12-inch PowerBook + 20-inch Cinema or 15-inch PowerBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello. I would like one's opinion on the following setup. The advantages and disadvantages of:

1) 12-inch PowerBook + 20-inch Cinema

2) 15-inch PowerBook

I am about to purchase one of the above setup next week, but I'm having problems in deciding. Are there pros and cons of the above setups (other than the price)? It will mostly be used at home for the Internet, E-mail, and some office work and graduate studies stuff. Portability may only be required ocassionally, but mostly the computer will stay at home.

Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Well, obviously that 20 inch ACD will blow away the 15 inch display on the Powerbook. For that reason, I would recommend the 12 inch Powerbook and 20 inch ACD. I have the same setup.

The only drawbacks? You're limited to 1.25GB of memory with the 12-inch, no Firewire 800, and no gigabit ethernet. However, I do not need those features. For me, the portability of the 12-inch, and the breathtaking 20 inch display is the ideal solution.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Seems like a pretty easy choice here. I echo everything ibook911 said.

I also have a similar setup, with a 12" PB and a Dell 2005fpw 20" Widescreen LCD.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Another vote for the 12" and 20" combo. I have the same setup! It is great while at home, and then the convenience factor of taking the little 12" out and about is just awesome! I use my PB for digital photography, as well as some school stuff and some work stuff. It holds its own, though I may upgrade the HD to a 60GB 7200 RPM drive to help speed things up! I do have 768MB of ram, though I may have to upgrade that as well. At any rate, it is a good setup!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    If it is going to be at home the vast majority of the time, why not buy a mac mini and the 20 inch display? You would save a lot of money and still be as portable, at least for moving it around.

I personally would get the 20 inch iMac however. Much faster processor, much faster system, its all-in-one and you would still save big bucks!!

Just my opinion. (- :
  • Reply 5 of 19
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    if its portability you need, go for the powerbook and 20" combo.

The Powerbook is not perceptibly slower than the iMac in most real world uses.

The 12" is also specwise, competitive to the 15" so you aren't sacrificing anything beyond lofty ram limits and the backlit keyboard.

I run a similar solution, and have done so since my first 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The pb+display combo has a nice advantage in that when editing media, you can have the target (photo or video, timeline) on the big screen and tons of tools on the 12 inch-er
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Is it also fair to say that a 12-inch PowerBook and a ACD or a LCD display would be a better buy than a 15-inch PowerBook, given that the prices for both setups are the same/similar?

It's such a hard choice for me here cos I'm currently looking at the price for the 12-inch SuperDrive, which is approx. USD300 cheaper than the 15-inch Combo. If I go with the 12-inch SuperDrive, down the road I would eventually purchase a ACD or a LCD display. However, if I were to purchase a 15-inch Combo, I will be looking for an external dual-layer DVD+/-RW writer from LaCie. Sigh...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Have you thought about buying a 20in iMac and a 12in iBook instead, it would only be about $100USD more than a 12in SuperDrive PB with a 20in Cinema Display?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

Have you thought about buying a 20in iMac and a 12in iBook instead, it would only be about $100USD more than a 12in SuperDrive PB with a 20in Cinema Display?

I've never thought of. You're right! Maybe I should get an iMac and an iBook instead. A 17-inch iMac with a 12-inch iBook could be a great combination!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    1) 12-inch PowerBook + 20-inch Cinema
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I just did the full meal deal - and if the 12 had all the same features as the 15 - I would of done that - But I wanted no limits this time.

And I do plan on bringing it with to Europe shortly

1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM dual

1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x512 SO-DIMMs

100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

AirPort Extreme Card

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)

Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard

Custom travel cases - wheeled backpack - telescopic handle

Epson Stylus CX4600 Photo Printer, Copier, Scanner

Canon i9900 color printer

Iv'e done some display 11 x 17 framed under glass composites(6shots)on one image - of a trip to the cabin with my friends Folks. The next week - Their folks had a birthday.

So I threw together some shots off the Canon G5 and when it was presented at their birthday dinner - they were shocked at the high quality as I was also. The Canon i9900 is the greatest thing I have ever purchased.

They could not believe it could be done unless at a procolor processing house.

I haven't got around to unboxing the Epson - so this is slightly biased - maybe not.

Oh - My Apple's Lighted keyboard - to die for - no more getting up to turn on the lights when My Son signs in from Germany.

I used to use the USB flex lights - bad Idea - too much activity on the port.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I switched from a newest model 15" Powerbook to a 12" iBook, and plan on getting a 24" Dell to go with it. It's pretty obvious which one of your choices I would prefer
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I switched from a newest model 15" Powerbook to a 12" iBook, and plan on getting a 24" Dell to go with it. It's pretty obvious which one of your choices I would prefer

You're going to have a rough time powering the 24" Dell display with the iBook. I guess you're using the hack to take it above 1024x768? It still cuts your VRAM in half.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

You're going to have a rough time powering the 24" Dell display with the iBook. I guess you're using the hack to take it above 1024x768? It still cuts your VRAM in half.

I now have a 19" CRT attached at 1600x1200, no problem. The Dell is 320 pixels wider... I doubt it's a big deal.

BTW, I was just given World of Warcraft as a present, and only have the iBook to play it with... now that might be a problem

And of course HD video won't run with the iBook.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I now have a 19" CRT attached at 1600x1200, no problem. The Dell is 320 pixels wider... I doubt it's a big deal.

BTW, I was just given World of Warcraft as a present, and only have the iBook to play it with... now that might be a problem

And of course HD video won't run with the iBook.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the hack. The VRAM is a bit annoying though. When I had my iBook, it worked great with the external monitor, I just always wished it didn't cut the VRAM in half.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Philscbx

I just did the full meal deal - and if the 12 had all the same features as the 15 - I would of done that - But I wanted no limits this time.

And I do plan on bringing it with to Europe shortly

1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM dual

1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x512 SO-DIMMs

100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

AirPort Extreme Card

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)

Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard

Custom travel cases - wheeled backpack - telescopic handle

Epson Stylus CX4600 Photo Printer, Copier, Scanner

Canon i9900 color printer

Iv'e done some display 11 x 17 framed under glass composites(6shots)on one image - of a trip to the cabin with my friends Folks. The next week - Their folks had a birthday.

So I threw together some shots off the Canon G5 and when it was presented at their birthday dinner - they were shocked at the high quality as I was also. The Canon i9900 is the greatest thing I have ever purchased.

They could not believe it could be done unless at a procolor processing house.

I haven't got around to unboxing the Epson - so this is slightly biased - maybe not.

Oh - My Apple's Lighted keyboard - to die for - no more getting up to turn on the lights when My Son signs in from Germany.

I used to use the USB flex lights - bad Idea - too much activity on the port.

If I had the money, for sure I'll order the ultimate 15-inch! But for the time being, I think I'll settle for the 15-inch over the 12-inch + 20-inch Cinema. The 15-inch screen is simply irresistible! I think I can handle the additional pound for travel...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

If I had the money, for sure I'll order the ultimate 15-inch! But for the time being, I think I'll settle for the 15-inch over the 12-inch + 20-inch Cinema. The 15-inch screen is simply irresistible! I think I can handle the additional pound for travel...

In this case, it's not the weight that counts. At least for me, the difference between the size of 15" and 12" decides whether it's comfortable to use in an airplane or train seat. The size also has a lot to do with whether the computer fits in a bag. I could cart the 12" in a hip bag or messenger bag, the 15" I would not carry other than in a backpack.

I do recognize that laptop size is a very personal thing. One friend of mine who is close to 2m tall, always carries a hip bag large enough to fit the 15" anyway, and he is really too big to open a laptop while seated in a transport. Obviously smaller size wouldn't matter to him.

If 15" screen is irresistible, where does that place 20"...

1280 * 854 = 1093120

1680 * 1080 = 1814400

1024 * 768 = 786432

1814400 + 786432 = 2600832

The 12" + 20" solution gives you 2.4 times the space.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

In this case, it's not the weight that counts. At least for me, the difference between the size of 15" and 12" decides whether it's comfortable to use in an airplane or train seat. The size also has a lot to do with whether the computer fits in a bag. I could cart the 12" in a hip bag or messenger bag, the 15" I would not carry other than in a backpack.

I do recognize that laptop size is a very personal thing. One friend of mine who is close to 2m tall, always carries a hip bag large enough to fit the 15" anyway, and he is really too big to open a laptop while seated in a transport. Obviously smaller size wouldn't matter to him.

If 15" screen is irresistible, where does that place 20"...

1280 * 854 = 1093120

1680 * 1080 = 1814400

1024 * 768 = 786432

1814400 + 786432 = 2600832

The 12" + 20" solution gives you 2.4 times the space.

I was referring the option of the 15-inch's portability and wide-screen on the go over the 12-inch. That said, for home use, a 12-inch and a 20-inch Cinema would be the preferred choice. I hate decisions...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Since you're not planning on doing portable computing, I'd definitely go with the 15". I'd also forget the Apple display and buy a Dell 2005FPW when it's on sale for under $500. IMO, except for the 12"'s better portability, I feel the 15" is just a superior machine. Unfortunately, it's also more expensive.

The 15" with an external FPD is a great setup. I'm presently using a Formac 20" (4:3 ratio) with my TiBook 867 and really like dual screens.