone know how to make it ?

Thanks

Rollo