APRIL 29th!!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The wait will be over!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Not future hardware. Plenty of threads about Tiger.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    True, news release doesn't mention it. However, the Apple Store site is down. Maybe they are adding new configurations in it??

Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

• Reply 3 of 18
    beimacbeimac Posts: 26member
    And it is online again, Tiger release date confirmed to be the 29th.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Implications for future hardware, since what of todays machines can run core image?

Edit: Answered my own question.

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT

nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200

nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL
  • Reply 5 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Implications for future hardware, since what of todays machines can run core image?

Everything but the iBooks, right? (Apple's most popular model)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Everything but the iBooks, right? (Apple's most popular model)

Apple must be editing their website to include a bump to all models to handle core image.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

[/i]

Actually, all of today's machines can run Core Image - some just run it on the CPU rather than the GPU.

Yeah, yeah, but the whole point of Core Image is to offload processing to the GPU, isn't it? Not really. Core Image provides more than that, but offloading to the GPU is a nice feature for the CPU-cycle maximizers amongst us.

But I agree, it'd be nice if Apple would update all their machines so the GPUs could run Core Image. I'm hoping the next iBook update does - and SOON!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Anyone have speculation on why the Apple Store website is down??
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Spotted video conference requirements part way down spec page, looks like none of Apples Laptops will be able to initiate a multiway video conference in Tiger!!!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

As follows:

Video conferencing with iChat requires a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera and broadband Internet access. One-to-one video conferencing requires a G5, G4 or 600MHz or faster G3 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access. Initiating_a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor and_384-Kbps or faster broadband access. Participating in a multiway video conference and initiating a six-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4 or dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Not so. It says initiate, so a Powerbook could join a multiway video conference. Notice also it says a "dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor" so a faster single G4 should be fine - like in the current Powerbooks, iBooks etc.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    being picky, I did say initiate! Still seems like a major flaw to me if your top of the line pro laptop cannot start up a conference call with more than one person. I would have thought the main users would be execs on the move with laptops,,,
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Huge flaw. You can join in a conference but not start a conference?!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Initiating a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor

Singular. 1Ghz or faster. What's so difficult to understand?

If it were only for Dual G4s, it would read like this: dual 1GHz or faster G4 processors
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Singular. 1Ghz or faster. What's so difficult to understand?

If it were only for Dual G4s, it would read like this: dual 1GHz or faster G4 processors

From the spec:

Initiating_a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor .... initiating a six-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4 or dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor

If they state the single processor requirement for initiating the audio conference then why not the video? And, whay does it not say processors for the audio conference..
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Well they're not very clear about it. The should have just said:

"Initiating a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual G4 processors at 1Ghz or faster."

Would be simpler IMO.

Who's up for sending an email to clarify this?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple has two shows they are attending that new things could possibly emerge. The education expo thing could possibly see iBooks and eMacs, and NAB will probably have FCP-5, Shake-4, Motion-2 maybe.

Although I think this thread should be moved too. The date is nothing corresponding to hardware. It's a software announcement date.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Possibly should be moved. But, I was originally referencing April 29th not only for Tiger, but for hardware bumps. I was a little gunshy, but haven't been proved wrong as of yet. The apple store is still down. I'm assuming some sort of hardware bump for some of the products on April 29th.

Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Apple has two shows they are attending that new things could possibly emerge. The education expo thing could possibly see iBooks and eMacs, and NAB will probably have FCP-5, Shake-4, Motion-2 maybe.

Although I think this thread should be moved too. The date is nothing corresponding to hardware. It's a software announcement date.

• Reply 18 of 18
    Apple Store is reopened on the website. No known bumps are included...thread closed for me.