Tiger - DVD install only!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Looks like anyone without a DVD Mac is going to have to wait up to another month for Tiger and then pay some more - well here in the UK...

From the Apple site:

What's Included with Tiger In the Box

Installation DVD

Xcode 2 developer tools

Installation and setup guide

Welcome to Mac OS X Tiger user guide

From the Apple site USA:

Tiger ships on a DVD, but if your Mac doesn?t have a built-in DVD-ROM player, you?ll need CD media. When you buy Mac OS X Tiger, you qualify to purchase Tiger CDs for only $9.95.

You need to download a PDF order form which states you have to mail back your Tiger DVD install disk and proof of purchase - oh yeah and then pay $9.95 for new CDR disks???

What is wrong with this?

$129.00 buys you a license to install and run Mac OSX Tiger - you shouldn't be requested to surrender licensed software, which is your property. Apple should supply two versions as there are probably more macs around without a DVD at this stage.

Orders must be posted before July 9th 2005. Does this mean anyone purchasing Tiger after this date will not be entitled to a CD Media installer disk for legacy hardware - even though it is compatible Tiger?

3. Tiger will not install Via Firewire.

Tiger ships on a DVD, but if your Mac doesn?t have a built-in DVD-ROM player, you?ll need CD media.

Does this mean that an external DVD RW will not install Tiger?

Would you go to a bakery - buy a sandwich - then post it back and pay more money to get a filling?

So far Apple UK have posted no details or prices of acquiring CD Media version on Mac OS X Tiger on their site...

Finally - I don't know what the mods have done to my username/password but I had to re-register username/password?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    c'est la vie...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=52940

Been there done that. I'd recommend just buying a DVD Drive.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    j@ffaj@ffa Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rendezvouz

What is wrong with this?

$129.00 buys you a license to install and run Mac OSX Tiger - you shouldn't be requested to surrender licensed software, which is your property. Apple should supply two versions as there are probably more macs around without a DVD at this stage.

I take it you mean CD - well, I'd imagine it would be the other way round. They're not, contrary to public opinion, completely stupid - it's likely that they went to DVD for a) simplicity, and b) technical reasons. It's entirely possible that shipping it on CDs will mean a set of five or even six discs - one DVD is much, much cheaper.

Quote:

Orders must be posted before July 9th 2005. Does this mean anyone purchasing Tiger after this date will not be entitled to a CD Media installer disk for legacy hardware - even though it is compatible Tiger?[/B]

That is odd, and I have no idea. Hehe...

Quote:

3. Tiger will not install Via Firewire.

Tiger ships on a DVD, but if your Mac doesn?t have a built-in DVD-ROM player, you?ll need CD media.

Does this mean that an external DVD RW will not install Tiger?[/B]

It should probably be OK, but it depends how stringent Apple are with the checks. Maybe checking for a G3-G5 system, FireWire, 400MHz and internal DVD keeps things newer?

Quote:

So far Apple UK have posted no details or prices of acquiring CD Media version on Mac OS X Tiger on their site...

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/mediaexchange/

It was hidden away on the "Upgrade" page.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Thanks for that

Trading standards will love this...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    trading what? huh?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Stupid on Apple's part IMO. If it's true. If it does ship DVD only and they offer CD on request they should bite the bullet and ship it for free. It's bad enough you buy a box with software you can't install but they then make you jump through hoops and pay more money. I'm guessing Apple will leave all of this in the finest of print on the side of the box.

And another thing, at the store and online site they should have the CD install for sale at the normal price. No real excuse not to do that.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

And another thing, at the store and online site they should have the CD install for sale at the normal price. No real excuse not to do that.

They could at least let you order the CD version for $139, but I guess the point is that they don't want to box those CDs or have empty boxes in storage to put CDs into.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Apple still sells an EDU-only CD-ROM iBook. And it wasn't *that* long ago that all the low-end iBook, eMac, and even iMac models shipped with CD-ROMs - only in late 2003 did they begin to ship all iBooks with Combo drives. So I just can't believe this is true. It would seriously annoy too many recent (and even some current!) Mac buyers.

Edit: Never mind, it says the same thing on the US website, so it's obviously true. That's going to be a minor pain in the ass for me. Buy Tiger, fill out some form, mail it off, wait an indeterminate time for media to arrive, and pay extra mmoney for the privilege? Pain. In. The. Ass.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Stupid on Apple's part IMO. If it's true. If it does ship DVD only and they offer CD on request they should bite the bullet and ship it for free. It's bad enough you buy a box with software you can't install but they then make you jump through hoops and pay more money. I'm guessing Apple will leave all of this in the finest of print on the side of the box.

iWork is available for the same price but it probably fits on two CDs, I was cross at first. I didn't realise it wouldn't work via FireWire, I have a LaCie DL DVD±RW and I was going to use that for my sisters iMac, urgh!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by J@ffa

I take it you mean CD - well, I'd imagine it would be the other way round. They're not, contrary to public opinion, completely stupid - it's likely that they went to DVD for a) simplicity, and b) technical reasons. It's entirely possible that shipping it on CDs will mean a set of five or even six discs - one DVD is much, much cheaper.

i think he meant DVD actually!

Quote:

quote:

What is wrong with this?

• Reply 11 of 14
    Apple has to start moving on. When things started to ship on CD instead of floppy, I'm sure people were upset. All recent macs have DVD drives. And they have been slowly making the switch. My Mom got an iBook w/ a Combo drive before the April 2004 revision. Her's came with 3 OS CD's and 8 application CD's for a total of 11!!! I got one right after the April 2004 revision, and instead I have 2 DVD's for everything. DVD's are the format of the future. And since Apple doesn't list MHz requirements, this is anotehr way to set a standard bar. They want people to be happy with there expirence with Tiger, and MOST likely, if all you have is a CD drive, you expierence is going to be sub-par. If you go here (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html), tehre is a nice list of all the computers it is supported on. I realize that not everybody has $$$ to plunk down on a new computer. But if you don't by Tiger, you are $129 towards a new computer.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Apple has to start moving on. When things started to ship on CD instead of floppy, I'm sure people were upset. All recent macs have DVD drives. And they have been slowly making the switch. My Mom got an iBook w/ a Combo drive before the April 2004 revision. Her's came with 3 OS CD's and 8 application CD's for a total of 11!!! I got one right after the April 2004 revision, and instead I have 2 DVD's for everything. DVD's are the format of the future. And since Apple doesn't list MHz requirements, this is anotehr way to set a standard bar. They want people to be happy with there expirence with Tiger, and MOST likely, if all you have is a CD drive, you expierence is going to be sub-par. If you go here (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html), tehre is a nice list of all the computers it is supported on. I realize that not everybody has $$$ to plunk down on a new computer. But if you don't by Tiger, you are $129 towards a new computer.

I have two computers. A slot drive iMac and a PowerBook (brand-new). My point is that it's fine to ship as standard on DVD but your mum got a computer a year ago and it wont work because of no DVD-ROM. That's not right, she shouldn't have to pay another £10/$10 for a computer that's so new. Also my iMac is supported but it has no DVD-drive, I have an external DVD drive though - I've heard that may not work. There should be a transition not an immediate dismissal of CDs. CDs should be available in the shops and maybe a fiver more but you shouldn't have to send off. I think they're trying to discourage people buying Tiger for more than one computer (if one is older - like my iMac and PowerBook situation).
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I have two computers. A slot drive iMac and a PowerBook (brand-new). My point is that it's fine to ship as standard on DVD but your mum got a computer a year ago and it wont work because of no DVD-ROM. That's not right, she shouldn't have to pay another £10/$10 for a computer that's so new. Also my iMac is supported but it has no DVD-drive, I have an external DVD drive though - I've heard that may not work.

Why shouldn't that work?

If it doesn't you could boot it in Target Disk Mode, connect it to your PowerBook and install Tiger from there.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Why shouldn't that work?

If it doesn't you could boot it in Target Disk Mode, connect it to your PowerBook and install Tiger from there.

Someone said Tiger didn't support FireWire install - maybe they meant something else. I am expecting it to work though!