iTunes & iPhoto = iPod photo a terrible companion

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It has been a while since I have started up a thread voicing my opinion on anything so I decided to type something up tonight.

My father has an iPod photo and while he is happy with it, we have both noticed it is not as intuitive as it should be.

Does anyone else agree that the iPod should show up in iPhoto just as it does in iTunes? And just be able to drag photo libraries the same way you drag playlists in iTunes?

The iPod photo came out before iLife 5 (correct me if I'm wrong) but this should have been done in this update. Having to use the iTunes preferences is a very crippled way to add photos to the iPod. Integrating it into iPhoto would be the easiest and most logical.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Just my 2¢

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    You are absolutely correct. But implementing iPod photo management features into iPhoto would require Apple to port iPhoto to Windows or market the iPod photo as Mac-only, neither of which is ideal from Apple's standpoint. So there you have it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    well all you have to do is go into itunes, set the ipod photo to auto-update with iPhoto, then just use iPhoto to manage pics. You should only have to go into those iTunes prefs once.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

It has been a while since I have started up a thread voicing my opinion on anything so I decided to type something up tonight.

My father has an iPod photo and while he is happy with it, we have both noticed it is not as intuitive as it should be.

Does anyone else agree that the iPod should show up in iPhoto just as it does in iTunes? And just be able to drag photo libraries the same way you drag playlists in iTunes?

The iPod photo came out before iLife 5 (correct me if I'm wrong) but this should have been done in this update. Having to use the iTunes preferences is a very crippled way to add photos to the iPod. Integrating it into iPhoto would be the easiest and most logical.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Just my 2¢

I do not own an iPod Photo yet. But there are plans

From an aesthetic point of view this situation gives me the creeps.

I hope Apple will address this ... er ... issue. This situation

is unbearable, really. Let's face it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well all you have to do is go into itunes, set the ipod photo to auto-update with iPhoto, then just use iPhoto to manage pics. You should only have to go into those iTunes prefs once.

And if I would rather just have specific pictures/new libraries on the iPod photo.....it would be a pain to manage. I know I would not want all of my pictures on my iPod. It is just a very un-Apple like feature being that everything else they do is so hardware/software integrated so wonderfully.

Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

You are absolutely correct. But implementing iPod photo management features into iPhoto would require Apple to port iPhoto to Windows or market the iPod photo as Mac-only, neither of which is ideal from Apple's standpoint. So there you have it.

Who said by going this route Apple have to port anything? Windows users would have to manage their pictures the hard way and they would see that it is much easier to load pictures on a Macintosh and thus a sales opportunity. Much more logical all around. So there you have it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Who said by going this route Apple have to port anything? Windows users would have to manage their pictures the hard way and they would see that it is much easier to load pictures on a Macintosh and thus a sales opportunity. Much more logical all around. So there you have it.

Developing cross-platform software is difficult enough without having to worry about maintaining and updating code sets that vary from platform to platform. This, by the way, is largely why you won't be seeing Adobe take advantage of Tiger's Core Image technology anytime soon... and why Photoshop's arcane, proprietary memory management routines remain in place even though OS X renders them unnecessary.

I understand completely where you are coming from, but your request is just not going to come to fruition anytime soon, if ever.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Developing cross-platform software is difficult enough without having to worry about maintaining and updating code sets that vary from platform to platform. This, by the way, is largely why you won't be seeing Adobe take advantage of Tiger's Core Image technology anytime soon... and why Photoshop's arcane, proprietary memory management routines remain in place even though OS X renders them unnecessary.

I understand completely where you are coming from, but your request is just not going to come to fruition anytime soon, if ever.

You really seem stuck on the fact that Apple would have to develop iPhoto for Windows in order to make the iPod photo/iPhoto integration complete. I am suggesting they do completely the opposite for a sales opportunity. CoreImage and Adobe has nothing to do with this thread so I am not sure why you are even going there. Apple has been very good at intergrating all of their hardware and software together up to this point. Heck, look at the iSight. Windows users can use it, but does or will Apple develop iChat for Windows? Nope.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So, you basically want them to say 'tough' to the largest segment of customers on the hottest product they (or anyone else) has had in years?

I'm sorry, but that just sounds foolish even at a first approximation.

Windows users are looking at the Mac because Apple makes the iPod/iTunes/iTMS experience *as good as possible*. They see that, go 'holy cow, I wonder what else they have that's this good?', and look at the Mac.

Undercut that, and they'll *NEVER* look at other Apple products.

Bad idea, plain and simple.