Need help with iPhoto attachments in Mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading AppleInsider for about two years now and in Nov. 2004, I purchased my first Apple. I now own an iMac G5 20".

My problem is how do I attach a photo from iPhoto into Mail without the picture expanding to its full 600KB size? Can't I just attach it as a jpeg icon and the person I send it to can double click on it and it'll expand then, as I don't want to bog down there e-mail exchanger. The store where I bought the system told me to try and drag an iPhoto to my desktop and then go into Mail and make it an attachment, when I did this it still expand to the full size in Mail. Before I go searching for either a freeware or shareware program on VersionTracker, I thought I would check with AppleInsider first.

Thanks in advance for any of your help,

infp2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by infp2

Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading AppleInsider for about two years now and in Nov. 2004, I purchased my first Apple. I now own an iMac G5 20".

My problem is how do I attach a photo from iPhoto into Mail without the picture expanding to its full 600KB size? Can't I just attach it as a jpeg icon and the person I send it to can double click on it and it'll expand then, as I don't want to bog down there e-mail exchanger. The store where I bought the system told me to try and drag an iPhoto to my desktop and then go into Mail and make it an attachment, when I did this it still expand to the full size in Mail. Before I go searching for either a freeware or shareware program on VersionTracker, I thought I would check with AppleInsider first.

Thanks in advance for any of your help,

infp2

Just click the E-Mail button at the bottom of iPhoto. It will give you a choice of sizes (640x480, 1024x768, or full size), so pick the size you want and click on OK. iPhoto will send the image to Mail.app, and create a new message. It works very well. If you're running iPhoto 05 and don't have an E-Mail button try clicking on the Share menu ... E-Mail should be one of the choices.

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by infp2

My problem is how do I attach a photo from iPhoto into Mail without the picture expanding to its full 600KB size? Can't I just attach it as a jpeg icon and the person I send it to can double click on it and it'll expand then, as I don't want to bog down there e-mail exchanger.

You can select the photo in iPhoto, choose "Export", and then choose "JPEG". Then go to Mail and click Attachment and find the file you exported. Whether this makes a smaller file than just choosing the size from the iPhoto "Mail" button at the bottom, I don't know.

If you mean can you just put a "link" to the file in your email so that the actual file isn't mailed, you would have to put the photo on a file server like dot-mac's "Photo Album" feature where you make a web page with photos from iPhoto and then you could email the person the link to your dot-mac photo album page.

Or you could get web space somewhere else, ftp the file up there, and email the link.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    infp2infp2 Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

You can select the photo in iPhoto, choose "Export", and then choose "JPEG". Then go to Mail and click Attachment and find the file you exported. Whether this makes a smaller file than just choosing the size from the iPhoto "Mail" button at the bottom, I don't know.

If you mean can you just put a "link" to the file in your email so that the actual file isn't mailed, you would have to put the photo on a file server like dot-mac's "Photo Album" feature where you make a web page with photos from iPhoto and then you could email the person the link to your dot-mac photo album page.

Or you could get web space somewhere else, ftp the file up there, and email the link.

lundy,

Thanks that worked, but I also wanted to make it into an icon format instead of a pic, so I contol-clicked the attachment and found I could change the viewed format to an icon.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Reply 4 of 4
    infp2infp2 Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mslifkin

Just click the E-Mail button at the bottom of iPhoto. It will give you a choice of sizes (640x480, 1024x768, or full size), so pick the size you want and click on OK. iPhoto will send the image to Mail.app, and create a new message. It works very well. If you're running iPhoto 05 and don't have an E-Mail button try clicking on the Share menu ... E-Mail should be one of the choices.

Regards,

Marc

Marc,

Thanks for the info, as your way worked too.

Mark