Universal volume adjustment?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there a way (inside iTunes or through a script or another program?) to equalize the volume of ALL songs after they've been brought into iTunes? Some of mine have to go up, some down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sasa

Is there a way (inside iTunes or through a script or another program?) to equalize the volume of ALL songs after they've been brought into iTunes? Some of mine have to go up, some down.

Sound Check in iTunes->Prefs->Audio

--B
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Sound Check in iTunes->Prefs->Audio

--B

OK...I've got that checked and it seems to work in iTunes - sorta - but it doesn't seem to apply to the same songs once they've been moved onto an iPod. Is there a way to do this permanently?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sasa

OK...I've got that checked and it seems to work in iTunes - sorta - but it doesn't seem to apply to the same songs once they've been moved onto an iPod. Is there a way to do this permanently?

there's also a sound check feature on the ipod. no. as far as i know there is no way to actually change the files to have a different volume.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Audio Hijack records the audio output as it's coming out of any program, and it does so at the volume level of the hijacked program. But you'd have to hijack the file as it's being played, then convert it back from AIFF to mp3 or AAC again. I don't know what this does to the quality of the track, though.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There's no automated way outside of Sound Check in iTunes and the iPod (which quiets the louder songs because the quiet ones would get distorted and blown out the other way), but there is also the setting for volume adjustment in iTunes. I don't know if the iPod respects this, though I suspect it does.

Get Info on the track or tracks in question and look for the "Volume Adjustment" slider either in the Options tab if you have only one track picked, or at the bottom left of the window if you have several tracks picked. A little bit goes a long way, so be careful not to slap on earphones without checking how loud the adjusted volume sounds. Also, like I said about Sound Check, if you raise the volume of the quiet tracks too much, it will distort and degrade the sound.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    iPodLounge.com has scripts that will do this.