Tiger Near?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was in an Apple store this morning and more than half of the machines were in the process of receiving a new drive image... Are the rumors true? Is April 1st (tomorrow) the big day? Looks like it could be!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Wow. That is very interesting. I don't see why they would have Tiger on the machines tomorrow. We were only expecting them to give us a ship date tomorrow, not actually make it available.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Is it possible they will just have it up for trying? have they done this in the past before a release is actually available?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ilawilaw Posts: 15member
    It is unusual. Apple would be displaying Tiger knowing that they can only sell Panther to people. If a person brought a Mac based on the OS they saw in store they will be disappointed when they get it home and find another OS on the system. Apple could only get away with that if they offered a free upgrade after Tiger is released.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I believe all Apple display computers get reimaged daily. Keeps them from getting CompUSAitis.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I certainly don't think Tiger would be deployed on demo machines before a shipping date has been announced.

Although letting shoppers bang away at it all day aint a bad way to perform an extra round of QA.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I believe all Apple display computers get reimaged daily. Keeps them from getting CompUSAitis.

You would think that they would be booting from a image on a netboot server. A simple restart resets them. They also could simply update the image with Tiger, reboot and all computers would be runnin' Tiger.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Imaged weekly by policy unless they get hosed. This was easy to bust. Just called the local store and asked....