Ready for the onslaught....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I posted this in the predictions thread. You can't respond there...

...so what about here. Obviously I'm nost stating that this is gospel, or anything like it, but I'd like to know what you think. Be gentle please.

iMac

Two models (differing only with drive, like the iBook with a BTO at Apple Store)

G4 processor at 800Mhz

New graphics card (don't ask me what)

TiPowerbook LCD screen (widescreen anyway)

128MB RAM

30GB Hard drive

ENTRY LEVEL: CDRW

TOP LEVEL: Combo drive

BTO: Super drive and 256MB RAM (plus obvious RAM and hard drive size increases, if you wish)

Brand new cordless keyboard and mouse, work off Airport as Airport card now comes as standard.

THIS IS APPLE'S REVOLUTIONARY PRODUCT

New G5 Powermacs

Same case and pretty much everything really, only now we have G5 processors running at

1.0Ghz

1.1Ghz (Dual)

1.2Ghz

Also use new keyboards and mice

Software:

Appleworks 7

iPicture 1.0 (but no matching product, like iTunes and iPod)

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: mpw_amherst ]

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: mpw_amherst ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    uhhh... posted what?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    OK, I'd also like to qualify my earlier predictions...

Unfortunately with AI off for so long I can't refer back to my earliest post about my use of Macs then PCs and a return to Macs. However, I'd like to explain why I think Apple HAVE to release G4s and G5s at MWSF. Apple are already in trouble with investors because of raising expectations (unrealistically?) about Cube sales and they will repeat the same mistake if they're not careful. This is how I see it, if the new iMac is released with an LCD but still a G3, then so what? I'm sure the new iMac is the revolutionary new product and if it isn't, there's nothing REALLY that special about a G3 iMac with and LCD. I realise it will look fanstastic, its a Mac after all, but revolutionary? Enough to boost flagging iMac sales in the long term? Personally (as someone ready to buy a new iMac) I don't care if its G3 or G4 - what I do want is a widescreen system and a superdrive but in an all-in-one system. However, to make this revised iMac sell it needs a G4, otherwise Apple's value will plummet, because the market is expecting it to produce a big jump in the whole iMac concept. Therefore, if the new iMac is G4 then the PowerMac MUST got G5, because I don't think Apple will release a G4 iMac slower than its G3 predecessor, but equally, I don't think the G4 will be fast enough for there to be a big enough differential between the PowerMac and iMac line if they both have G4s. This would not be a cocnern with the G5s, even if the top end iMac and bottom end iMac ran at the same Mhz (only, obviously, one at G4 the other at G5).

Being cynical (nee realistic) I probably agree with many of you who are going to say that there WON'T be G4 iMacs, let alone G5 systems. However, I'm simply stating that from an economic point of view (which I DO know about - I'm not as knowledgable as many of you on Macs, I'll admit - I just know more than the average user, thats all!) Apple need the new iMac to be a leap and that means leaving the G3.

Mike
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tcotco Posts: 87member
    Hmm... 802.11 doesnt seem to be built for wireless peripherals at all. While its possible we'll see wireless peripherals, I dont expect to see any Airport involvement.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    crappy and wrong
  • Reply 5 of 12
    As I said, I don't know about the technical details - its not my area - while it clearly is some of yours. However, I would like your responses to my point about market expectations of Apple. They are in serious trouble if they disappoint the market.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by TCO:

<strong>Hmm... 802.11 doesnt seem to be built for wireless peripherals at all. While its possible we'll see wireless peripherals, I dont expect to see any Airport involvement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly, that'd be like using ethernet to hook up your peripherals. They'd need IP addresses, etc. Are there wireless keyboards with USB ports? If not, Apple won't use a wireless keyboard because that would take away a port.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    If they ever come out with wireless keyboards and mice I hope they come up with a powered system that you can plug them into when the battery drains down. The biggest thing I don't like about the current wireless devices is that I would have to change batteries and I don't believe any ports get power when the machine is off so they couldn't even charge it that way. Apple, using their own stuff, could pull this off though.

It would be a feature I would like to see.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>crappy and wrong</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL.....really, LOL.

seriously, my real problem with this is: [quote]New G5 Powermacs

Same case and pretty much everything really, only now we have G5 processors running at

1.0Ghz

1.1Ghz (Dual)

1.2Ghz

Also use new keyboards and mice <hr></blockquote>

Same "everything else"...WTF? Same HD's? Same Bus speed? Same SDRAM?

BWWWHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>crappy and wrong</strong><hr></blockquote>

So much for "being gentle"...

• Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

So much for "being gentle"...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, what is with the rough crownd here? Someone comes in, tries to be nice and wants to talk Macs, and becasue someone disagrees, the just use a bunch of and referr to them as "asshole" or "moron" or "dumb." Geez, can't we all just get along???
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]

iMac

Two models (differing only with drive, like the iBook with a BTO at Apple Store)

G4 processor at 800Mhz

New graphics card (don't ask me what)

TiPowerbook LCD screen (widescreen anyway)

128MB RAM

30GB Hard drive

ENTRY LEVEL: CDRW

TOP LEVEL: Combo drive

BTO: Super drive and 256MB RAM (plus obvious RAM and hard drive size increases, if you wish)[quote/]

Sounds reasonable. The Titanium display would not be used, since laptops usually have low-power displays that aren't as bright as desktop displays. Expect a better LCD display than the Titanium's, but alas, I doubt it will be widescreen. But if it were, that would rock!

G4 is likely, 800 MHz sounds a bit slow if all the rumors of G5s at 1 GHz + are true. If the iMac gets the Apollo G4, which I suspect it will, then expect 1 GHz or so.

[quote]Brand new cordless keyboard and mouse, work off Airport as Airport card now comes as standard.

THIS IS APPLE'S REVOLUTIONARY PRODUCT<hr></blockquote>

Cool and possible. The problem is what to do about power supply? If the keyboard and mouse are battery powered, then forget it, Apple won't do it on the iMac, at most it would be BTO on Powermacs. Can you imagine how many batteries that thing would go through?

[quote]New G5 Powermacs

1.0Ghz

1.1Ghz (Dual)

1.2Ghz

Also use new keyboards and mice[quote/]

Maybe. If this is the G4 Powermacs with Apollo, then these speeds are about right. Apollo is rumored to clock at 1.0, 1.133, and 1.266 with a 133 MHz bus. If the Powermacs are G5, then expect a faster bus and much higher clockspeeds, with a top end of 1.4-1.6.

[quote]Software:

Appleworks 7

iPicture 1.0 (but no matching product, like iTunes and iPod)<hr></blockquote>

No, iPicture would have a matching product--the iPod! It would synch with the iPod to download all the photos on the iPod, because the iPod will be updated so that one can dump photos onto it from a digital camera. This way there is essentially a 5 GB limit to how many digital photos one can take with their camera, instead of the flash RAM limits of hundreds of MB.

If Apple gives the iPod this sort of functionality, then they will fly off the shelves faster than Apple can make them....it would be revolutionary. iPhoto would be like iTunes: organize, catalog, and do simple editing on all your digital photos. Synchs with iPod to download all your digital photos.

If Apple did this with the iPod it would send shockwaves throughout the computer industry. Everyone with a digital camera would want an iPod, and Apple's market share would grow faster than an iPod user's hard on.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

Yeah, what is with the rough crownd here? Someone comes in, tries to be nice and wants to talk Macs, and becasue someone disagrees, the just use a bunch of and referr to them as "asshole" or "moron" or "dumb." Geez, can't we all just get along??? </strong><hr></blockquote>

sure we can get along, just not with jd, most of his pointless posts deserve a