iPod shuffle design flawed? Pic inside

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not sure if I'm the only one that this has happened to but, yesterday I was removing the shuffle from the shuffle dock and the bottom portion of the shuffle snapped off. Full pic here along with updates:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_p...p?picid=378471

Sooo furious at Apple right now

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    that really sucks. i dont think this is a widespread issue, so i bet apple will replace it in no time if you give them a call.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    it is flawed.

that piece is not glued on by Apple, and it's not long enough to get the structural support needed for it's position.

I was thinking this would happen when I first saw the shuffle disected.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Called apple and they won't sodder the ribbon. Applecar apparently doens't cover physical damage and I'll be charged for a new one. Then, I went looking for a computer repair shop and found one in Wethersfield that initially said they couldn't do it because it's a 1 piece unit and I realized that the board inside was on a tray and looked like it could be removed. Went to this amazing site: http://www.chipmunk.nl/ipod/ipodshuffle.html and got the tray out. Computer Resources will reconnect the USB ribbon long enough for me to get the data off of the shuffle and for only $80. And i just realized that my dad won a 512MB shuffle through work Stuff it, Apple#mad
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by celebi23

Computer Resources will reconnect the USB ribbon long enough for me to get the data off of the shuffle and for only $80.

just buy a new one.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hdcoolhdcool Posts: 48member
    :S

I hope that doesn't happen to me...

Those prices you name there are a disgrace.. $500 for a 1-2 businessday replace?? how insane is that.. pff.

I like apple a lot but sometimes i can't follow those guys..

money maniacs!
  • Reply 6 of 11
  • Reply 7 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    My lanyard cap broke (the inside bit got stuck to the USB) and Apple replaced it immediately. Apple care covers faulty workmanship. Don't let Apple take you for a ride, you have consumer rights.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    celebi23celebi23 Posts: 23member
    Went ot the repair shop in Wethersfield, CT which turned out to be the Apple Reseller that my family used to use up until 2000 The guy who helped was going to try and take the USB ribbon and plug from his 512 shuffle and put it on mine so i could transfer the data. Turns out that he had an incredible time popping out the USB plug. It looked like I wanted my files, the guy would need to severly damage his shuffle (that he wanted to sell in the near future) and that I would have to pay for a new one. I had some b-day money left over and put it towards that#mad So, he gets the USB plug onto mine and I get my files. In his shuffle, there was a TON of glue and on mine,almost none. Only the 2 clip things on the sides held my USB cap. He then used the parts from both shuffles to make me a working shuffle. Left some details out of this for some reasons. ( Big Apple is watching you) send me a message if you want the rest of the story.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thats why people don't even want to use the lanyard to carry around this thing... it can fall apart so easily...

for an alternative try www.ipodt.com
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cazlarcazlar Posts: 11member
    I had a similar problem with my shuffle not very long after I got it, but luckily the ribbon didn't break, rather the end was just loose/broken. Every time I wanted to sync I had to carefully pull it apart to make sure that just the cap came off rather than the whole thing. Other than that it worked fine though.

After a week or so of putting up with it, I took it to be repaired at the local reseller. They ended up just replacing it with a new shuffle which so far hasn't had any similar symptoms.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Sorry man, that's a bummer, but as someone pointed out, you DO have consumer rights. I understand you wanting to get your music off of it, but I'd just keep calling Apple about it and go as far up as you need to. My iMac G4 had a broken neck and that was covered by AppleCare, so surely Apple will have to cover the Shuffle falling apart in your computer. Just be polite and refuse to take no for an answer.

I had a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 ... 45,000 miles and the power steering pump, the fog lights and the serpentine belt all crapped out on me. Of course it's 9K out of warranty and Dodge wants me to pay for it, but I complained enough and to enough people to where they recanted and did the repairs under "warranty."

I understand your situation ... as loyal as I am to Apple, they can try to give you the go-around when it comes to warranty repairs. Don't pay for this ... make Apple fix their mistake...