With Tiger's April Release...real powerbooks on hold?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since apple has released tiger this month, rather then attending macworld in july. Do you think they wanted to give some space, to introduce new powermacs/powerbooks in July's macworld. Or is the chance of updates now just pushed till the next macworld in fall?

I have been holding out on this stupid powerbook release for a long time already. I am going on a study abroad program overseas in May. You think its better to just buy a powerbook already once tiger come sout. OR should I wait and use a 400mghz ibook :-D.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

Since apple has released tiger this month, rather then attending macworld in july. Do you think they wanted to give some space, to introduce new powermacs/powerbooks in July's macworld.

The Powerbooks arent going to see an update for months and months yet,

maybe fall, maybe longer.

The Powermacs are due for an imminent update.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    If I was going to study abroad, in another country, including airplane flights, you can be sure I'd take a laptop I didn't care much about.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    buy an iBook G4 for 899 with edu discount...sell it when u get home...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    nuggetnugget Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

If I was going to study abroad, in another country, including airplane flights, you can be sure I'd take a laptop I didn't care much about.

My TiBook has flown over a quarter of a million miles in the two and a half years I've owned it. It's been crammed in overhead bins and in underseat storage. I sling it around in the trunk of my car all the time. It's survived both the Paris and Tokyo subways during rush hour. It's been plugged in to just about every combination of plug/voltage/hertz you can conceive. It's even spent more than a few nights in smokey Jazz clubs.

Through it all, it's held up like a champ. I'm typing on it right now. I'm much happier for having had a good machine with me during travel and it has never let me down. Heck, I didn't even buy Applecare on the thing.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

Since apple has released tiger this month, rather then attending macworld in july. Do you think they wanted to give some space, to introduce new powermacs/powerbooks in July's macworld.

Sorry, but I have given up hope for any spectacular PowerBook-release till Oct/Nov. Maybe we'll see another round of speed-bumps, but most likely not even that.

I see new iBooks coming in the next weeks - maybe it would be wiser to buy one of those as a tide-over till next year, since the current crop of PBs are overpriced, underspecced and equipped with an abysmal battery.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Sorry, but I have given up hope for any spectacular PowerBook-release till Oct/Nov. Maybe we'll see another round of speed-bumps, but most likely not even that.

I see new iBooks coming in the next weeks - maybe it would be wiser to buy one of those as a tide-over till next year, since the current crop of PBs are overpriced, underspecced and equipped with an abysmal battery.

i didnt find my powerbook overpriced, underspecced, or equipped with an abysmal battery. i get five hours on high settings. the price for it was reasonable when i compared it to other laptops and apple hardware. and i dont think its underspecced...it fits the needs of me and almost ever user...i cant even give an example of an application that wouldnt work well on a powerbook except for doom III...

oh hellll yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 100th post!!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    ineedag5pbnow, so when apple does finally release G5 PBs, will you change your login name to "ineedag6pbnow?"
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

ineedag5pbnow, so when apple does finally release G5 PBs, will you change your login name to "ineedag6pbnow?"

ur right...i only needed a G5 PowerBook from June 2004 to January 23, 2005 (my bday) or so... i buy a new computer every four years, if thats all right with you...being 15 i normally dont have that much money in my possession every year or so...so i guess i really dont need anything right now...except a wireless mouse and photoshop...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

i didnt find my powerbook overpriced, underspecced, or equipped with an abysmal battery. i get five hours on high settings. the price for it was reasonable when i compared it to other laptops and apple hardware. and i dont think its underspecced...it fits the needs of me and almost ever user...i cant even give an example of an application that wouldnt work well on a powerbook except for doom III...

oh hellll yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 100th post!!!!!!!

Though I agree with you on most of what you said, I'm going to have to call, ?over zealous? with your battery times. I have never gotten anywhere close to the five-hour time. 2hr 45min is my average and that?s with the screen dimmed to 50% and the DVD power scheme enabled.

Still waiting for my 7200 RPM HD BTO option!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nugget

My TiBook has flown over a quarter of a million miles in the two and a half years I've owned it. ...

You've been extremely fortunate. I've heard many horror stories - and on top of that, TSA's official policy is 'if we break your laptop, too bad'. TSA makes many demands but takes no responsibility. I have a Powerbook 3400C to take on trips, but I seldom take more than a paperback book.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    nuggetnugget Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

You've been extremely fortunate. I've heard many horror stories

I dunno. I've heard some horror stories, too (maybe even the same ones). They can be breathtaking, but not enough to make me forget that old axiom:

Quote:

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'

Nearly two million people fly every day in the US (700 million a year), many with laptops, and the vast majority have no problems at all. Think about how many horror stories you'd have to hear before it would comprise a significant or meaningful percentage of travellers.

People are naturally anxious about activities they don't often do, and air travel in particular poses a disquieting lack of control which many people find unsettling. It's not surprising that many have strong and vivid concerns about the safety of air travel, but I think by and large these fears are exaggerated and not really in line with the realities of the situation.

I routinely subject my powerbook to more abuse just trying to get from my desk to the conference room in the office than it has ever experienced riding through the little x-ray car wash at the airport.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

...real powerbooks on hold?

The real Powerbooks I am seeing are the ones that are selling now. Sorry to ruin speculation in this thread, but Apple re-iterated the known:

Quote:

- Q: Last conference call, mentioned that putting a G5 in a PowerBook would be a significant technical challenge. A: Still think it's the "mother of all" thermal challenges.

Next Powerbook will be 7448-based. The MPC7448 seems to be on schedule to ship this autumn (there even was a reference to it in the CHUD update recently removed by Apple).
  • Reply 13 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    "I'll buy that for a dollar"; as long as Apple dumps the aluminum housing they can throw whatever crap they have on the shelf in there and I?ll probably buy one. Kind of gave up on Apple being faster then the norm a long time ago, it?s all about the OS for me now.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

"I'll buy that for a dollar"; as long as Apple dumps the aluminum housing they can throw whatever crap they have on the shelf in there and I?ll probably buy one. Kind of gave up on Apple being faster then the norm a long time ago, it?s all about the OS for me now.

Grüezi... do I detect a Verhoeven-influenced soul here?

Anyway -- it is about the OS (and the applications). No matter what marketing hyperbole Apple spills, their hardware will seldom be faster $ for $ than the other guys'. Which is occasionally irritating, as their software is better, IMHO, but not really faster.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [off topic]
    Quote:

Originally posted by philby

Grüezi... do I detect a Verhoeven-influenced soul here?

Verhoeven???

it's no robocop... or turks fruit

didn't you mean ridley scott, philip k dick or rutger hauer-influenced?

nice quote though

[on topic]

i agree, it's about the OS.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

[off topic]

Verhoeven???

it's no robocop

"I'll buy that for a dollar!" -- I remember this vividly from the obnoxious TV show in RoboCop...