Hey Londoners, Advise Please!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm traveling to London this summer for about 3 weeks, and I'm looking for a reasonable place for my wife and I to stay. Preferably, I'd like to split the difference between Euston Station and King's Cross (I suppose this means somewhere around Great Russell Square, but I may be wrong about this).

Here's the deal:

I can easily stay in the dorms at King's College down on Stamford Road (in Southwark between The Cut and the Imax theater *very* near Waterloo Station) for about £30 a night. The problem is that a) we have to have two rooms because the dorms are so small (you damned Europeans and your small living quarters!) and b) the dorms are unbelievably hot. So that's £60 a night for an uncomfortable room with a good local pub and really, really good proximity to most of the things I need (e.g. Waterloo station).

I'll be spending most of my time either at Guildhall (the St. James stop, I believe) or the British Library (either Euston or King's Cross, depending upon where I'm coming from), but we'll need to take a couple of short (2-day) trips to Oxford and Cambridge, so proximity to a serious train station would be a boon. But for the most part, I'll only need Zone 1.

We can manage around £100 a night. Air conditioning would be nice, but I realize it's London, so I'm not keeping my fingers crossed?and I'm praying there won't be another damnable heat wave. I also know that £100/night in Grt. Russell Square is likely impossible.

So. Any ideas? Anyone want to meet for a pint?

Cheers

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Scott,

There's a Hilday Inn in Coram Street, right near to Russle Square tube station. It's very convenient for Euston / Kings Cross, and some of the museums. I doubt it will be very cheap though, probably towards the £100 / night, but it could be worth checking them out.

King's College dorms on Stamford Street, eh? I'm quite familiar with that area, as I used to work in the building that is now the James Clerk Maxwell Building, before it became part of King's College .

As for meeting up for a pint, I might be up for that . I work in Southwark, so it's just down the road.

Hope that helps, but if there's anything else I can help with, let me know and I'll see what I can do .
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I'm not sure about hotel accommodation in this town as I have no experience of it but I'm certainly up for a pint. I'll try and be more helpful about the former by asking around.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

Scott,

There's a Hilday Inn in Coram Street, right near to Russle Square tube station. It's very convenient for Euston / Kings Cross, and some of the museums. I doubt it will be very cheap though, probably towards the £100 / night, but it could be worth checking them out.

King's College dorms on Stamford Street, eh? I'm quite familiar with that area, as I used to work in the building that is now the James Clerk Maxwell Building, before it became part of King's College .

As for meeting up for a pint, I might be up for that . I work in Southwark, so it's just down the road.

Hope that helps, but if there's anything else I can help with, let me know and I'll see what I can do .

Dave: It looks like that HI is about £120 a night for a double, which is a little pricey. I do like the location, though, so maybe the wife and I can scrounge up an extra £10 each a night...

And I know *exactly* where the JCMB. Never knew what it was, but I know where it is. The dorms I can stay at are the Stamford Street Apts.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Oh dear, I hadn't realised how much it was . I guess when we went it must have been on some kind of promotion.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Do you need room service? Had you considered a short term let? Gotta be less than £120 per night to rent an apartment for three weeks.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarathustra

Do you need room service? Had you considered a short term let? Gotta be less than £120 per night to rent an apartment for three weeks.

You know, I hadn't even thought about that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Not much too add except that I had a wonderful experience renting an apartment short term in Amsterdam and you absolutely must listen to the Kinks Waterloo Sunset before you go.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Damn...what I'm finding from a cursory look is more expensive than the dorms I could stay in. I'm going to talk to my University travel agency and see what they can come up with. To complicate all of this even more, we're in Limerick for a week somewhere in there, too.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Euston is my stamping ground - I work in the glass edifice above Euston Square - so I'll throw a few more accom options into the hat.

Ran a few quick rate checks on random summer dates to see price ranges. If you plan to stay for 3 weeks, you could try haggling for a better deal

Scruffy...

Travel Inn (I think) at Euston station - on the road up the side of the station - did have a big sign outside saying £50 a night. Looks a bit dingy though, and the back of Euston is not pretty. Good curry houses on Drummond St though (try Zamzama's lamb or chicken in a clay pot).

Travel Lodge at Kings Cross. Double room £65. Nice, clean looking hotel (friend stayed there at the weekend), but the area it's in is particularly rundown and filth. As is true of King's Cross in general.

Euston Square Hotel at Euston Square. Small rooms - even smaller then they look in the pics - but recently refurbished. £60 a night

Nice...

Grafton Hotel at the top of Tottenham Court Road. Plush. Double room £104 a night.

http://www.radisson.com/londonuk_grafton

Grange Fitzrovia - appears to be £105 a night for double ensuite

http://www.grangehotels.com/fitzrovia/fitzrovia.htm

Grange Langham Court - £95 for double ensuite. Probably a nicer area than the Fitzrovia one

http://www.grangehotels.com/langhamcourt/langham.htm

Ridiculous

Sanderson Hotel - starts at £270 a night (which is actually less than I expected). But worth going to for a cocktail to see the decor and for lush, but expensive dinner in their Spoon restaurant.

http://www.sandersonhotel.com

Various others here . Of unknown quality, but some interesting prices

So how well do you know London? If not well, I'm sure we can point you to some interesting beer/food/entertainment locations.

Hang loose

BNFB
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Woot! Thanks! I'll dig around and see what I can manage.

Quote:

So how well do you know London? If not well, I'm sure we can point you to some interesting beer/food/entertainment locations.

Fairly well, or at least well enough that when American tourists ask me for directions I have never failed to know the answer. This will be my third trip. The first was 5 weeks (just down from Sloane Square in between Fulham and the King's Road). The second was 4 (in Southwark down from Waterloo Station). This will be 3 (location TBA but I'll spend most of my time around Euston at the British Library). The problem is that I really don't know much about anything *but* London, although I've traveled around a bit. The bulk of my time is in the city.

On a related note, I was also able to refrain from killing an American tourist who, standing behind me across the street from Parliament right at the end of the bridge, pointed to the clocktower/Big Ben and said to his wife "Well look there, honey! It's the tower of London! I had no idea it was so close to Parliament!"

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Cheers

Scott