Thurrott Reviews Tiger; Pigs Fly

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/macosx_tiger.asp

WARNING: Brain hemorrhage may occur if read.

Some choice gems:

"Though it is marketed by Apple as a major release, Tiger is in fact a minor upgrade with few major new features, more akin to what we'd call a service pack in the Windows world."

"Exposé is a weird solution, requiring you to hit various "hot keys" (read: A function keys) in order to trigger its display, kind of a throwback of sorts to the early days of DOS-based applications."

Only Thurrott could compare Exposé to DOS. Only he.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Give him some slack, Microsoft's main shill is a little cranky these days. While Apple is shipping on time, MS is having to give pathetic interviews for their next OS upgrade like this:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1786137,00.asp
  • Reply 2 of 60
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    In his world, MS already has released its equivalent of Spotlight and Q2DE because they've announced similar technologies. He's working off some strange parallel dimension where the terms announcement, working and shipping are all synonymous.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I feel a bit sickly bringing any traffic to such a lazy review, but here's another:

Quote:

Tiger costs $129 for all users of previous Mac OS X versions, contradicting promises from the company that every other OS X update would be free.

• Reply 4 of 60
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I didn't see anything wrong about the review. Personally I agreed with a lot of what he was saying and his article didn?t warrant another thread. Look in Insider.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Well... honestly, I think Paul, is pretty much spot on.. (pun intended)

Tiger is NOT a Major upgrade, in the grand scheme of things. Compared to point releases, I guess it is...

Still, Tiger really only adds Spotlight as a major new feature. Everything else is merely an upgrade or an outright theft of something/someone else's product (Konfabulator).

I get the feeling that Apple was "stretching" to fill out the feature list in Tiger, and decided to implement "cool" looking things to distract from the fact that not much was really added. Dashboard as Konfabulator was, is pretty much a neat novelty, but really rather useless in overall usage needs.

About the only thing that I directly disagree with in the article, is the part about Exposé. Even though I only use it maybe once or twice a day(to quickly view my desktop for something) I still see the merit in it, and think that it is a Major feature which deserves recognition.

But really, the article was a glowing review, and this coming from a staunch MS supporter, and hosted on a site called "winsupersite" is actually pretty telling.

I think the Apple Fan-boy defense routines need to be put in check here...
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

Tiger is NOT a Major upgrade, in the grand scheme of things. Compared to point releases, I guess it is...

Still, Tiger really only adds Spotlight as a major new feature. Everything else is merely an upgrade or an outright theft of something/someone else's product (Konfabulator).

I get the feeling that Apple was "stretching" to fill out the feature list in Tiger, and decided to implement "cool" looking things to distract from the fact that not much was really added. Dashboard as Konfabulator was, is pretty much a neat novelty, but really rather useless in overall usage needs.

About the only thing that I directly disagree with in the article, is the part about Exposé. Even though I only use it maybe once or twice a day(to quickly view my desktop for something) I still see the merit in it, and think that it is a Major feature which deserves recognition.

But really, the article was a glowing review, and this coming from a staunch MS supporter, and hosted on a site called "winsupersite" is actually pretty telling.

Dead On!
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:

Tiger is NOT a Major upgrade,

And you expect anyone to take anything you have to say seriously after an inane claim like that?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

And you expect anyone to take anything you have to say seriously after an inane claim like that?

How's the weather in LA? I'm comming out in a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

The review is generally positive, and has some pretty fair criticism here and there I think. The frustration is the collection of maddeningly off-base descriptions, omissions, and just flat-out wrong facts. Apple's "promise"? WTF? "Reviled" Dock? And how is comparing Exposé to DOS really a useful analogy? Is it responsible from someone who's a technology + Windows enthusiast? Sorry, there's some just seriously lazy (or purposely incendiary) writing in there.

Quote:

Personally, I find Apple's OS X releases somewhat less than major and *considerably* more than than minor -- semi-major, perhaps? I think they should be less expensive, as well. That said, I've used Tiger, and trust me, this is a more significant upgrade than Panther (and perhaps Jaguar). Spotlight + Automator + Dashboard + CoreImage/Video + dozens of small but welcome enhancements = very cool.

As for Dashboard vs Konfab , I don't really buy the "copycat / unoriginal / worthless" angle. It's eye-candy for sure, but I found Dashboard incredibly useful.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

<removed nasty comment>. Life has a way of making any statement true in some regards.

Quote:

deleted by moderator- What's the International/National standard for "point releases" there are none thus there "is" no comparison. Developers can jump from 1.0 to 5.0 if they want.

Quote:

Depends on what you call "Major". If your a scripting fan you LOVE automator and the Applescript updates. If you're a document fan then you love the support for PDF 1.5 featires. If you're an audio fan then you love the 64-bit Core Audio Format and new features of Core Audio. If you love video then you love the new Quicktime 7 and Core Image/Video.

Most of aren't asking for life shattering change. We want the little "issues" that plague are computing lives to end full stop.

Quote:

The irony here is laughable.

Quote:

Then put us in check. Tiger may not be important to you but others obviously see things in it that you don't. That's fine with us we will handle our computing in a manner that suits our own needs.

What I generally find is that "most" people do not use their computer in an "all encompassing manner" thus you have your "Video Guys" "Audio Guys" "Gaming Guys" "General Geeks"

Just because you fit into a narrow usage of your computer doesn't mean that the features aren't Major...their just not major to you. Thurrot has a right to his opinion but hearing him rant about basic PC features and then denigrate Macs is egregious to my sensibilites of lackthereof on certain days.

What I want to know is what has Apple really neglected in Tiger. They've pretty much touched everything. I'm frankly amazed that they do this for "only" $129 and that they don't serialize the OS.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    I simply made a post reflecting my opinions about the upcoming Tiger update, and the usual Apple Apologists showing up to make certain that nothing Apple-related could be looked upon in a negative light.

Within one sentence, you resort to name-calling because you have nothing better to add.

Personal attack deleted - JL

That said, I applaud you on your capabilities of finding something(anything) to bitch about, and then proceeding to invent things when you cannot find any. It is an admirable trait, I and I must say that you excel at it.

I am done with this topic - don't bother trying to bait me into further banter with you, because I have made my points and that is all that I intended to do.

Thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Hmmm lets see what some of what Apple has done.

PDF handling. We generally all use PDF. I was surprised to see forms handling built in. Acrobat 7 doesn't handle forms on the Mac with parity with windows. Kudos Apple.

Image Handling- JPEG200, HDR formats, DNG and RAW. Rocks!

Image correction using Core Image!

Scripting- Significant Applescript updates, Korn shell addition. Excellent support for automating system apps and more.

Web browsing- Faster Webcore, Inline PDF, RSS, Save pics to iPhoto, Parental Controls(whitelists)

Dictionary/Calculator support- Nice stuff here. Grapher is going to be fun. Dictionary is now a part of the system. Not just a Widget. I believe you can highlight a word and get a definition without the need for the internet.

iChat 3 - Cool stuff..wish we had windows interoperability. The iTunes

Address Book- LDAP access, Widget access and envelop printing.

VPN/Firewall/Net Diagnosics- Logging of Firewall, better VPN support and new Net Diagnostics. Not to mention ACLs

Mail- HTML support. iPhoto and Smart Folders.

I'm loving Tiger more and more. But if people want to wait for 10.5 then we'll chat about that in a couple of years
  • Reply 13 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Trolls. They're so cute at that pre-pubescent stage...

Thurrot is to the Windows world what Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh and the like are to politics and culture... all rhetoric, no facts, but somehow they manage to eke out a veneer of credibility with the weak-minded. Go figure.

FreeBSD 4.x -> 5.0 is considered a major upgrade in the BSD world. And yet, the same move in the underlying core is simply one feature item in Tiger. I'm sure Thurrot wouldn't try and argue that 4.x -> 5.0 is a 'minor bump' for FreeBSD, (because he would just plain look like an idiot), but Tiger is a superset, a large superset, of that upgrade.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

I simply made a post reflecting my opinions about the upcoming Tiger update, and the usual Apple Apologists showing up to make certain that nothing Apple-related could be looked upon in a negative light.

Aha! Playing the "Opinion Card" are we?

Quote:

Personal attack quote removed - lundy.

I've been on the site for a long time. Honestly though I try to be balance. I wanted Longhorn to keep WinFS and other stuff because technology should seek to make us more efficient. I must admit though that Apple is executing very well to ship Tiger before June. I'm not apologizing but rather acknowledging their success here.

Quote:

I am done with this topic - don't bother trying to bait me into further banter with you, because I have made my points and that is all that I intended to do.

Well thanks for your time. Hopefully after Tiger ships we'll all have far more actual experience with it and then and only then can we make the most accurate assessment. Regards.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/

April 29th, 2005 is year 0 for the Apple world without all the messy Cambodia style purging. I would not be surprised if all pre-10.4 systems will cease to exist in the minds of a good many developers. It is understandable that someone who isn't a developer wouldn't immediately grasp how huge Tiger is. It reminds me very much back to when Quicktime was first released. Very few people grasped just how huge it was and ended up confusing Quicktime the player with Quicktime as the new platform for all time-based media data.

The amount of work Apple has put into Tiger for $120 is staggering; however, a lot of the fruits of all that labor are not going to be immediately visible the day Tiger arrives on people's systems. It's going to take time for the apps that leverage Tiger's new tech to come out over this year.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    <gratuitous hyperbole>

OS X is a platform, so most features are there for developers to drool over.

Windows is an end-user application, so most features are there for users to drool over.

</gratuitous hyperbole>

• Reply 17 of 60
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Tiger is anything but Minor!

I've seen it in action and just about every single function has been upgraded! Everything is so much faster and better! I'm simply amazed!
  • Reply 18 of 60
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    All I know is XP drives me crazy enough at work as it is now while using Panther every chance I get. After I start to use Tiger, I can only imagine the agony.

People that get off saying these are only minor upgrades kind of miss the point. If you go from 10.0 to 10.3 in one leap you are astonished. If you go from 10.3.8 to Tiger, things probably won't jump out as much. But a lot is going on all over the place.

Kind of like being around your kids. You don't recognize much is changing with them because you are around them everyday. An aunt or uncle comes over who you haven't seen for awhile and they just go on and on about the changes.

Tiger is a no brainer. A must have. It looks to be the picture Apple painted for us when they presented OS X early on.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    It's quite funny watching people try to critisize Tiger. WTF does Windows have? They don't even have basic stuff - like stability and security, let alone all the cool shit.

You can tell how well Longhorn is going by reading all the interviews MS is giving. "Longhorn is going to be an important upgrade .... very significant .... security ... new icons"

Can't wait for it to be released, that should be a good laugh.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    To be fair, Longhorn will have a number of significant features for Windows users.

Just ones we've had for a couple of years now.

For XP users, it *will* be a huge upgrade. But then, so is Tiger. Or Panther, for that matter.