Mac Reliability

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I seem to recall a reliability survey on the Apple macs and it compared the operating system to windows...

I'm trying to find the survey to help persuade my friends who are considering a move from Windows.

Anything on point is appreciated...Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I saw a survey like this a couple of years ago but it was before XP was out (2001?).

If you have a good HP, IBM or even custom built machine with quality components and run W2K or even XP you will have a machine as reliable as a Mac.

If you argue the update/virus security/identity theft part then I see a point.

Mac hardware is no more reliable than a decent PC and W2K and XP is nearly/just as reliable as OS X

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    my G5 is incredibly stable. i know that's not exactly what you're looking for in this thread, but i seriously have maybe one crash every 3 or 4 months. the last one was my fault too.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Okay check this out, ask any on this board there up-times in any version of OSX, mine is up 19 days, 21:23. Please ask a windows user the last time he didn't have to restart his computer for 19 days. Thats the OS, as far as the hardware is concerned my ibook is four years old and still running the same as the day i bought it, its currently running 10.2 and as soon as i buy a new mac it will be running 10.4 . Windows cannot compare to Mac OSX. Build it yourself buy it from Dell it doesn't matter it still will be running a bloated antiquated outdated operating system.

Microsoft has a long way to go to catch up to Apple, especially since Apple has been at this game for many more years than Microsoft. Look at the current version of XP 5.1 or 5.2 i believe, where as Apple is at 10.4. Microsoft creates the problems that are "found" in XP, why i ask would a company with all that money release an OS with so many holes.

You ever looked up what it costs for tech support? Or license fees for companies to use there software? Microsoft's operating systems and software make them money even after there products have been bought.

Ask or lookup how many Mac Tech or IT personnel jobs there are in the world, or Mac tech support for ISP companies. The reasons are many but there is one solid truth that Macs don't require the support of PC counterparts. Because they just work........
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Look for Consumer Reports in your local library. They have statistics on computer brand reliability and customer satisfaction. Of course Apple is #1 in both.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Please ask a windows user the last time he didn't have to restart his computer for 19 days.

31 days and 14 hours on my XP box. And that last reboot was to update graphic card drivers, if I am not mistaken. But I could be wrong.

Quote:

Build it yourself buy it from Dell it doesn't matter it still will be running a bloated antiquated outdated operating system.

Vague, but if you're talking about online times here, I would investigate before editorializing. It's entirely possible to keep an XP box online for a long time. For the record, not that it matters, but it's a box I built myself.

Quote:

Look at the current version of XP 5.1 or 5.2 i believe, where as Apple is at 10.4.

Sorry? Version numbers can't be compared directly like that. They've both been in the OS game for relatively the same amount of time, give or take some.

Quote:

Microsoft creates the problems that are "found" in XP, why i ask would a company with all that money release an OS with so many holes.

To screw people over, of course. That's what big bad evil companies do.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well to be honest, any OS will become unstable if you use third party apps such as shareware games, which aren't produced on a professional level. However, overall a Mac is more sturdy.

For example, if a game crashes, a mac will recover, as the system still uses resources whilst the game is running. Windows computers on the other hand, pump everything into a game, and therefore are more likely to crash as they have to switch resources back to the OS... Doing this with an already crashed app is pretty difficult.

This is from my experience. Also if you get a dual processor mac, then it's even more reliable, practically "uncrash-able".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    XP is alot better with handling crashing apps.

You generally get a send report box and go back to the desktop.

Use W2K or XP with just MS office and IE/Firefox and you will have a system that will run fine for ages (as long as you don't use the internet). Add any other apps and the reliability seems to go down from there.

I tend to find OS X a bit more reliable with 3rd party apps.

It is certainly much nicer to browse the web on as all those hacker sites just say unable to execute VB code xxx.

Dobby.