iDIsk auto-sync in Panther? Crap?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone else had excrutiating reliability problems with iDIsk auto sync in Panther?

I have and unless it drastically improves I'm not going to be renewing my membership for a second year.

Thankfully my membership expires in August which gives me time to try it out with Tiger for a bit, but it's not right that I should have to BUY an upgrade to the OS in order to make something, which I'm already PAYING EXTRA for, work as advertised.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Well evidently all the Apple drones here wont dare to speak ill of their god but I've had the same problems on 5 machines so it cant be a fluke.

.Mac is a waste of money and if I had more time I would report them for false advertising.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Care to describe your problems? I have been using iDisk sync for about a year. There was one time when it just quit working. I had to turn off the local disk and then recreate it. A bit of a pain. Other than that it has been a little slow but pretty reliable.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I could never get the .Mac backups to work for me.

I would upload the files, and then try to sync them a few days later. Almost every time, it would say something was corrupted and had to rebuild the backup file. I don't think I ever got more than two syncs in a row to work. Obviously not the best way to ensure my important files are kept safe.

Needless to say, I let my .Mac subscription lapse when the time came.

I am curious to see if Tiger makes it more stable. But even then, I don't know if it is worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I tried putting my entire Documents folder on my iDisk, but it wouldn't sync some Word Documents while it would sync other Word Documents. Of course I didn't try keeping my Entourage folder on my iDisk a bit tricky.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

[i]I am curious to see if Tiger makes it more stable.[/B]

It's worse.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I have had nothing but problems using the iDisk syncing. It never fully would sync all my files correctly. And sometimes is would cause weird behavior...

All the HTML files I synced one time got all screwed up. Trying to access them in any other browser than Safari would cause the browser to try and download the files rather than display them.

------

Also, how is .Mac syncing worse in Tiger?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's worse.

Explain.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluedalmatian

Well evidently all the Apple drones here wont dare to speak ill of their god but I've had the same problems on 5 machines so it cant be a fluke.

.Mac is a waste of money and if I had more time I would report them for false advertising.

so, anyone who hasnt any problems accross all 7 machines and doesnt have a problem will automatically get labeled a fan boy eh?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Sorry to hear your problems. I don't back up files to .Mac so I don't know about iDisk syncing per se. I do use it extensively for Mail, address book and iCal, iBlog, family web site and file sharing. Those things work great for me and make .Mac worth it for me.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Explain.

There is a showstopping bug in the Sync portion of dot-mac. I have not heard back from ADC about it, but since it's NDA let's just say make sure you have local copies of things like keychains, bookmarks, etc. tucked away before letting them get synced to dot-mac. The upload and download functions are reversed in certain circumstances and if your iDisk, for example, does not have any keychains, when you try and sync your keychain to the iDisk it replaces your (full) local keychain with the (blank) iDisk keychain instead of the reverse. (!). Poof.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

so, anyone who hasnt any problems accross all 7 machines and doesnt have a problem will automatically get labeled a fan boy eh?

I have 4 machines and they all work fine with .mac...