Waiting for a Mac Mini

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Oh my... I ordered a BTO Mac Mini back in January, and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I was told "3 to 4 weeks" by the reseller, and I'm still waiting seven weeks on.

The wait is excruciating! I've already bought the flat panel monitor and speakers to go with it, but they've been sitting on the desk for weeks now just waiting... waiting... waiting.

Has anyone else in Canada ordered a BTO Mac Mini, and if you did, how long did you wait/have you been waiting for it to turn up? Did you order it direct from Apple or through a reseller?

Apologies for the rant, but for the last three weeks I've been hoping for a phone call at work to tell me it's arrived!

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel

P.S. I ordered it with a BT mouse and keyboard - a silly question, but how do you pair them to the computer initially? Do you need a regular mouse and keyboard to do that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Put an eMac in a trash compactor until it arrives...

• Reply 2 of 25
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vana Nisitor

Put an eMac in a trash compactor until it arrives...

hey no....! poor eMac...

you must be the evil version of MajorKira from that evil parallel universe in DS9
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arnel

Oh my... I ordered a BTO Mac Mini back in January, and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I was told "3 to 4 weeks" by the reseller, and I'm still waiting seven weeks on.

The wait is excruciating! I've already bought the flat panel monitor and speakers to go with it, but they've been sitting on the desk for weeks now just waiting... waiting... waiting.

Has anyone else in Canada ordered a BTO Mac Mini, and if you did, how long did you wait/have you been waiting for it to turn up? Did you order it direct from Apple or through a reseller?

Apologies for the rant, but for the last three weeks I've been hoping for a phone call at work to tell me it's arrived!

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel

P.S. I ordered it with a BT mouse and keyboard - a silly question, but how do you pair them to the computer initially? Do you need a regular mouse and keyboard to do that?

dude, 7 weeks is ridiculous...

good point anyway with the BT mouse and keyboard... i've only really tried it with a PowerBook, i think it paired automatically just make shure keyboard and mouse have batteries in them and fully powered on and stuff and i think it should be sweet out-of-the-box (it will ask you to type some code thing that appears on-screen on your keyboard to verify pairing)
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hey no....! poor eMac...

you must be the evil version of MajorKira from that evil parallel universe in DS9

Bullseye!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

dude, 7 weeks is ridiculous...

good point anyway with the BT mouse and keyboard... i've only really tried it with a PowerBook, i think it paired automatically just make shure keyboard and mouse have batteries in them and fully powered on and stuff and i think it should be sweet out-of-the-box (it will ask you to type some code thing that appears on-screen on your keyboard to verify pairing)

It was not a problem to mate the keyboard with the Mac mini. I don't remember in detail, but you turn on the mini, it sees the mouse, and then asks for a keyboard. You have to enter a number on the keyboard, and then it works. I did not need a wired mouse or keyboard to set it up. Works really nice. Apple style.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Eight weeks now... still waiting. Reseller isn't being very helpful.

On the positive side, I might be eligable for a cheap upgrade to 10.4 Tiger when it arrives. Although given the way it's going, I might be trying to get one for 10.5 by the time the Mini turns up...

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 7 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    That's terrible. I ordered a mini on 3/3 and it arrived 3/21.

Apple really screws over its resellers. You try to do a good thing but it just bites you in the ass.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I ordered one in January and he had it like 4 days later. I can't imagine waiting two weeks. I am a person who has a really hard time waiting for computer stuff once I have ordered it.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Eight weeks now... still waiting. Reseller isn't being very helpful.

On the positive side, I might be eligable for a cheap upgrade to 10.4 Tiger when it arrives. Although given the way it's going, I might be trying to get one for 10.5 by the time the Mini turns up...

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel

dude, i think that's just not on. 8 weeks

i say you may need to take a stand, cancel your order, and at this stage might as well wait till you know Tiger 10.4 is going to be in-the-box with your Mini (probably 2 months from now)
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Well, it's ten weeks this week, and still no Mac Mini. I keep getting fobbed off when I go in and ask about what's happening with the order. On Saturday the guy there told me "nobody in the world has received a CTO Mac Mini yet", which is obviously a downright lie. As you can kind of expect, I'm not too happy.

Now when I ordered the Mini in January I put down a 10% deposit on it, which I was told was non-refundable. But then they also told me it would be three to four weeks. I'm gonna cancel the order and ask for my money back, but I'm fully expecting them to try and screw me over with regards to the deposit. Any advice? The reseller is in Canada, in case anyone starts quoting laws or lack thereof

Neil

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

......fully expecting them to try and screw me over with regards to the deposit. Any advice? The reseller is in Canada, in case anyone starts quoting laws or lack thereof

Neil

a.k.a. Arnel

yo neil, maybe check with your local/state/federal "fair trading" or "better business bureau"?

you canadians probably have some decent policies in place and a web site and stuff for consumers like yourself to protect your rights...! (well, to read up on them anyway to start with...)
  • Reply 12 of 25
    So I go into the resellers today, ready to ask for my order to be cancelled, when I find it got shipped from China two days ago! Hurrah!!!! I should finally get it next week!

I've gotta say though, I'd been building the courage to be Mr. Nasty Customer if needed for the last few days (I'm English, it doesn't come naturally!), so it kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit!!! <chuckle>

Neil.

a.k.a. Relieved Arnel
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Awesome. It's a nice little machine.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I've gotta say though, I'd been building the courage to be Mr. Nasty Customer if needed for the last few days (I'm English, it doesn't come naturally!), so it kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit!!! <chuckle>

I think that IF tiger is announced in the next week, you should go to the store and ask for a copy: I mean I ordered in March and got it two weeks later, three months is rediculus.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    crccrc Posts: 8member
    I'm in the same boat... I ordered 3 weeks ago, and I've been told to expect to wait another 4....

I'm seriously considering cancelling the order, as a 7 week wait is just not good enough service from any company.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I don't think anyone could blame you. Two months is absurd.

Sadly, it's that kind of service from Apple that has my department phasing them out completely.

There's just no competition when bulk orders of Macs take 3-4 months to get to you and Dell will get you new machines cheaper and in 2-3 weeks.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    What annoys me the most is that this is my first Apple machine I have ever ordered. I thought I'd try something different than the normal wintel machines - and although I can do pretty much everything I want on wintel machines, I wanted to try something different...

For a first time customer, seeing how lax their service is, leaves a huge doubt in my mind as to if I could ever recommend them to anyone else. The ordering is easy - but you'll have to wait forever for the actual hardware...

EDIT: Is this "service" from Apple normal?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRC

What annoys me the most is that this is my first Apple machine I have ever ordered. I thought I'd try something different than the normal wintel machines - and although I can do pretty much everything I want on wintel machines, I wanted to try something different...

For a first time customer, seeing how lax their service is, leaves a huge doubt in my mind as to if I could ever recommend them to anyone else. The ordering is easy - but you'll have to wait forever for the actual hardware...

EDIT: Is this "service" from Apple normal?

this area is unfortunately Apple's achilles heel. But I am confident when you do get the machine though you will not regret trying the Mac out.

probably the best approach is never order from anywhere that anticipates more than 2 weeks. after 2 weeks, if still nothing in sight, cancel and shop around to where they have it in stock. your local AppleStore, local Apple authorized dealer, or online including places like macmall.com

i love apple, but their managing of meeting demand is IMO one of the worst aspects of their operations. again though, you won't regret it once you actually fire up that baby.

edit: in australia, for example, i've learnt to only put down any sort of deposit if the time window is either the machine is in stock there or just 'a few days away'... my obvious eagerness as well encourages the sales people to work with what stock they have to meet my needs, so i'm not left waiting weeks and weeks for something to arrive.

do you have a DVI-capable monitor ready to go?? if it's an LCD, VGA won't do the Mac Mini justice
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Yeah - I've got everything ready to go that I'm actually using on a PC...

20" LCD that runs 1600x1200 (which will be what the mini will be running if it supports that high) that has a DVI input and logitech wireless keyb + mouse - the one thing I have to work out is converting PS2 keyb -> USB, however I've found a cable adapter that is supposed to convert both PS2 mouse and keyb to USB...

I ordered from apple.com.au - as they stated 1-2 weeks originally, now it says 3-4 weeks with the options I've ordered - but looks like I'll still be waiting 7+... Might call them up and pay them a little abuse and see what happens - as I called them the day before the order and was assured that I wouldn't be waiting more than 2 weeks...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by CRC

20" LCD that runs 1600x1200 (which will be what the mini will be running if it supports that high) that has a DVI input...

dude, sweet. mac mini on DVI is spec-ed to handle up to 1920x1200... as you're not familiar with apple you might be skeptical if apple will meet its promise in this regard, but i think it should handle your DVI LCD at 1600x1200 okay

when you get the mini all the best