Tiger Review

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Checkout this strange review of Mac OS X Tiger by a serious Windows fanboy

www.winsupersite.com.

I couldn't help laughing at the last section about Windows XP Service Pack 2 being a bigger upgrade than the panther-to-tiger minor upgrade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Well Paul is slightly biased, he also told readers that iWorks shipped with new macs. I installed service pack 2 and yes it has a virus and firewall and a changed wireless icon but Tiger is huge. It's now quicker to find something than to locate it yourself. It no longer matter where you save something, or what you call it.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I dunno.. I just read it and I didn't find him "bashing" it to death... as a matter of fact, he made some great claims for Mac OS X and Apple.

Some of the opinion-based commentary was different from my opinion... but it's just opinion.

At one point, he mentioned (paraphrasing) that Tiger is really a minor update to an already rock-solid platform.

Doesn't sound like bashing to me.

(EDIT): I know neither of you say he "bashed" it... but got the feeling from the use of the term "fanboy" that you thought the review was unfair. Just giving my 2¢.

• Reply 3 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

At one point, he mentioned (paraphrasing) that Tiger is really a minor update to an already rock-solid platform.

I felt that "externally" Panther was a minor update. Its claim to fame was Expose.

Tiger is far more significant internally and externally. Thus I don't think Paul is bashing but rather being very obtuse about just what Tiger offers. I know he runs a windows cheerleading site but it's never good to review a competiting product with such strong bias. I discount a lot of Mac web reviews as well for the same reason.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I felt that "externally" Panther was a minor update. Its claim to fame was Expose.

I don't know, Exposé, Finder sidebar, vastly improved Open/Save dialogs (god help us), a blessed reduction of pinstripes, greatly improved Preview, a faster search field in the Finder, improved Mail, Fast User Switching, improved speed overall... It's hard to imagine going back to Jaguar.

But yeah, I agree that Tiger is considerably more significant than Panther. I think Apple is very canny how it arranges its OS updates -- it seems there's always something you want really badly, even as you know you're paying just a little too much for it....
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Some people just have a hard time shifting their center and viewing the world from another perspective. Hell I was and still am excited for Longhorn coming next year. What's wrong with just liking new technology even if you might not use it?

This doesn't happen and instead we are told that the Tiger isn't a worthy upgrade. Well let's see..that depends on what needs a person has doesn't it? I'm trying to see where Tiger is so deficient and if it's deficient then where do I go to get these features?

Some stuff I like.

I LOVE Dashboard! The Widgets are simple webpages which means almost anything you can do on the net can be made into a widget. Judging from some of the spelling errors(mine included)seen on the Web I don't think anyone should be downplaying easy Dictionary/Thesaurus access.

Envelope Printing

Print custom labels and envelopes from your Address Book.

Wasn't there a huge thread about Pages not supporting Mail Merge? Likely because those functions are being added elsewhere.

Spotlight is such a unique way of organizing and viewing data. Apple was smart to infuse it everywhere into the system. Some people just don't "get it" yet. But hard drives are skyrocketing in capacity. Even the most well organized person will not be able to keep up with the data on their Terabyte hard drives eventually. Spotlight allows us all to view how our files are linked to metada. This is so huge It's hard to comprehend. Apple knows this..Microsoft knows this. We need to know this.

Automator- I thought this app was a going to be a joke when I first heard of it. But you know I just today had to save a bunch of untitled files (pics) from my email and I had to rename by hand every fcking one of them Automation is the future as far as taking tedium out of receiving items that have to be modified in similar ways. Poo Poo it all you want but I bet in the course of your day you'll find plenty of tasks you do that could easily be automated.

Dictionary Application

Look up troublesome words in a new dictionary and thesaurus system application based on The New Oxford American Dictionary.

Dictionary Widget

Find definitions by typing all or part of a word, and use the built-in thesaurus to find synonyms, antonyms and more ? no Internet connection required.

Did I mention how much I love Dictionaries? Apple's page says you can just highlight a word and Spotlight it in any application. I have to see this in action.

Hell Adobe doesn't even have PDF Forms ready in Acrobat 7 and Apple has this in Preview.

I just want to know what Tiger is missing that is so egregious that it's not worth $129. I'm all ears.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I don't know, Exposé, Finder sidebar, vastly improved Open/Save dialogs (god help us), a blessed reduction of pinstripes, greatly improved Preview, a faster search field in the Finder, improved Mail, Fast User Switching, improved speed overall... It's hard to imagine going back to Jaguar.

But yeah, I agree that Tiger is considerably more significant than Panther. I think Apple is very canny how it arranges its OS updates -- it seems there's always something you want really badly, even as you know you're paying just a little too much for it....

So true Hobbes. Panther wasn't hot until you actually used it and saw the "little" things summed up to something nice. God I don't know why I get so testy about OS upgrades. I guess it's because I feel like I'm being manipulated by people. Hey opionions are cool but always open to debate. Including my own and I'm willing to admit when my initial thoughts are incorrect. Like right now. Panther brough OSX up to XP equality. I think Tiger beats easily whatever MS has for the next year.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

I think Tiger beats easily whatever MS has for the next year.

Agreed... though it does look like Longhorn will at long last match OS X in graphics technology, and pretty much feature-for-feature w/ Tiger (though likely not in simplicity + UI philosophy).

Apple has a year and a half, maybe two, to rejuice the Switch campaign, and figure out how to take OS X to the next level.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Spotlight is such a unique way of organizing and viewing data. Apple was smart to infuse it everywhere into the system. Some people just don't "get it" yet. But hard drives are skyrocketing in capacity. Even the most well organized person will not be able to keep up with the data on their Terabyte hard drives eventually. Spotlight allows us all to view how our files are linked to metada. This is so huge It's hard to comprehend. Apple knows this..Microsoft knows this. We need to know this.

What's genius is that it's quicker to type what you're looking for even if you know exactly where it is!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Because most of us have a lot of files, and not always perfect recall in where they are at, it is sometimes easier/faster to type a file's name/attributes rather then hunt through multiple layers of folder structure trying to find where it is located.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

(from end of article)

Tiger may lack some of the niceties that make Windows more appealing to new users, but it does reward those with existing computer skills with a minimalist user interface that, as advertised, "gets out of the way" and lets you get your job done.

does anyone have a sense of what Win "niceties" he's referring to in the excerpt above? i'm not asking sarcastically. this just hasn't been my personal experience.

i've had to use XP daily for the last 17 months. and it certainly does have a few nice features for newbies, eg: image preview in file system folders.

but it retains pretty much all of the tidbits that have always driven me nuts, even as an experienced wintel user. eg:

- overly complex control panel nesting. exercise left to the reader: find an average XP user, and ask them to find the "defrag" utility via the control panel. some will find it. now find a newbie. explain what the util does contextually, and ask them to find it in the control panel. most don't make it past the top-level CP menu.

- the dreaded two-layer tab system in multi-panel UIs. ie: click tab in top row, and rows reverse position. drives me nuts!

- the start menu, an unorganized potpourri hack, imo.

- the registry. egads, the single, ugliest, most problematic mechanism, imo.

most windows users i know have learned to work within small patterned corridors of the OS, consciously avoiding fiddling with other knobs and levers for fear the machine will wedge. (certainly a valid fear w.r.t the registry)

by comparison, i've been able to get some complete newbies up and running on OS X in a matter of hours, and they find more stuff themselves over time, sparing me many wasted hours coaching them and repairing their registries.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I installed service pack 2 and yes it has a virus and firewall and a changed wireless icon but Tiger is huge.

WinXP SP2 has neither a Virus (*g*) nor an Anti-Virus included
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

WinXP SP2 has neither a Virus (*g*) nor an Anti-Virus included

yeah, you're right. I meant anti-spyware and firewall.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

yeah, you're right. I meant anti-spyware and firewall.

It doesnt include a Anti Spyware App either

the just made IE more secure and less vulnerable to Spyware, but the Anti Spyware App itself is a seperate download (currently in beta Stage)
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

It doesnt include a Anti Spyware App either

the just made IE more secure and less vulnerable to Spyware, but the Anti Spyware App itself is a seperate download (currently in beta Stage)

I meant firewall and the ability to download anti-spyware - although this is for XP Pack 1 as well. The security centre mentioned virus' which is why i mentioned it, i hadn't examined it that closely. There is no way service pack 2 is a major upgrade - it's a few bug and security fixes that shouldn't have been there. It has not provided any new functionality to speak of.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    yeah i read Thurrot's article too. i'm not sure how to take it. personally i find his 'i like Mac' opening statements and history to be his way to appear objective, when in fact it might not be so. it is similar to how polititians throw around military service credentials as a way to add credibility to their opinions on war activities. Thurrot is manipulating the reader in a similar way.

the reason i say this is that when all is said and done, Thurrot eventually premises his opinion based on XP's superiority. in otherwords he is comparing Tiger with the CURRENT XP and Tiger is "a good competitor" to it. this means it's close but not as good.

now let's look at what the current XP actually is - NT 5! (an NT 4 derivative with a decorative GUI and System Restore.

it still has a horrific networking interface that is hit and miss at the best of times.

OsX and Tiger is the culmination of the Os that was first visualised at it's outset. it employs the new interface technologies, which XP does not. OsX is using an advanced file system, which XP does not.

the features that are being promoted for Longhorn are the same as what is in Tiger RIGHT NOW. actually it appears WinFS may not be included in Longhorn for a few more years yet. i wonder if Longhorn is going to have that moronic puppy dog and waving flashlight keeping the user amused as it takes forever to do a file search?

also Longhorn is boasting about having easier networking abilities, similar to what Tiger has NOW!(actually what Mac has always had)...

What's not mentioned is that Tiger is uniquely hybridized for 32/64 bit processing. this will only become apparent later as developers eventually take advantage of it. but what Thurrot does instead is ignore the internal meat of the Os and, instead, comments mostly about GUI aesthetics?! this olso illustrates HOW he conducted his evaluation - Thurrot seems to have just played with the interface, opened some apps and decided that most are just cool eye candy and that over all Tiger 'looks' exactly like Panther, therefore IT IS Panther.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghiangelo

What's not mentioned is that Tiger is uniquely hybridized for 32/64 bit processing. this will only become apparent later as developers eventually take advantage of it. but what Thurrot does instead is ignore the internal meat of the Os and, instead, comments mostly about GUI aesthetics?! this olso illustrates HOW he conducted his evaluation - Thurrot seems to have just played with the interface, opened some apps and decided that most are just cool eye candy and that over all Tiger 'looks' exactly like Panther, therefore IT IS Panther.

Even if he was comparing the appearance there is a bigger difference in Tiger from Panther than Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. I don't understand why he likes Windows so much - I don't get it!!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Even if he was comparing the appearance there is a bigger difference in Tiger from Panther than Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. I don't understand why he likes Windows so much - I don't get it!!

That was a fan boy remark. The reason is simple, he makes money and this is his lively hood. You can?t expect him to say that OSX is the best OS on the planet do you. It would be like a BMW salesman saying yeah our cars are nice but I think you would be better fitted with a Mercedes. Why are you guys reading a Windows site anyway (dabbling with the dark side are we), because he reviewed Tiger, who cares, if anything we should be flattered.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Agreed... though it does look like Longhorn will at long last match OS X in graphics technology, and pretty much feature-for-feature w/ Tiger (though likely not in simplicity + UI philosophy).

Doubtful: Tiger ships next week: Longhorn goes next year (at the earliest) thus giving Apple time to spice up OSX even further - with MS trackrecord in timelyness, I look for LH to ship in late Q1/early Q2 2006, giving Apple time to jump back in front
  • Reply 19 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I interestingly Windows still has version numbers (but they market the years) and if you look at it it falls out like this, IIRC

windows 2000 = windows 5.1

windows XP=windows5.2

windows 2003 = windows 5.3

Longhorn was slated to be 6.0 but with all they are stripping out, it may well be 5.4
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Doubtful: Tiger ships next week: Longhorn goes next year (at the earliest) thus giving Apple time to spice up OSX even further - with MS trackrecord in timelyness, I look for LH to ship in late Q1/early Q2 2006, giving Apple time to jump back in front

I expect Mac OS X 10.5 to come out early 2007 (or late 2006). If Longhorn is released as well it might make sense to bring out a new Mac OS slightly earlier. I thought Longhorn was rumoured for 2007?! In which case Apple could have a brand new OS that Windows hasn't had time to copy.