What position would the person "leaking" stuff to TS have?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Somebody is a moron to risk their job over leaking secrets to a website.

That being said, what position or part (in your opinion) does "deep throat" have at Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

That being said, what position or part (in your opinion) does "deep throat" have at Apple?

CEO ?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    TS usually has the good stuff less then a week before release so it leads me to think of a retail dude who is getting the info just before the new models are released. Someone working in a store or in the distribution side. Anyways it doesnt mean much having a few days notice before Apple does its annual mini bumps.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    That's for APPLE to figure out.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Wrong forum.. General discussion bound.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Maybe TS knows something about a high ranked manager at Apple and they/he is blackmailing him for some info 1 week or so before the announcements.

TS is doing experiments with a truth serum on Apple employees.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    WOZ!

• Reply 7 of 23
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Night janitor.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    RDF technician
  • Reply 9 of 23
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    stockboy
  • Reply 10 of 23
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Sitting!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Whistleblower.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Who says they're at Apple?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to pull marketing print materials together? What about the ad agencies - product shots, marketing campaigns, etc.? What about the manufacturing staff?

The early leaks would only be Apple or manufacturing, but the ones close to ship could be from all sorts of places that Apple has limited control over. That's not to say that their ass won't be fired because you can bet Apple has a heap of clauses in their contracts regarding early release of information, but Apple's ability to track down such leaks is much harder outside the organization.

Perfect secrets are desperately hard to keep. I think the quiet press release strategy is helping, however. It takes some of the intense pressure off that you see right before big events.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    it's Piper Jeffray..
  • Reply 14 of 23
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Ryan's grandmother
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Apple 's lawyers !
  • Reply 16 of 23
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Do you have any idea how long it takes to pull marketing print materials together?[/B]

spot on. everytime accurate news breaks 3-7 days before a release, my immediate assumption is that it's one of the marketing subcontractors. ie: magazine ad staff, poster printers, etc...
  • Reply 17 of 23
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

spot on. everytime accurate news breaks 3-7 days before a release, my immediate assumption is that it's one of the marketing subcontractors. ie: magazine ad staff, poster printers, etc...

Well I think there are multiple sources. Clearly all the new retail employees create more potential for leaks so far as they get marketing material ahead.

But most Apple products don't get marketed in teh stores till a couple of days if not a week after announcement. So that may not be it.

Could be the ad people at magazines etc. But I doubt Apple is runing new iMac ads for a simple product spec increase. This would leave internal marketing low levels like the people who put the web pages together.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Well I think there are multiple sources. Clearly all the new retail employees create more potential for leaks so far as they get marketing material ahead.

But most Apple products don't get marketed in teh stores till a couple of days if not a week after announcement. So that may not be it.

Could be the ad people at magazines etc. But I doubt Apple is runing new iMac ads for a simple product spec increase. This would leave internal marketing low levels like the people who put the web pages together.

It takes a week to two weeks for all the mass stamping of products and materials that Apple outsources.

My bet would be on investigating these businesses if I were at Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Steve's favorite pleasure girl.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Who says they're at Apple?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to pull marketing print materials together? What about the ad agencies - product shots, marketing campaigns, etc.? What about the manufacturing staff?

The early leaks would only be Apple or manufacturing, but the ones close to ship could be from all sorts of places that Apple has limited control over. That's not to say that their ass won't be fired because you can bet Apple has a heap of clauses in their contracts regarding early release of information, but Apple's ability to track down such leaks is much harder outside the organization.

Perfect secrets are desperately hard to keep. I think the quiet press release strategy is helping, however. It takes some of the intense pressure off that you see right before big events.

This is a good point as I work at A PR firm that has Apple as one of it's clients. I found out about Tiger's release and ship date a few weeks before it was officially announced. I was also told of other upcoming news, but it's not that juicy. For example, we might be told when a piece of hardware will be updated, but we will not be told the new specs of the hardware.