Chicken Littles return to KFC under "Snacker" moniker

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Overzealous tipsters are rejoicing at the latest fast food phenomena. After a near six-year lull, KFC last month reincarnated the much-famed "Chicken Little" bite-sized sandwich, now dubbed the "Snacker." In an email to AppleInsider, KFC refused to divulge its secret Snacker recipe, making only the following statement: "KFC's DNA is taste, and protection of the coveted Snacker recipe is crucial to our success." But sources close to the fast food giant said the Snacker likely consists of a breaded and deep-fried all-white meat chicken strip, pepper-mayo sauce and romaine lettuce on a sesame seed bun.

"Snackers are fine ? they hit the bull's-eye for taste," wrote the Houston Chronicle's Ken Hoffman. They are "unmistakably KFC, with that distinctive aroma and flavor. [...] It takes just a few of them to cover the bull's-eye." Each Chicken Little...err... Snacker contains 320 calories, 16 grams of fat, 31 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of dietary fiber. But be forewarned, these bite size bandits are indeed tiny. Says the Palm Beach Post's Chris Tauber, "When I pulled out my KFC Snacker, I thought either I had grown to giant size or someone had pointed a shrinking ray at this sandwich. The bun is more like a dinner roll, with one (albeit superb) chicken strip laid on it like Manute Bol on a twin bed." According to KFC's Web site, the Snacker is available for a limited time and only at participating KFC restaurants.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Why thank you AppleInsider.

• Reply 2 of 13
    ctlirtctlirt Posts: 2member
    what the?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Notice the date on the article?

Though I don't understand why it appeared today. A CMS screw-up, methinks.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I'll pass until an iSnacker with a 2 song iTMS coupon is available.

Maybe Kasper's ghost is on the loose and wants to moderate for www.chickeninsider.com as well

Well, its certainly different!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Ok, just to cut through the speculation here, the Snacker is *nothing* like the Chicken Little. The Chicken Little was perhaps the greatest thing to ever come out of KFC, and contrary to the statement in this post, they haven't been gone for only 6 years. They've been inexplicably gone at least 10 years, and even longer in some areas of the country.

The Chicken Little was a lightly-breaded chicken patty surrounded by a small biscuit-like bun swiped with mayonnaise. They were 39 cents apiece and most people could eat 2-6 of them depending on hunger and cottonmouth levels.

The "Snacker", however, does not resemble the beloved Chicken Little in many ways at all. The only thing that's even slightly similar is that it's billed as a "smaller sandwich". The bun is a standard sesame seed dealio, the chicken is heavily breaded and oblong, and there's lettuce. Snackers are clearly *not* designed to be eaten in mass quantities. One or two is usually all people can take.

So to sum up, the Snacker is *not* the Chicken Little. Nothing will ever be the Chicken Little, and until the geniuses over at KFC decide to bring back our beloved 39 center, my boycott of the Colonel will remain in effect.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    WTF is with this stupid fad of self assigning a 'DNA' to your company? I presume they mean DNA in a scientific way and that it's not some management-speak acronym.

'KFCs DNA is Taste'

'Apples DNA is Innovation'

What a lot of marketeer-talk-wank.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The first time I heard the the "brand DNA" catch-phrase was several years ago in a Mazda press release. The topic was that the rotary was part of "brand DNA," and it was right before the RX-8 was released. In this case, it makes plenty of sense. But as usual, after a few years a good catch-phrase will get cannibalized by marketeers.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    again:

Has AI.com sunk so low as to need to direct market???

It is pathetic.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

again:

Has AI.com sunk so low as to need to direct market???

It is pathetic.

For those who don't know, someone on the AI staff was a big fan of chicken littles. There have been subtle clues to this, which observant folks have noted. No direct marketing, just a case of fan-boy-itis.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

For those who don't know, someone on the AI staff was a big fan of chicken littles. There have been subtle clues to this, which observant folks have noted. No direct marketing, just a case of fan-boy-itis.

I can't say I have ever heard of chicken littles before reading this "article"... so it may not be observant folks, it may just be being in the right forum at the right time...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

I can't say I have ever heard of chicken littles before reading this "article"... so it may not be observant folks, it may just be being in the right forum at the right time...

The title of the front page had something to do with Chiken Little for a while. This was a few months ago.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    eh?

what is this front page we speak of?

i haven't chosen to eat at a fast food restaraunt in almost four years; the last time i ate at one was on a road trip with my father and he was driving...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

eh?

what is this front page we speak of?

i haven't chosen to eat at a fast food restaraunt in almost four years; the last time i ate at one was on a road trip with my father and he was driving...

I wish I had your willpower!