Should i get a IMac or PC?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I?m in the market for a new computer and I not sure wether I should get an 20 inch Imac or PC. This is mainly due to concern about an all in one computer. I need something about the same speed as an imac and I don?t want to spend $3500 - $4000 on a power mac. So I was just wounder what people who have an imac think of them.

All opinion welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Fitzy,

I do not own an iMac, but it is an awesome machine. Have you visited an Apple store by chance to try one out? Of course, it won't compare to actually having it in your home.

It is a very capable machine. Plus, since you'll own a mac, you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits: OS X, the iLife suite of applications, etc. Your computing experience will be simpler and more enjoyable.

The 20-inch iMac is really fantastic. You get a fantastic display (1680x1050 resolution), and a fantastic computer. You can't ask for much more. Be sure to put a decent amount of memory in it. What are your concerns with an all-in-one? Is it what happens if it breaks down? Well, you can buy Applecare, within the first year, and that will extend your warranty two additional years.

For the price of the iMac, you get an awesome computer and a brilliant display. You said you need something about the speed of the iMac, so a Powermac is not necessary. However, Tiger and an update to the iMac line is expected soon, so you might wait a couple weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    fitzy55fitzy55 Posts: 22member
    Because I want to here from people who have an imac and if they had any trouble and well this is the most likly place.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Both iMacs have been very well received, check out the forums on the Apple support pages for issues. I would wait till the end of April (for Tiger and the updated iMac - it looks like 512MB RAM will be included as standard). This will save you $129 for Tiger and $75 for the RAM. Get bluetooth built in as this cannot be done later (i believe). Also 80GB isn't a big hard drive so your choice there. But I've just bought a PowerBook, I was very tempted to buy an iMac but didn't because of the graphics card and I needed a portable machine. The iMac is beautiful.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    The iMac is truly a great machine. I have the 17" G5 1.8 GHz unit with 80 GB HD and Superdrive, 512 MB RAM, Bluetooth and Airport. The machine does everything well. I have had experiences with previous iMacs and have been very pleased with them and I think you will be, too. I have experienced some of the noise problems you may have heard about, but they weren't aas serious as some have tried to make them out to be. I would second some of the other advice you've seen here. There is a possibility of an iMac update soon. If you can wait, do so; if not, buy now - you won't regret it. Although I don't own one, I understand the 20" iMac is awsome!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I have a 20" and it's killer.

thats all i need to say.....
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member

This may come as a shock, but many of us won't recommend a Mac to someone for whom it's not a good fit. The number of situations that applies to keeps dropping, but there are some.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If the reason for choosing AIO is just that you don't have $3500 to spend, note that Powermacs do not have to cost that much.

Even skipping the lower cost options of used/refurbished/discount machines, the low end Powermac costs $1500 from Apple Store and you can get a 24" Dell display for $1000, so for around $2500 you have an excellent system. In the long term, separate displays and computers tend to be a more cost effective solution than AIO's.

Why don't you write something about how you are going to use the computer, what kind of tasks, software?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Thanks for the advices. I'm think I'll end up getting a Mac now. I think I might have a look at getting a power mac after Gon suggestion. In answer to what I?ll be using it for. (Graphic design - Adobe illustrator and Photoshop .ect, some 3d not hard core stuff, multimedia)

Once again thanks all suggestion welcome.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Fitzy,

If you went the Powermac route, and you only needed a 20-inch display, it would be even cheaper. Dell has those for between $500-$600.

I think the Powermac route would be great for you, but the iMac isn't a terrible decision either.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fitzy55

Thanks for the advices. I'm think I'll end up getting a Mac now. I think I might have a look at getting a power mac after Gon suggestion. In answer to what I?ll be using it for. (Graphic design - Adobe illustrator and Photoshop .ect, some 3d not hard core stuff, multimedia)

Once again thanks all suggestion welcome.

That's what the Macs prefect for, unfortunately Photoshop doesn't take advantage of more than 2GB RAM or the 64-bit (i think), or CoreImage and there's just been an update. BUT the version on the Mac is better than Windows (some Acrobat features are missing however). I'm using a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz with 1 GB RAM 128 MB VRAM and Adobe Creative Suite 1.1
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I wasn't that familiar with the iMac - but as long as I have some iMac users here - What I'd really like is a 20" imac in the kitchen. Where it can be viewed not only as a computer but as a HDTV with Pic in Pic - and still do online activity.

What's the possibility - or is there a Thread on this...
  • Reply 12 of 25
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Well if you are worried that since it is the 2nd tier computer that it won't be that good, you don't have to worry. I bought a iBook and I was also wondering if it would be a lot worse than a powerbook, but I didn't want to spend the extra money. Granted I have not used a powerbook a lot, so I may not know what I am missing, but I will say that I think my iBook is far superior than and PC I have ever used and will never switch back.

I think the iMac is very comparable to the iBook and my iBook runs very smoothly and I could not be happier with it.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

Well if you are worried that since it is the 2nd tier computer that it won't be that good, you don't have to worry. I bought a iBook and I was also wondering if it would be a lot worse than a powerbook, but I didn't want to spend the extra money. Granted I have not used a powerbook a lot, so I may not know what I am missing, but I will say that I think my iBook is far superior than and PC I have ever used and will never switch back.

I think the iMac is very comparable to the iBook and my iBook runs very smoothly and I could not be happier with it.

The iMac probably performs faster than the PowerBook.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I have a 20" imac, and it is superior to all other computers on the planet.. it is also trained to kill.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

This may come as a shock, but many of us won't recommend a Mac to someone for whom it's not a good fit. The number of situations that applies to keeps dropping, but there are some.

This is true. I wouldn't recommend an iMac to this person.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    why would anybody get a winblows, with the constant urge to put new patches everyday to thwart off viruses, trojan horses and worms, and then to add more change to gate's pocket. go with a mac. once you go mac you'll never go back. i got 4 macs and an ibook. i dont know what a virus is. except when i am running a temperature.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Why not give a mac mini a try ? I think they're awesome... if people could do pro work on a 1.25 ghz G4 two years ago, what has changed ? nothing right, powerbooks still have G4's and they're a pro machine.

The macmini is awsome value for money, and because of its formfactor and lack of bundled monitor makes it useful far into the the future. Yesterday, I had the unfortunate incident of turning on a new (old) Performa... and finding the built in CRT was broken ! The computer is useless now ! I was really looking forward to playing Dark Castle.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Thanks For your advice guys and girls.

AsLan^

Sorry I teach 3d and video as well as web development need somthing with a bit more power. But what i am not sure about is just what happened to you with you ctr, are you able to get it fixed.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fitzy55

Thanks For your advice guys and girls.

AsLan^

Sorry I teach 3d and video as well as web development need somthing with a bit more power. But what i am not sure about is just what happened to you with you ctr, are you able to get it fixed.

No, I'm afraid its going to the dumpster... not to worry. If you teach 3d and video... why half ass it with the iMac, go for the Powermac !
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Why not give a mac mini a try ? I think they're awesome... if people could do pro work on a 1.25 ghz G4 two years ago, what has changed ? nothing right, powerbooks still have G4's and they're a pro machine.

The macmini is awsome value for money, and because of its formfactor and lack of bundled monitor makes it useful far into the the future. Yesterday, I had the unfortunate incident of turning on a new (old) Performa... and finding the built in CRT was broken ! The computer is useless now ! I was really looking forward to playing Dark Castle.

It's the graphics card, the max ram and hard drive speed that make the Mac mini less desirable.