Classic on Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was watching the Tiger demos and there's no classic preference in the system preferences. Does this only appear if you have classic installed or is classic no longer supported (I doubt the latter)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I was watching the Tiger demos and there's no classic preference in the system preferences. Does this only appear if you have classic installed or is classic no longer supported (I doubt the latter)?

Unless things have changed for the GM version but on Apples 10.4 preview pages there is a preference for Classic. Second icon from the bottom left.

• Reply 2 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The Classic SysPref in Tiger is only visible if you have a Classic System Folder on your drive.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The Classic SysPref in Tiger is only visible if you have a Classic System Folder on your drive.

Oh right, cos it's not visible here:

I did suspect that, rather than it not being supported, I just wanted to make sure. Although I haven't used classic since I bought Adobe Creative Suite last June.

Edit: (For legal reasons I am declaring that this is a screenshot of one of the Apple movies of Tiger - I do not have access to Tiger.)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Great. That is the way it should be. I haven't had classic installed for at least a couple years and it always bugged me that I had to have that in the pref pane.

Now it only there was a way to get rid of the .Mac prefs.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesloth

Great. That is the way it should be. I haven't had classic installed for at least a couple years and it always bugged me that I had to have that in the pref pane.

Now it only there was a way to get rid of the .Mac prefs.

there is, delete it! go to, Hard Disk>System>Library>PrefercesPanes>Mac.prefpane and delete it. I've got no idea of the impact on your system though! Try at your risk
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Has anyone tried to remove the .Mac pref pane?

It's not quite worth it to me to risk it. If nobody has experience, then maybe I'll try before I upgrade to TIger. That way I'll already be backed up and ready to deal with a complete overhaul.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

there is, delete it! go to, Hard Disk>System>Library>PrefercesPanes>Mac.prefpane and delete it. I've got no idea of the impact on your system though! Try at your risk

Touching anything under System without a) knowing what it is, b) knowing what touching it will do, c) having a backup ready just in case is just plain asking for trouble.

Anything that is designed to be user modifiable will be found in /Library or ~/Library. If it's in /System, hands off is the best policy unless you know exactly what you're doing.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Touching anything under System without a) knowing what it is, b) knowing what touching it will do, c) having a backup ready just in case is just plain asking for trouble.

Anything that is designed to be user modifiable will be found in /Library or ~/Library. If it's in /System, hands off is the best policy unless you know exactly what you're doing.

That's why I attached the warning.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    basically, i don't see why they would stop supporting classic. i mean, classic is now frozen until the end of time. heck, we may be at os xii and someone will go "hey, i wonder if i could put a classic folder on this quad g6 and see if it works," and lo and behold, it pobably still will. no reason to intentionally break it. it is, however, getting increasingly more difficult to INSTALL it if you don't already have it. technically, my classic os 9 cd that came with jaguar needs to boot to install from it. well, last i checked, latest apple hardware won't boot from os 9. so that cd isn't going to do you much good.

it is kinda nice that classic is frozen, though. if you install it on some old computer that's been upgraded to a G4, you can use all the old resedit hacks and be sure you won't have it modified by some upcoming classic update. and i guarantee you no one is writing virii for classic anymore, still supports usb 1.1 and firewire 400.

of course, i come not to praise classic, but to bury it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Another option to get rid of preference panes rather than deleting them is to move them somewhere else safe. Then if you ever need it, you can go back and get it.

I'm pretty certain that pref panes are just interfaces for the preference plist files, and that removing them has the exact same effect as removing the editing program for a file. Sure you can't edit it, but any other app can still read the file as needed.