No ads for Mac Mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone else find it odd that Apple is doing absolutely no advertising for the Mac Mini?

Apple is supposed to want to appeal to switchers but they don't want them to know about it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Anyone else find it odd that Apple is doing absolutely no advertising for the Mac Mini?

Apple is supposed to want to appeal to switchers but they don't want them to know about it?

The mini is selling very well - both models started moving back up the Amazon rankings again after dipping down.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 120member
    Maybe they haven't quite figured out who to advertise to.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd assume they're waiting for Tiger and the revamped Switch campaign. Who knows, maybe they're also waiting for a mysterious accessory or some other add-on before they really start pushing the Mac mini.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I think its because they would rather sell the iMac. That would be pretty stupid though, because what Apple needs is more users.

They really should be placing ads for it.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think it has more to do with the fact that mini are still hard to find in some areas. Why advertise what people cannot just run in and buy.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think it has more to do with the fact that mini are still hard to find in some areas. Why advertise what people cannot just run in and buy.

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing ads soon since Apple.com doesn't have a 3-4 week wait on them anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    These things are selling themselves, no need to advertise.

Many Mac mini buyers in Australia & New Zealand (myself included) have endured 5 to 10 weeks wait. Most of those waiting requested some kind of BTO.

Please Apple, don't advertise until you have satisfied the backlog. \
  • Reply 8 of 28
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I think its because they would rather sell the iMac.

Then where are the iMac tv spots? Never seen one.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    ilawilaw Posts: 15member
    Apple hasn't advertised a computer since the G5 and that ad was banned in the UK.

The only way people are being made aware of their computers is through the iPod, which a shame because there is so much more to Apple than that.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Look at todays Best Buy sunday circular. There is a full page Mini layout...with words like "availible now!"
  • Reply 11 of 28
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Look at todays Best Buy sunday circular. There is a full page Mini layout...with words like "availible now!"

I had missed that....... so I went to bestbuy.com.... here is the ad

This is GREAAAT for Apple
  • Reply 12 of 28
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    cool. let best buy advertise for them.

I would love to see a TV spot, though, and you're right about the iMac-no ads. I dont get it.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    This is a much "deserved" criticism of Apple. Not enough advertising overall... I agree that it makes no sense to advertise a product that is not widely available enough. Why would that be the case with the Mac mini? It was an apparent HIT right out of the gate...

The real question comes when Tiger hits the shelves. Apple NEEDs to let the world know that it has the finest OS on the planet! Advertise Tiger, please Apple, do some heavy advertising. You want to increase your market share or not?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Why advertise a computer for the masses until its actually available to the masses? I don't think people are going to drive three hours to an Apple store to buy one. Now that people can actually buy them, Apple should do a combined iPod/ Mini ad. If anything they should get every place that sells iPods to sell Minis
  • Reply 15 of 28
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Why advertise a computer for the masses until its actually available to the masses? I don't think people are going to drive three hours to an Apple store to buy one. Now that people can actually buy them, Apple should do a combined iPod/ Mini ad. If anything they should get every place that sells iPods to sell Minis

Don't you think that BestBuy stores are available to the masses?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Don't you think that BestBuy stores are available to the masses?

I don't mean to be rude here, I don't think you read past the first two sentences.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

I don't mean to be rude here, I don't think you read past the first two sentences.

I did, and I'm still not clear on the issue. Why advertise a product that is not available to the masses, right?

You're talking about now, today. But it is available today. If you meant why would Apple advertise Mac mini if it was not available to the masses before, then OK.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    One of the longest-running mysteries of Apple. No real ads since the iMac Jeff Goldblum ads, and those didn't show what the product did or any of the OS or the price - there were just multi-colored iMacs dancing around. The only ad that ever showed what the computer did, sort of, was the "there is no step 3" ad, at least since Jobs returned.

And to my knowledge, I've never seen an interview with Jobs where they ask him any of the following:

- Why doesn't Apple advertise on television? Dell ads are on every 5 minutes, with a description of the computer and a price.

- Why doesn't Apple offer a lower-priced tower?

- Why doesn't Apple offer less expensive RAM?

- Why doesn't Apple let you buy a faster processor without the bigger HD? Or vice versa? Or with no video card? Or with no RAM? Or with no HD?

- Why doesn't Apple show Mac OS X on TV?

- Why doesn't Apple run sales or rebates and advertise them?

- Why doesn't Apple let mailorder dealers discount more?

- Why doesn't Apple offer a warranty for damage?

- Why doesn't Apple give away coupons for free songs with iPod purchases?

- Why doesn't Apple advertise its servers, networking and RAID for creative professionals?

- Why doesn't Apple promote the supercomputers and full-length feature films made with their products, someplace other than their own website?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

One of the longest-running mysteries of Apple. No real ads since the iMac Jeff Goldblum ads, and those didn't show what the product did or any of the OS or the price - there were just multi-colored iMacs dancing around.

First of all, mas media advertising as very expensive and tends to be an ineffecient way to gain new customers. Second, there are two primary types of product ads: 1) lifestyle/image/emotion, and 2) feature ads. By and large, most ads you see are of the first variety...especially on television. The amount of time you have before someone tunes out (literally or figuratively) is very short. And then there is the commercial ending...30 second later. Not very much time to say very much. Regarding Dell...all Dell really has to advertise is price. It is a commodity business. Price is the primary deciding factor. Finally, we have no idea how effective Dell's ads are. Just that they do it.

Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

And to my knowledge, I've never seen an interview with Jobs where they ask him any of the following:

- Why doesn't Apple advertise on television? Dell ads are on every 5 minutes, with a description of the computer and a price.

- Why doesn't Apple offer a lower-priced tower?

- Why doesn't Apple offer less expensive RAM?

- Why doesn't Apple let you buy a faster processor without the bigger HD? Or vice versa? Or with no video card? Or with no RAM? Or with no HD?

- Why doesn't Apple show Mac OS X on TV?

- Why doesn't Apple run sales or rebates and advertise them?

- Why doesn't Apple let mailorder dealers discount more?

- Why doesn't Apple offer a warranty for damage?

- Why doesn't Apple give away coupons for free songs with iPod purchases?

- Why doesn't Apple advertise its servers, networking and RAID for creative professionals?

- Why doesn't Apple promote the supercomputers and full-length feature films made with their products, someplace other than their own website?

I'm no Steve Jobs, but I'll give it a try.

- TV ads are expensive and inefficient.

- Apple offers a range of products, with a range of prices that meet a range of needs.

- While 3rd-parties offer moer affordable RAM, we offer the convenience of having it installed upon purchase at the factory.

- We have found that the packages and bundle we offer are a "best match" for most of our customers needs.

- TV ads are expensive and inefficient. Thirty seconds is very little time to tell our story about OS X. TV ads are not a very effective way to advertise something like an OS.

- Why should they have sales and rebates?

- Apple doesn't have any control over the discounts offered by its resellers. Apple sells its products at a defined wholesale price to resellers. How they choose to markup the products is their decision.

- What kind of warranty? We do offer a warranty ("A guarantee given to the purchaser by a company stating that a product is reliable and free from known defects and that the seller will, without charge, repair or replace defective parts within a given time limit and under certain conditions.") on our products. This sounds like insurance. We don't currently offer insurance products.

- Because at the present time we are selling iPods without having to provide additional incentives.

- Don't know. Maybe they do. I don't read trade rags for creative professionals.

- Where else should they?

These aren't very politically correct or Apple PR-approved answers, but I'll bet they are pretty close.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I did, and I'm still not clear on the issue. Why advertise a product that is not available to the masses, right?

You're talking about now, today. But it is available today. If you meant why would Apple advertise Mac mini if it was not available to the masses before, then OK.

Sorry about that. The first two sentences were in the past tense referring to why Apple didn't start an immediate ad campaign.