bad news for the people hoping for new PowerMacs

zozo
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to French website macbidouille, they contacted major distributors of Mac hardware, and they still have HUGE backlogs of material.

Unless they announce it today and ship in a few months, there is very little probabilty that PMs will ship soon

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...05-04-15#10803

Quote:

De gros stocks de G5 et d'iMac - Lionel - 05:52:08 - Réactions

Si Apple doit réellement renouveler sa gamme de G5 et d'imac très bientôt, un problème se posera. Les grossistes ont de très grosses quantités de ces machines.

Un seul d'entre eux a 225 Powermac G5 Dual 2,5 GHz. Le chiffre peut paraître faible, mais il représente plus de 600 000 euros d'immobilisés. Au total, ce sont quelques millions d'euros de machines qui risquent de perdre une partie non négligeable de leur valeur comptable d'un jour Ã* l'autre.

To make a long thing short: just one of the distributors had 225 G5 2.5 duals in stock worth over 600k euros (about a billion US dollars).

Merde alors...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Relic loads one bullet into a revolver, spins cylinder, putt?s the gun to his temple, CLICK! ?Oh wait it?s just a computer?, the final thought from his left lobe while dripping down the chair.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    A billion? The U.S. Dollar is not that bad.

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 24
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    600k Euros is currently worth 768k USD
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

600k Euros is currently worth 768k USD

Actually it's 772,817.18.

1 EUR = 1.28803 USD

1 USD = 0.776380 EUR
  • Reply 5 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Actually it's 772,817.18.

1 EUR = 1.28803 USD

1 USD = 0.776380 EUR

But rarley does a person get that good of a rate.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    humor is lost upon people sometimes
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

But rarley does a person get that good of a rate.

Sure you do, ever trade currencies . If you go to BNP Paribas or any other bank for that matter they'll rape you.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

humor is lost upon people sometimes

has to be funny first...

bah, nevermind...I'm just an irritable ass this morning. Damn network troubles...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

has to be funny first...

bah, nevermind...I'm just an irritable ass this morning. Damn network troubles...

Didn't have your Starbucks fix yet, huh?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    What does "macbidouille" mean?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

What does "macbidouille" mean?

Mac do-it-yourself
  • Reply 12 of 24
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The reseller might have a large stock because Apple let him buy them at a good price, in which case the reseller will know a new PM is on the way and that he will be selling existing stock at a discount, but still maintaining his margin.

Are there any US resellers picking up PMs at a discount? Doubt if they will say.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    in US you can contact MacWarehouse, Micro, Small Dog, and the actuall distributor, Ingram Micro, etc.

Thats what many rumor sites do to try and understand if new products are coming
  • Reply 14 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    So, this may mean that even Think Secret's prediction about new Power Macs after Tiger's launch at the end of the month, can be somewhat off. TS has been already misinformed about Tiger's release date. Or perhaps something changed the last moment and the release date took a 2 weeks kick. If something similar happens with the Power Macs, even a WWDC release may be rather optimistic at the end. Anyway, I don't think Apple would let WWDC come to pass without updating the Power Mac line.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    To make a long thing short: just one of the distributors had 225 G5 2.5 duals in stock worth over 600k euros (about a billion US dollars).

Merde alors... [/B][/QUOTE]

"My daddy just bought a new car...It costs like about a million dollars."(8 yr old me)
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

According to French website macbidouille, they contacted major distributors of Mac hardware, and they still have HUGE backlogs of material.

Unless they announce it today and ship in a few months, there is very little probabilty that PMs will ship soon

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...05-04-15#10803

Merde alors...

The site actually says:

"If APPLE must really renew its range of G5 and imac very soon, a problem will arise. The wholesalers have very large quantities of these machines.

Only one of them has 225 Powermac G5 Dual 2,5 GHz. The figure can appear weak, but it represents more than 600 000 euros of immobilized. On the whole, they are a few million euros of machines which are likely to lose a considerable part of their book value from one day to another."

Now Wholesaler doesn't necessarily mean Retailer / Dealer so therefore if you have say 10 dealers pulling from this stock, it only equates to 20 machines - hardly huge stocks, and not something that cannot take a tumble in price if updated machines are released.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dovetail

Merde alors...

"My daddy just bought a new car...It costs like about a million dollars."(8 yr old me)

I'm sure it was an honest mistake and in no way meant to demean the falling American dollar. Because he knows he would be dragged out to the street by his toes and beaten to a bloody sludge. Yea, yea, ?Freedom Fries? take that Parisian!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Apple Store is full of refurbs of every model. You can get a 17" PB 1.5GHz for $1999. You can get a 12" iBook for $799. You can get a 17" G5 iMac for $1099. Great deals!

This includes all the models of PowerMac. I don't think resellers get price protection if Apple calls 'em "refurbs" but I don't think that big backlog will hold up the release of new models. I've bought 2 refurbs so far and both times the machines showed no evidence of even the slightest usage. YMMV.

I've little doubt that the PMs and iMacs will be refreshed very soon. I also think we'll see PB and iBook refreshes fairly soon.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    If similar stock levels exist on this side of the pond as well, bring on the new machines... I'd be more inclined to buy a heavily discounted dual 2.5 instead of whatever the new offerings are
  • Reply 20 of 24
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    The information I have indicated otherwise current Powermacs should be EOLed within by the end of this month. The signs exist in the retail channel. Apple has limited the number of bulk buying options for Universities ( this is generally a precursor to EOL hence...new machines)....je pense que le française <got screwed>. I guess they'll have to eat the billion dollars, unless of course apple wants to price protect that.