Apple updates iMovie HD, iDVD and iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple today released updates to iMovie HD, iDVD and iPhoto. According to the release notes, iMovie HD 5.0.2 addresses issues related to video and audio synchronization for DV projects and other issues, while iDVD 5.0.1 improves general stability and compatibility with iPhoto slideshows and iMovie HD. Meanwhile, iPhoto 5.0.2 addresses issues with iPhoto book layout, multiword searching, iDVD slideshow integration, and slideshow performance and photo editing on G3 systems. All three updates are available through the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    It would seem we all don't care that much. LOL. Kinda dwarfed by Tiger... but good to see the iPhoto glitch fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    really the iphoto update is the only one i care about. i think most people here use some form of final cut.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    its funny... we're at iPhoto version 5 and I still can't get myself to use it.

I view pics old school with Preview and go through them one by one.

I try out every new version, but I find that the speed of it is ALWAYS abysmal.

I'm especially sensitive about future proofing. Having a DVD or CD full of directories with your pics will always work in any computer from here to the next, hopefully, decade or two. Havng iPhoto making weird directories and databases and crap like that aint my thing. Maybe things have changed, but I still cant around to it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    ZO what speed of apple do you have?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    1.25ghz powerbook w/1.25gb ram
  • Reply 6 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I agree ZO, that the storage directories iPhoto creates are whack! I still use iPhoto though but save important vacation photo's in directories created by me.

I guess in the end you could drag all the photo's into a folder from iPhoto.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I agree ZO, that the storage directories iPhoto creates are whack! I still use iPhoto though but save important vacation photo's in directories created by me.

I guess in the end you could drag all the photo's into a folder from iPhoto.

I want a mini with a fw drive just to use as file storage on my network.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    I'm sure these updates are to make them compatible with the new PB G5's that will be released next Tuesday. This according to my inside sources.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by gruth

I'm sure these updates are to make them compatible with the new PB G5's that will be released next Tuesday. This according to my inside sources.

you mean the voices you hear in yer head?

• Reply 10 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gruth

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense for Apple to release a brand new product less than two weeks before they release their fancy new operating system.

• Reply 11 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

its funny... we're at iPhoto version 5 and I still can't get myself to use it.

I view pics old school with Preview and go through them one by one.

I try out every new version, but I find that the speed of it is ALWAYS abysmal.

I'm especially sensitive about future proofing. Having a DVD or CD full of directories with your pics will always work in any computer from here to the next, hopefully, decade or two. Havng iPhoto making weird directories and databases and crap like that aint my thing. Maybe things have changed, but I still cant around to it.

Hmmm....

I use iPhoto for my personal photos but not my project assets. So there's a place for Finder-based folder organization yet.

Interesting though... I'm amazed Apple hasn't released Pro versions of other portions of iLife. We have Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio which will likely be updated soon. But no Asset Track Pro, for your project-specific audio, video, and photo resources... at least not yet. 8)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Is this any fix to the demuxing problem with getting clips of video in iPhoto 5 to iMovie HD or do I still have to have MPEG Streamclip?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

But no Asset Track Pro, for your project-specific audio, video, and photo resources... at least not yet. 8)

uh i think Apple knows that anybody making money is capable of making a folder and keeping projects organized. asset management is part of what sets real professionals apart from posers that got their hands on pro software.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

uh i think Apple knows that anybody making money is capable of making a folder and keeping projects organized. asset management is part of what sets real professionals apart from posers that got their hands on pro software.

A good shop may know what they're doing, but your average production house is not so organized or centralized. Different versions of the same files in different formats all over the place. Nobody knows exactly what is really up to date or where to find half the stuff other than asking the owner to email it to them.

iTunes for mixed media with asset tracking and shared access is a major step for most.