Hitachi: 60GB 1" hard drives in 2007

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A story on BBC News today says Hitachi will start using a new type of recording to produce hard drives with 230GB per square inch in 2007. So hopefully we should be seeing iPod minis with the capacity of today's iPods in 3 years. Not that this wasn't expected looking at how far the iPod has come in that kind of time frame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

A story on BBC News today says Hitachi will start using a new type of recording to produce hard drives with 230GB per square inch in 2007. So hopefully we should be seeing iPod minis with the capacity of today's iPods in 3 years. Not that this wasn't expected looking at how far the iPod has come in that kind of time frame.

I can't wait to see what the iPods will be at. Can you say 100gb with video?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm excited about the applications in digital camcorders. I'm looking forward to the industry moving beyond tape and small high density drives will be just the ticket. Cram a bunch of them into a cartridge, tie them together with a RAID controller and get to capturing video.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm excited about the applications in digital camcorders. I'm looking forward to the industry moving beyond tape and small high density drives will be just the ticket. Cram a bunch of them into a cartridge, tie them together with a RAID controller and get to capturing video.

Do you think reliability of a "mini-RAID" can be addressed to the satisfaction of pro video shooters?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Do you think reliability of a "mini-RAID" can be addressed to the satisfaction of pro video shooters?

Yes.

RAID Levels 1,5, 10 and 0+1 would work fine. Data is pretty much safe even if you lose a drive. The speed is fine as well. HDV only requires a max of 25mbps. I'd say tape based cameras have about another 5-7 years tops before they are overtaken by solid state and hard drive based storage.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    But (in the camcorder) why not just use one single terabyte drive? Simpler and cheaper.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

But (in the camcorder) why not just use one single terabyte drive? Simpler and cheaper.

There would be no redundancy.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Tapes aren't redundant. They don't spontaneously fail like hard disks do, but they have other failure modes.