iMac G5 to include phone capability (possibly).

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple could incorporate a mobile phone style camera and a 640x480 OLED screen into the iMac range. The OLED screens are thin enough to fit into that white area at the bottom of the iMac. Apple could put put a smaller apple logo at the top of the screen and the camera could go into the middle. They could so an Apple of your eye type spiel.

With the next version of iChat you can use your screen to do work and have a phone conversation with collegues, friends etc and still be able to do your work.

Plug a phone jack into the Mac and it could utilise the phone line as well.

Have an iTunes type store for phone use.

Perhaps plug in your mobile phone as well to use the mac as the phone. Could also possibly work on Laptops.

It could record conversations in mp3 (for archive). Have a huge call list and phone book.

Dobby.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    Or, maybe not.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Thanks for signing your name, though.

wilco.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

Or, maybe not.

Think Different - wasn't that the catch cry of Apple a few years ago?

Give the guy a break.

Personally, I think the idea of a camera built in to the iMac would be a great selling point and look better than the iSight peeking over the top of the screen, looking at you like a one-eyed mechanoid. And combining a phone isn't such a crazy idea either. The popularity of Skype has shown that people are happy to make calls from their computers.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    a j steva j stev Posts: 79member
    April Fools was last week
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Camera - OK.

2nd OLED -
  • Reply 6 of 18
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Well I like to sip my morning coffee while browsing the internet for news, so maybe Apple should make an iMac with a built-in espresso maker. It's so thin already that they could just add the espresso maker to the back and have a GUI utility for it to control temperature, notify when done, etc. And I also like to have a bagel with my coffee, so Apple should add a little refrigerated cubby-hole to the other side of the iMac opposite the espresso maker, so I can keep my cream cheese handy. Then at the top there can be bins for knives, spoons, and napkins. That way I could work on my iMac while having my coffee and making a bagel.

Of course that would be in addition to having a phone conversation while leaning in to speak at the mic on my iMac.

Sometimes when I'm out of bagels, I like toast. Apple could incorporate an external heat sink into the iMac, on a dual CPU model, and use it as a toaster. I could keep some blueberry preserves in the refrigerated cubby-hole next to my cream cheese.

Then there's the mornings that I have a fruit smoothie. For this I'll need a Vita-Mixer hunked on to the back of the iMac. I can just load it up with fruit and spices, and then control the mixer via a GUI interface on my iMac. With the proper sensors, my iMac could even tell me when my smoothie is done! That would RULE!

Heh, speaking of multiple function appliances, I recently saw a refrigerator with a built-in LCD TeeVee on the door. I guess so you can watch TeeVee while standing in the kitchen, walking towards to 'fridge to get a beer or whatever.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Thanks for a good laugh!

But keep it going; after all, man doesn't live by bread - or bagels - alone. No salmon with the creamed cheese? And then there's our other needs: sleep, companionship, back-scratch.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Dobby good for you for suggesting some new and interesting ideas. Very refreshing. Like the idea of incorporating a phone in an iMac takes something off of my cluttered desk. Done the Apple way could be a great feature. As for the iSight camera the only problem I see is the how to move the camera around which is a must imo. (be great if the mouse could do it)
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Anyone remember the Geo Teleport Adapter that shipped with the AV Quadras back in the day? Interesting concept, but I never knew anyone who used the telephony capabilities of it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Well I like to sip my morning coffee while browsing the internet for news, so maybe Apple should make an iMac with a built-in espresso maker. It's so thin already that they could just add the espresso maker to the back and have a GUI utility for it to control temperature, notify when done, etc. And I also like to have a bagel with my coffee, so Apple should add a little refrigerated cubby-hole to the other side of the iMac opposite the espresso maker, so I can keep my cream cheese handy. Then at the top there can be bins for knives, spoons, and napkins. That way I could work on my iMac while having my coffee and making a bagel.

Of course that would be in addition to having a phone conversation while leaning in to speak at the mic on my iMac.

Sometimes when I'm out of bagels, I like toast. Apple could incorporate an external heat sink into the iMac, on a dual CPU model, and use it as a toaster. I could keep some blueberry preserves in the refrigerated cubby-hole next to my cream cheese.

Then there's the mornings that I have a fruit smoothie. For this I'll need a Vita-Mixer hunked on to the back of the iMac. I can just load it up with fruit and spices, and then control the mixer via a GUI interface on my iMac. With the proper sensors, my iMac could even tell me when my smoothie is done! That would RULE!

Heh, speaking of multiple function appliances, I recently saw a refrigerator with a built-in LCD TeeVee on the door. I guess so you can watch TeeVee while standing in the kitchen, walking towards to 'fridge to get a beer or whatever.

The heat sink could double as a meat dehydrator so you could make your own beef jerky too. The possibilities are endless!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

Anyone remember the Geo Teleport Adapter that shipped with the AV Quadras back in the day? Interesting concept, but I never knew anyone who used the telephony capabilities of it.

With greater processing power of todays macs apple could update this nifty feature to include real teleportation.

• Reply 12 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    C'mon guys, to run Skype all they'd need to add would be a microphone.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Well I like to sip my morning coffee while browsing the internet for news, so maybe Apple should make an iMac with a built-in espresso maker. It's so thin already that they could just add the espresso maker to the back and have a GUI utility for it to control temperature, notify when done, etc.

While this might be impractical due to space constraints with the iMac G5, I think Apple is clearly moving in this direction with the liquid-cooled G5 towers. Right now, you see a self-contained liquid cooling loop, but when you consider the huge amount of wasted space in front of the CPUs at the bottom of the tower, something is clearly missing in that space. No doubt, they are merely perfecting the technology whereby the liquid cooling system will change from a closed-loop to a pass-through type unit, which will heat the water as it flows forward to the one-cup coffee brewer which is destined for the empty spot between the front of the units and the CPUs. Those who buy the faster machines will not only be rewarded by speedier rendering in FCP, but they'll also have their cuppa joe in the morning more quickly that the low-end users, and this will be a great selling point for the high-end towers!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    gdconwaygdconway Posts: 71member
    Incorporating a phone would be great. Combine caller ID, address book, voice mail, VOIP, etc. The phone a basic office necessity that could be imrpoved by incorporating it into the Mac. There are various applications that do it now, but it'd be great to have it incorporated into the OS. Its more like incorporating facsimile/scanner capabitlities into a printer than a coffee maker into a computer. Why be so dismissive of a good idea?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Sometimes when I'm out of bagels, I like toast. Apple could incorporate an external heat sink into the iMac, on a dual CPU model, and use it as a toaster.

Just use a TiBook 400 rev A, like I do. It doesn't need any modification.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

While this might be impractical due to space constraints with the iMac G5, I think Apple is clearly moving in this direction with the liquid-cooled G5 towers. Right now, you see a self-contained liquid cooling loop, but when you consider the huge amount of wasted space in front of the CPUs at the bottom of the tower, something is clearly missing in that space. No doubt, they are merely perfecting the technology whereby the liquid cooling system will change from a closed-loop to a pass-through type unit, which will heat the water as it flows forward to the one-cup coffee brewer which is destined for the empty spot between the front of the units and the CPUs. Those who buy the faster machines will not only be rewarded by speedier rendering in FCP, but they'll also have their cuppa joe in the morning more quickly that the low-end users, and this will be a great selling point for the high-end towers!

LOL, you'd be able to tell if someone had been using their Mac for CPU intensive tasks, because they'd be all hopped-up on caffeine!

You could also use the CPU heat to generate steam, which could then power a coffee bean grinder. There's nothing like coffee made from freshly ground coffee beans!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

LOL, you'd be able to tell if someone had been using their Mac for CPU intensive tasks, because they'd be all hopped-up on caffeine!

You could also use the CPU heat to generate steam, which could then power a coffee bean grinder. There's nothing like coffee made from freshly ground coffee beans!

OOhh! A steamed-milk cappuchino maker! NOW we're talkin'!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Thats right laugh!

Huh, just you wait until Apple releases something like this. I heard something like this is due to be announced the day Windows becomes OpenSource!

Anyways,

How about incorporating a slot to put your sim card in as well.

You could also build the dialer into the mouse scroll wheel.

Dobby.