Office 2004 - Is it stabe yet?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A received Office 2004 as a gift from a friend. I already had Office X. I remember hearing a lot about stability/bug issues when 2004 was released. Have those been resolved? Should I stick with Office X, or have the bugs been worked out of v. 2004 with the latest MS update?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    We have 30 people using Office 2004 and not a problem so far.

(Cept powerpoint but thats such a shit program in comparrison with Word or Excel).

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    It's much better.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

It's much better.

Which is much better? 2004?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

A received Office 2004 as a gift from a friend. I already had Office X. I remember hearing a lot about stability/bug issues when 2004 was released. Have those been resolved? Should I stick with Office X, or have the bugs been worked out of v. 2004 with the latest MS update?

Be sure to install the Service Pack 1, it irons out a few things. Compared to Office X the 2004 versions feels like a different product altogether.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Yes. Sorry. The fixes in 2004 are useful: clicking on graphics placeholders doesn't make the the thing crash anymore, long documents are quicker to scroll through, stuff like that.

It's still very, very annoying, mind.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I upgraded from Microsoft Word 5.1 (©1992) to Office 2004 this month. Quite the upgrade if I do say so myself. While it does seem sluggish at times, it hasn't crashed on me yet. I also turned off most of the bells & whistles on my laptop but my G5 has them on.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    koyikoyi Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

We have 30 people using Office 2004 and not a problem so far.

(Cept powerpoint but thats such a shit program in comparrison with Word or Excel).

Dobby.

How shit is Power Point? I am thinking of purchasing Office 2004 recently and I think I may use Power Point quite often...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i dunno how advanced your powerpoint needs are, but I use it almost every day and its never let me down.

Sometimes if you have some really complex embedded "MS Project" with "MS Excel" and stuff it'll display but you can't modify, etc if it came from a PC.

I'm very very happy with MS Office for OSX. The MacBU at MicroSloth is really top notch.

Now then, if they'd just f@%#! put MSN Messenger on par with the PC version. Grrr.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Now then, if they'd just f@%#! put MSN Messenger on par with the PC version. Grrr.

Just drop MSN Messenger onto the trashbin in the dock. This will improove your system vastly!

Afterwards Google for AdiumX http://www.google.com/search?q=AdiumX
  • Reply 10 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

I just do work with "ms word". It is pretty good - a little

bit bloated, but you can personalize a lot.

No other "Text" app comes even close to

MS Word. It is a class of its own.

Stability? Much improved compared to versions prior

to "2004". Actually, i didn't count a single crash since

Dec 2004.

I have no experience with the other "Office" components.

(I have no use for them). And this is the most annoying part

of this "Office" offering. I just need "Word" and i have to

buy a complete "Office suite". This part sucks a lot.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Just drop MSN Messenger onto the trashbin in the dock. This will improove your system vastly!

Thanks for the suggestion, but why would putting Messenger in the bin help performance?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Thanks for the suggestion, but why would putting Messenger in the bin help performance?

I guess this remains one of the unsolved miracles

of today.

Good night
  • Reply 13 of 20
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Are you serious or is this a joke. I'll try it anyway becuase i use adium anyway
  • Reply 14 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    open source will never be fully compatible with Monopolysoft. Stop making silly suggestions. What I want to know is: is the 11.1.1 update stable? I have 11.1 running fine now.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by koyi

How shit is Power Point? I am thinking of purchasing Office 2004 recently and I think I may use Power Point quite often...

Dude, if you're going to buy Office for PowerPoint, I would strongly recommend Keynote 2, which is part of iWork for $79. It blows PowerPoint out of the water.

As far as a Word alternative, I guess you could try Pages, though for word processing I prefer Nisus Writer Express from nisus.com.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Are you serious or is this a joke. I'll try it anyway becuase i use adium anyway

it's a joke
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

open source will never be fully compatible with Monopolysoft. Stop making silly suggestions. What I want to know is: is the 11.1.1 update stable? I have 11.1 running fine now.

Stable.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    koyikoyi Posts: 22member
    Ok one last question from me. Will it be too heavy for an iBook G4 800Mhz with 384MB of RAM?

And what about the compability with the office in the windows world?

Oooppss, did I ask two questions? :P
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by koyi

Ok one last question from me. Will it be too heavy for an iBook G4 800Mhz with 384MB of RAM?

And what about the compability with the office in the windows world?

Oooppss, did I ask two questions? :P

My PB did not ick up weight with the Office 2004 install and not with any of the patches ;-)

Back to facts: it will run, but you'll have to switch of some of the automatic suff such as spellcheck as you type ...

Compatibility: good except if someone uses Windows.only apps in OLE embedding.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

It's easier and saves you time if you uncheck Messenger at the start of the install Adium rocks too!

Still a few bugs in Word, I mainly had it crashing when I wanted to make a style I made available to all my Word docs. It took a while but I think I got there.

PS Actually saying that, does anyone know how I can back this up? It says it goes in the Normal template, I assume this is a blank document or something? I don't want all the hassle of setting my styles up again when I erase & install for Tiger.

edit: Just found a file named "Normal" in the Microsoft User Data folder, it says it's a Word template, so I guess this is it.