Shake's new enemy. Autodesk Toxik

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www4.discreet.com/toxik/

Quote:

Designed for real-time interaction, whether playing back files or manipulating a multi-layered 21K background plate in real-time, Toxik offers film compositors the freedom to experiment. It offers the ability to try new techniques and visualize the results immediately, and ultimately the freedom to be more creative.

Damn.

Quote:

Created for multi-user collaboration, Toxik integrates a powerful Oracle® relational database at its core that ensures constant synchronization between all systems. Artists, technical directors and visual effects supervisors can open and review the compositions other artists are working on. Versions are tracked automatically and compositions can be created on multiple systems while simultaneously being linked together for centralized review and rendering. With Toxik the entire facility can stay in synch.

Oracle at the core and SAN like features. What a cool sounding toy.

But it'll cost you.

$6500 per seat. Minumum 5 seats and a $2500 annual maintenence agreement. WOW.

I could see Apple with something that does %75 of this for a third the cost in 5 years. But this thing must be a site to behold in action. A 21k file is huge and working on that in realtime is mind boggling. NAB 2005 here we come!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No sh*t. I was expecting Shake 4 at NAB, but this might claim top dog this year. We'll have to see what Apple has been up to before retreating in defeat.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Since it's AutoDesk, I'm just going to assume it sucks droopy donkey doodles like everything else they've eaten and pooped out until someone proves otherwise to me.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I am going to assume the 21K file is a typo...

2K seems more realistic...

Maybe 4K in the future, but 2K seems to be the average film plate size these days...

Correct me if I am wrong...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Can anyone find some hardware requirements on that site? I sure couldn't.

(And is it just me, or did anyone else see the title and wonder if mc chris was going to voice the new ATHF character? I mean come on, it even *sounds* like an ATHF character... 'Autodesk Toxik, robotic office furniture from the waste dumps of the fuuuuuutuuuuure...' )
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I am going to assume the 21K file is a typo...

2K seems more realistic...

Maybe 4K in the future, but 2K seems to be the average film plate size these days...

Correct me if I am wrong...

Nope

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4798

Quote:

At the heart of Toxik is an Oracle relational database, which holds all of the media for a project and ensures that all client systems are completely synchronized and have immediate, up-to-date access to all data ? with version management controls included. The system can work with the highest resolution image sequences, including 2K, 4K, 6K and even 21K.

Obviously we don't have the current computer hardware to work in 21k but the software supports it now. Kinda of like 64bit support in computers for memory. I don't think I'll be buying 16 exabytes of memory anytime soon.

The interesting part is that Apple has all the ingredients they need to accomplish the same thing. Filemaker Database as the core, SAN technology, XGRID(Qmaster) and more. I can see Shake 5 offering a workflow like this. I guess we'll know in a little over 2 weeks what direction Shake is headed in.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    21K is not a typo.

They're using proxy-based caching and level-of-detail support to get 21K in real-time.

In other words, if you're zoomed out on a 21K image, you can't see all the details, so why calculate them? Then as you zoom in, you are cropping part of the picture, so in that sense it does act like the DOD feature in Shake.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    What the ffff is 21K? For digital still photography, what?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I don't think I'll be buying 16 exabytes of memory anytime soon.

Not at Apple prices, anyhow